Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lowering pics Cali ocean on 30mm VW springs

Marcuk03

Marcuk03

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all

I’m trying to decide whether it’s worth lowering 2018 ocean on the standard 30 mm springs .

Are there any members who can share their pics , I’ve got a T6 ocean (it’s not a 4mtn)
std 150 dsg on 18 inch alloys.

ive been down the bilsteins route on a previous T6 transporter but can’t justify the spends at the mo.
Thanks all

Update: I’m interested to know what it looks like and whether it’s balanced on an ocean ie not sagging at the back for example.
(as they aren’t adjustable)

Some similar chat on this here

Here are before and after pics of my van. It's a 2019 on 18 inch wheels. Lowering was done with the VW dealer fitted 30mm .

Most pics taken at wheel level. When you look from a higher "eye-level" position (last pic) the van looks great. Unfortunately I don't have a comparable "eye level" before picture for comparison.

From my POV the wheels look like they fit the arches properly after the 30mm lowering and the overall stance much better

The handing thru corners is far better without the old wallowing-around. Personally I think it's terrible that they supply the van with standard springs that make you feel seasick and worry that the van is going to throw itself off the road!

front_b4_lowering.jpg
front_after_lowering.jpg

rear_after_lowering.jpgrear_before_lowering.jpg

side_before_lowering.jpgside_after_lowering.jpg

after_lowering_standingHeight.jpg

FYI I posted the above pics of the rear wheel the wrong way around. The 1st pic is the "after" pic

That is really helpful thanks a lot just what I was after
How much did you pay just out of interest ?

That is really helpful thanks a lot just what I was after
How much did you pay just out of interest ?
You're welcome.
I paid £465 in total in Jan 2020. I expect you should be able to find a price if you look in the latest price list. If you don't order with lowered springs initially (factory fit) then the dealers can do it later at the same price. Which is what I did after realising how bad the ride was

Update: I’m interested to know what it looks like and whether it’s balanced on an ocean ie not sagging at the back for example.
(as they aren’t adjustable)
They Don’t sag at the back. The front wheel arch is higher compared with the rear.

You're welcome.
I paid £465 in total in Jan 2020. I expect you should be able to find a price if you look in the latest price list. If you don't order with lowered springs initially (factory fit) then the dealers can do it later at the same price. Which is what I did after realising how bad the ride was
Yes £465 is the current dealership price for lowering. Mine is being lowered next week.

Am I right in thinking you can’t do this if you have DCC?

They Don’t sag at the back. The front wheel arch is higher compared with the rear.
1.18 inch is a magic figure that transforms looks and performance on everything, it was ever thus.

1.18 inch is a magic figure that transforms looks and performance on everything, it was ever thus.
You have to wonder why they don’t wave the wand as standard

No not true I have dcc and dealer fit lowering kit
How’s the ride with the combo? Do you need lower if you have Sport setting? Or did you lower it to help in car parks and improve the looks?

Pure practicality as we have use of a work car park that has a low ceiling and and also lots of places that have a 2m restriction.. it’s nice to have a Little more wiggle room as my wife will use it more regularly than me.
Looking better is a bonus

One of the cons of lowering that is not often mentioned is that it reduces ground clearance. If going off road or down rutted farm or forestry tracks this could be a problem.

Mine is not lowered and I already wish it had more ground clearance as I’ve previously ripped off a heat shield (£150) and bent the tow bar electrical bracket.

A simple method (rough guide) to get some idea of 30mm and 50mm body drop over standard is to use two fingers as 30mm and three as 50mm either on top of the tyre or arch highest point.

More accurate is to use strips of wood cut to 30mm and 50mm again on top of the tyre to see the body gap reduction.

Note that with the correct tyres fitted it makes no difference whether a 16" or 20" wheel fitted. Optical illusion as the eye sees the wheel rim.

Yes £465 is the current dealership price for lowering. Mine is being lowered next week.
GG and Jon A - can I ask did that price include geometry check, 4 wheel alignment and various bolts being replaced? Breeze are telling me that the £465 price is just to fit the springs and its extra to complete these other aspects - which are required to stay in warranty!

From the other thread you will see that my dealer fitted lowering springs to my 2020 T6.1 Ocean look like they were fitted incorrectly last week. Following my insistence they are now talking to VW tech and Eibach. Definitely too low at rear and rake angle incorrect. Initially dealer not interested but once possible 'safety' issue raised they have been on the case.1607335963204.jpg1607333473395.jpg1607333578924.jpg

GG and Jon A - can I ask did that price include geometry check, 4 wheel alignment and various bolts being replaced? Breeze are telling me that the £465 price is just to fit the springs and its extra to complete these other aspects - which are required to stay in warranty!
Hi Graham, Before booking mine in, I asked Citygate if the price included 4-wheel alignment and reconfiguration of ACC if necessary. They said yes.

@Rowls1958 alas I think you are correct, it doesn't look right.. I don't have a full on side profile of mine but its definitely level and slightly more gap at the front as suggested due to the body line.. but yours however has a noticable rake :( hope they resolve it soon!

IMG_2731.jpeg

It would be interesting to know just what would be excluded from warranty if the extra jobs weren't done.
Quite a few suspension parts are deemed as 'fair wear and tear' normally.

When I wanted lowered suspension (2017) I was told that it wasn't a Factory Option and VW didn't recommend it on 4M hence dealer wouldn't fit it. Vanstyle also wouldn't fit it, supply parts only, as they said that they heard that it upset the Bluemotion charging???
Went air suspension route and despite running lower than original no problem 3+ years on.

I tend to think that the warranty threat is a bit like telling kids that Santa's watching you.

Last edited:
I have to agree from that side view it looks wrong.
Forget the wheel arches, the awning, the creases in the side of the van & the sills should all be horizontal.

But zooming in on the photo, the house behind is also sloping down to the left. Its so difficult to tell without having the van on flat ground & the camera held exactly horizontal at 90 degrees to the van.

Back