Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Loose gas connection

Thanks @briwy for the pictures. Fitted it all today. The gas tube has an inner plastic type lining, very difficult to fit tubing, but with judicious use of an electric paint stripper to warm the connectors got the tubing fitted and fuel line clamps. No leaks, even with the Quick Release fitting disconnected and gas supply on. Now I can change the cylinder in minutes and no fussing around getting the valve at the correct angle so the Gas Locker Cap screws down. Gas burners all working. A much easier system. Why VW over complicated everything I just do not know. Thanks.:thumb

Welshgas,
Where did you buy parts from and what size please.

John

Gas Regulator direct from Calor.
Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 14.52.58.jpg
Quick release valve from eBay.
Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 14.54.12.jpg
15/16mm Fuel clamps from eBay
Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 14.56.10.jpg

Hi Guys,
I have followed these posts since I had my issue with the leaking shaft on my safety valve. The dealer has since replaced for me and it's working fine.
But after reading the posts there seems a lot of unwanted opportunity for leaks to occur around the safety valve and bottle especially when replacing a refill.

The screw in regulator and the inserted quick release could be the way I may go. Just depends how often I need to change the bottle out.
What I have noticed in the various posts is the size of the quick release being used. The pipe on my new ocean is 6.3mm and not 8mm so I am thinking a 6 mm quick release is required and not 8mm As shown in some posted pictures.

Hi Guys,
I have followed these posts since I had my issue with the leaking shaft on my safety valve. The dealer has since replaced for me and it's working fine.
But after reading the posts there seems a lot of unwanted opportunity for leaks to occur around the safety valve and bottle especially when replacing a refill.

The screw in regulator and the inserted quick release could be the way I may go. Just depends how often I need to change the bottle out.
What I have noticed in the various posts is the size of the quick release being used. The pipe on my new ocean is 6.3mm and not 8mm so I am thinking a 6 mm quick release is required and not 8mm As shown in some posted pictures.
Didn't want any likelihood the connection would loosen. Using the connector above you just use a hair dryer to warm the tubing and it fits easily and is solid when cooled. Worked for me.:thumb

I've finally got around to adding a quick release connector, I didn't want to cut the original gas pipe so I found this adaptor to make use of the existing screw threads:

IMG_5415.jpegIMG_5416.jpegIMG_5417.jpeg

I've finally got around to adding a quick release connector, I didn't want to cut the original gas pipe so I found this adaptor to make use of the existing screw threads:

I still have problems with my original set up coming loose so am going to try this upgrade. Can I ask where you got the quick release part from and other parts?

Here you go, all the brass connectors should be 1/4" left hand (reverse) threads:

Professional looking job, View attachment 67436View attachment 67437View attachment 67438

Is this solution intended to make it easier to take the gas bottle out and put it back in? For example when you use the bottle for a gas-bbq outside the van? Or, what its the reason you'd apply this modification?

Is this solution intended to make it easier to take the gas bottle out and put it back in? For example when you use the bottle for a gas-bbq outside the van? Or, what its the reason you'd apply this modification?
Quick cylinder change or check how much has you’ve got left. Just done it, so much easier and quicker. Also I think my old regulator had a small leak.

you can also use the quick release for back up gas supply/ bbqs etc

Quick cylinder change or check how much has you’ve got left. Just done it, so much easier and quicker. Also I think my old regulator had a small leak.

you can also use the quick release for back up gas supply/ bbqs etc

For me, I always found it a bit of a struggle or awkward removing bottle whenever I wanted to weigh it, usually done before each trip. Also I am a little concerned with the number of joints in the original setup. How tight should I tighten when replacing?. Is the rubber seal still ok? etc etc.
so thanks Brian’s dad for idea and links etc. Parts on order.

Shadrack

For me, I always found it a bit of a struggle or awkward removing bottle whenever I wanted to weigh it, usually done before each trip. Also I am a little concerned with the number of joints in the original setup. How tight should I tighten when replacing?. Is the rubber seal still ok? etc etc.
so thanks Brian’s dad for idea and links etc. Parts on order.

Shadrack
One of the other advantages, because the Regulator and tap is 1 unit you avoid the problem of having to get the OEM tap and regulator in the correct position to avoid fouling and jamming the gas locker lid. There have been a few posts in the past where owners have had the lid jam. Not easy to resolve without damage.

View attachment 67436View attachment 67437View attachment 67438
I have just done the above modification exactly as Brian's Dad (thank you). Really pleased as it make the gas bottle removal so much easier, and reduces the risk of damage to both the lid and water tank from the rather more awkward regulator set up which VW supplied.

