Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking to change wheel and tyres, all seasons

Betty67

Betty67

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Currently running 18” 245/45/18 and wanting to change to a all season tyre looking to get some 17” wheels as this seems to be more cost affective as not much choice in 18”
question is the profile would change the rolling distance which tyre size would be a direct replacement on a 17” rim and any thoughts on which all season tyre would be a good pick. Do like the Michelin agilis but not sure if it would be a good match?

Currently running 18” 245/45/18 and wanting to change to a all season tyre looking to get some 17” wheels as this seems to be more cost affective as not much choice in 18”
question is the profile would change the rolling distance which tyre size would be a direct replacement on a 17” rim and any thoughts on which all season tyre would be a good pick. Do like the Michelin agilis but not sure if it would be a good match?
Have you checked the Tyre label on the drivers door B pillar. Normally gives a range of wheel/tyre sizes.
2019-volkswagen-multivan-1200x800p (26)_0.jpg

View attachment 83981
Does seem to limit tyre choice
The wheel and tyre size combined gives the same rolling circumference so the road speed / speedometer and milometer readings are unchanged. You can fit different sized tyres but that will change the rolling circumference and hence road speed. There are comparison sites to see what the real world effect is of fitting non standard sized tyres. Also there would be an obligation to inform your insurance company if going non standard..

Have found a calculator online if i change to the standard 17” combination there is stil a slight diameter change 0.7% i presume this is in tolerance and ok without need to change anything else?

Never gone into the OCD world in trying to calculate the difference between a new tyre with what was normal 8mm tread depth and a worn with 2mm remaining - 12mm difference in diameter.

Just to add to the difficulty in getting a true comparison figure new tread depths now vary with Brand and tread design.

215/60/17 and Michelin Agilis CrossClimate thoroughly recommended. Have been bouncing around in the snow and no complaints, great handling and braking performance.

5F782849-F645-448B-AD2D-53DBC65A2CB2.jpeg

After changing to a set of 17” with M&S tyres for a trip earlier to Norway now seen a new set of 18” rims at vw breeze thought tyres would revert back to 255/45 as per door label, but recommended for rim by be is 235/50/18 although rolling size is within 1% it goes against van label, worried if this is ok or not. Love the rim.

F46FD8AA-855F-4C4E-8FA1-3FDA806140EE.jpeg

235/55/18 is a good option with a better 104 load and cheaper than the 255 width. Also gain some circumference for more distance travelled per engine rev. Fuel cost saving.

Looking at vw accessory list they seem to have downgraded the load rating for the 6.1 range, so concerned going from 103 to 101 rating is a correct option on a 6?

Looking at vw accessory list they seem to have downgraded the load rating for the 6.1 range, so concerned going from 103 to 101 rating is a correct option on a 6?
101 load has no spare load capacity especially with the pot holed roads to contend with. Better to up from 103 rather than down.

My thoughts exactly, wonder why VW recommending 101 now!
Are you sure that it is VW and not just the Dealer. I say that as it makes a cheaper option than 255's as it is aimed at the Transporter van market mainly.

If you look on the VW accessory list for 6.1 wheel upgrade it recommends 101 load rated 235/50/18 as this size there is no other option

01 18" POLISHED GLOSS BLACK, 10-SPOKE ALLOY WHEEL.
Finished in Polished Gloss Black.
18 x 8J. Requires 235/50 R18 tyre. Part Number: ZGBSHA071 498 FITTED £275.00 exc. VAT (TR) £330.00 inc. VAT

If you look on the VW accessory list for 6.1 wheel upgrade it recommends 101 load rated 235/50/18 as this size there is no other option

18 x 8J. Requires 235/50 R18 tyre. Part Number: ZGBSHA071 498 FITTED £275.00 exc. VAT (TR) £330.00 inc. VAT
Probably to do with drag factor of 255 being more than a 235 and changing the emission figure. A guess.

After changing to a set of 17” with M&S tyres for a trip earlier to Norway now seen a new set of 18” rims at vw breeze thought tyres would revert back to 255/45 as per door label, but recommended for rim by be is 235/50/18 although rolling size is within 1% it goes against van label, worried if this is ok or not. Love the rim.

View attachment 95834
Are they diamond cut? After two sets of diamond cut cascavels I can say that they don't stay looking good for long. They corrode - known as worming. I've just had mine refurbished and abandoned the diamond cut face for a black chrome powder coating.

That accessory list is not California specific - Something like a T28 van can use lower rated tyres. Your doorjamb should have a sticker stating what is suitable for your van.

Hello. I have recently just changed the wheels to some Amorok 18" wheels and opted for 235/50/18 tyres. The wheels were cheap, refurbed and a full set of Nokian All weather tyres fitted.

You must agree - It looks good without being blingy

Took the hit now fitted new wheels gone for falken fk520 255/45/18 has a good bit of rim protection even though not stated it tech specs, seems quiet and more comfortable than my old continentals.

DDF5CC12-512E-4473-A171-6A5208ABBD91.jpeg

Took the hit now fitted new wheels gone for falken fk520 255/45/18 has a good bit of rim protection even though not stated it tech specs, seems quiet and more comfortable than my old continentals.

View attachment 100180
Should have listened to the post not my heart after only 7 months one wheel is showing very bad signs of worming and another v slight 2 others ok at moment, wonder what vw will say tomorrow?
Has anyone had this issue with these wheels? So soon?

Last edited:
Should have listened to the post not my heart after only 7 months one wheel is showing very bad signs of worming and another v slight 2 others ok at moment, wonder what vw will say tomorrow?
Has anyone had this issue with these wheels? So soon?
Some have had genuine VW Diamond Cut wheels replaced FOC by VW.

Back