Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Loose gas connection

TimR

TimR

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi I had a situation at the weekend when I checked and turned on the gas when on the camp site (everything working well) thenther next day drove up the road with gas tap still open (yes I know this is not best advised) and the connection between the regulator and tap had come loose and gas was spilling out - could smell it in the cab! The manual suggests not using a wrench to tighten but I'm thinking this may be required as I hadn't been a light touch when I screwed it in place first time round.

Anyone have experience of these things coming loose?

Thightening with a pliers "could" damage the seal .
It needs a good thightning by hand , and a frequent check.
Also replace the seal every time you place a new botlle , seals normaly are sold at the store who sells campingasbotlles or at DIY warehouses.
If you could smell the gas in the cabine , did you close the lid propperly ....? That should not happen .
The botlle sits on the watertank with the lid on there is no chance you get gas in the cabin as is vents at the bottom allowing the leaking gas to leave the verhicle!

I'll check the seal but the tap is a new one i think. Sounds weird as the lid was screwed well on as was the regulator! When I unscrewed the lid off at the side of the road it was really loose and you could easily hear the hissing

Why is the supplied valve and regulator such a complicated one? The one I use on my Gaz camping stove has just two connections and is made by Calor . The screw thread that fits onto the bottle and a ridged pipe out of the side for the gas pipe.
As you have an extra joint on the VW one which joins the pipe connector to the bottle connector and comes out sideways it seems almost a given that the movement of the vehicle will loosen it.
Is it to do with an unusual pressure for the cooker? This is 29 mbar or 0.8kg.h

VW California (26).JPGVW California (27).JPG

I had a leak due to this connection coming loose during our first days away.
Since then, when tightening, I always make sure the regulator is rotated clockwise firmly down against the bottle, so that no further movement, due to vibrations etc, can slacken the connection.
So far - no more problems...

Last edited:
Pleased to hear its not me thats the problem. I'll try and adjust it so its firm against the bottle and maybe use the foam wedge to keep it down in place. If it happens again think i'll look into Simon's version - looks much more simpler.

I also think it's over complicated. There's a thread on here somewere which shows the regulator as in SimonBs reply, with a quick release fitting in the rubber pipe which looks better because you don't have the nut arrangement with the rubber washer which I've failed to find anyone in this country can sell me!

I also think it's over complicated. There's a thread on here somewere which shows the regulator as in SimonBs reply, with a quick release fitting in the rubber pipe which looks better because you don't have the nut arrangement with the rubber washer which I've failed to find anyone in this country can sell me!

Yes that's us with the quick release. Put it on on our previous Cali and reminded me to get it sorted on the new one. Much easier In my opinion than the VW arrangement, the regulator can be taken on/off with the bottle out of the van. Also makes it a doddle to lift the bottle in and out.

Our as worked loose once in 3 years although no gas escaped as we turn off before driving I check the conection when turning on

Cheers briwy thats the thread I was thinking of:thumb

Yes that's us with the quick release. Put it on on our previous Cali and reminded me to get it sorted on the new one. Much easier In my opinion than the VW arrangement, the regulator can be taken on/off with the bottle out of the van. Also makes it a doddle to lift the bottle in and out.

The brass quick release valve looks really useful, is that also from Calor or a similar stockist please?
Should they be fitted by a gas fitter or certificated by them in case VW get funny later?
Thanks Simon

The brass quick release valve looks really useful, is that also from Calor or a similar stockist please?
Should they be fitted by a gas fitter or certificated by them in case VW get funny later?
Thanks Simon

Got my quick release fitting from Go Outdoors, people use them on BBQs and patio heaters. No need for gas fitter in my opinion and its got "f all" to do with VW who designed a crap system in the first place!! Obviously you can't make a warranty claim if the bits you fit leak.

The original system just seems to be very over engineered to me and has joints that are almost bound to work loose with the vibration on the van as you drive along. We have a Go Outdoors here in Bristol, and a Calor Gas Depot so I can easily get one. Thanks for your help. Simon

Do those quick release connections are ok for the safety check?

What size clips do you need?
Have already ordered valve and quick release, total ÂŁ14.50.

So long as there is no pressure drop during the test then they should be OK, but of course I'm not a qualified gas engineer. In the UK you only need a safety check if you are hiring out your Cali , is it different where you live?

Mine came with a 3 year certificate from factory ( you know the sticker on the back) .
Did not had it checked since then but wonder what would happend if pulled over by police ...in UK or Europe ?

Mine came with a 3 year certificate from factory ( you know the sticker on the back) .
Did not had it checked since then but wonder what would happend if pulled over by police ...in UK or Europe ?
In the UK, as long as it is NOT on hire - Nothing. The same on the Continent for UK registered vehicles.

Re the clips. I changed the the hose clips for the the type with the screw and nut as shown in the pictures.
Personally I don't like hose clips as a lot of them are made from crap material and they can also in my experience work loose or even strip the thread.
The scew and nut ones are actually petrol pipe clips so should be obtainable from any motor factor.
Check the tightness occasionally as the pipe will compress slightly over time.
We had one of these setups on our pre Cali Mazda Bongo for three years without any leakage problems.

They have a closing valve in one part of it which you fit to the supply side of the pipe, on the left in the picture below, and the other goes to the pipe leading to the apparatus. They are made so that you can have one gas bottle and use different tools from it. You could take a picture of this to your local Gaz stockist or camping shop. Hope this helps.
DSCF3669.JPG

SimonB , i do understand what it is ( like on pressure air hoses) , tkx anyway ...
But still you have think about safety check ...are they ok in case something might happend and insurrace trow in experts?
Some campsites or on ferry's they can ask to open your vehicle and check your installation ....no entry if not qualyfied. The main thing on ferry's is to close te botlle itself .

I too have had occasional leaks with the original system. It's awkward to tighten by hand and seems to come to quite an abrupt end rather than getting gradually tighter...as if the washer is too hard plasticky for a hand tightened joint. I check mine frequently... I've never used a tool but just make sure it's as tight as possible with my fingers. Not a great design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have a closing valve in one part of it which you fit to the supply side of the pipe, on the left in the picture below, and the other goes to the pipe leading to the apparatus. They are made so that you can have one gas bottle and use different tools from it. You could take a picture of this to your local Gaz stockist or camping shop. Hope this helps.
View attachment 10790

Is it 8mm as i will buy one for myself, excellent post

John

Of course we all know you should only tighten the gas fitting by hand, don't we?

But did you know the manufacturer of the gas tap (GOK) sells a nice little plastic tool to make tigtening just that bit easier (& tighter...)?
gokminitool_zpspiqk4vot.jpg

http://www.gok-online.de/en/news_press/aktuelle-news.php?startNews=20

https://www.svb24.com/en/gok-minitool.html#more_info

http://www.wohnkabinen-shop.de/en/g...e-system/gok-mini-tool-fuer-gasflaschenregler

So maybe we can admit to using (CAREFULLY) any other little tools we have handy?

Thanks @briwy for the pictures. Fitted it all today. The gas tube has an inner plastic type lining, very difficult to fit tubing, but with judicious use of an electric paint stripper to warm the connectors got the tubing fitted and fuel line clamps. No leaks, even with the Quick Release fitting disconnected and gas supply on. Now I can change the cylinder in minutes and no fussing around getting the valve at the correct angle so the Gas Locker Cap screws down. Gas burners all working. A much easier system. Why VW over complicated everything I just do not know. Thanks.:thumb