I have left the original regulator setup laid flat in a sock above the gas bottle, just in case on continental trips (in particular in Germany), some inspection occurs and the modification is not approved (though I cannot imagine why that would be).

I also bought some (battery-less analogue) 10kg 'suitcase' hanging scales off Amazon so that I can check the gas bottle fill status. In round terms for a Campingaz 907 (or Leisuregaz 007): 6.45Kg full and 3.75Kg empty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JE6YEHQ/?tag=eliteelect-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BDEP948/?tag=eliteelect-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B532BXJX/?tag=eliteelect-21

Last edited:
Fyi both pieces of equipment have a safety function:

The gas safety valve limits max pressure in the cylinder.

The regulator limits max back pressure on the low pressure side.
Thank you, @yossarian, have I been naive?

Does this mean that the modification I just carried out is not a good idea: it sounds that way but I am struggling to understand what precisely is meant by 'limits max pressure in the cylinder' and 'limits max back pressure on the low pressure side'?

Thank you, @yossarian, have I been naive?

Does this mean that the modification I just carried out is not a good idea: it sounds that way but I am struggling to understand what precisely is meant by 'limits max pressure in the cylinder' and 'limits max back pressure on the low pressure side'?
Most likely your setup is legal in the UK, but I'm not sure.

The tap has a pressure relief function that will have it discarding vapour at about 85 Deg C as I recall. Think fire. [Edit approx 65 Deg C]

The regulator has a pressure relief function that is probably designed to operate if liquid lpg gets through the regulator and subsequently vaporizers.

These things may not be important to you.

The GOK equivalent of the regulator that goes on top is marketed as an outdoor BBQ type regulator.

Last edited:
Most likely your setup is legal in the UK, but I'm not sure.

The tap has a pressure relief function that will have it discarding vapour at about 85 Deg C as I recall. Think fire. [Edit approx 65 Deg C]

The regulator has a pressure relief function that is probably designed to operate if liquid lpg gets through the regulator and subsequently vaporizers.

These things may not be important to you.

The GOK equivalent of the regulator that goes on top is marketed as an outdoor BBQ type regulator.
Once again, thank you @yossarian, you have thoughtfully supplied thorough information which I have now studied and I am going to reinstate the original VW arrangement (and store those other pieces for an external use Cadac if/once bought).

Once again, thank you @yossarian, you have thoughtfully supplied thorough information which I have now studied and I am going to reinstate the original VW arrangement (and store those other pieces for an external use Cadac if/once bought).
The valve/Regulator you fitted is made by Campingaz for use on Campingaz 901/904 and 907 cylinders . It has a built in pressure limiting function on the high pressure/cylinder side. Designed for use in all leisure/camping situations.

The valve/Regulator you fitted is made by Campingaz for use on Campingaz 901/904 and 907 cylinders . It has a built in pressure limiting function on the high pressure/cylinder side. Designed for use in all leisure/camping situations.
Thank you @WelshGas. I guess my main concern is statutory compliance on the continent. I am certainly keeping those alternative parts which are more user friendly (and less prone to block/damage the water tank and gas compartment lid). I guess the question is whether a permanent install within a vehicle is included within “all leisure/camping situations”, or whether within a camper a higher/different standard applies.

I will contact Campingaz and, and any others influential on this, and see if they have anything to say.

Thank you @WelshGas. I guess my main concern is statutory compliance on the continent. I am certainly keeping those alternative parts which are more user friendly (and less prone to block/damage the water tank and gas compartment lid). I guess the question is whether a permanent install within a vehicle is included within “all leisure/camping situations”, or whether within a camper a higher/different standard applies.

I will contact Campingaz and, and any others influential on this, and see if they have anything to say.
If it is legal in the Country of Registration of the vehicle then it will be accepted in all European countries.

If it is legal in the Country of Registration of the vehicle then it will be accepted in all European countries.
Noted. I am going to check the legality in a UK registered vehicle of the modification, if I can. There is of course the further point that even if it is legal in the UK, and we are say in Germany, I would rather not have to argue my corner, however lawful, with a recalcitrant official.

Noted. I am going to check the legality in a UK registered vehicle of the modification, if I can. There is of course the further point that even if it is legal in the UK, and we are say in Germany, I would rather not have to argue my corner, however lawful, with a recalcitrant official.
You won't. They will not be interested.

You won't. They will not be interested.
Yes, you are probably right, in which case I will stay on the safe side (in my view, not necessarily others') and stick with the VW setup as supplied: whilst recognising that you have had your quick release arrangement etc. for many years (from posts I have seen) and you are still around to advise all of us novices!