Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking for suggestion for Lake district

Betty67

Betty67

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I know there are lots of large camping grounds in the Lake district but trying to find a Van friendly small site is like wading through treacle. Prefer site with pub and need toilet block as wife won't let me get a elsan loo for the van. So some recommendations would be grateful as heading up middle of May for first outing of year and its years since visiting the Lakes.

Hi Betty67, stayed here in November 2019 and it is excellent. NT Great Langdale, Ambleside, Cumbria, LA22 9JU. Pub within walking distance, breath taking views and excellent facilities.

Heard great things about Great langdale (and its sister sites), but unfortunately its been booked up when we’ve tried to book.

I’ve really like Sykeside which is the bottom of the Kirkstone pass - I’ve been a few times. It’s quite a small site, with a great pub attached.

Have booked sykeside for 1 night as this is a favourite stop from my child hood camping days i hope it lives up to my memory.

Sykeside is a good recommend. So is national trust langdale. You can walk bowfell from there and the langdale pikes. 2 good.pubs in walking distance too. If your brave enough check out jakes rake on pavey ark.Also check out seathwaite farm borrowdale ( stunning spot ) with the langstrath inn at the end of the lane. Another great camp is national trust wasdale head. Some of the best walks in the country from there. And the remote wasdale head inn for a pint. If you need facilities and shops etc try waterside house pooley bridge. Cracking camp by ullswater with walks over Arthur's pike and into pooley bridge. Best pub in pooley bridge by far is the sun inn. And they also do camping out back. Don't bother with windermere.

Sykeside is a good recommend. So is national trust langdale. You can walk bowfell from there and the langdale pikes. 2 good.pubs in walking distance too. If your brave enough check out jakes rake on pavey ark.Also check out seathwaite farm borrowdale ( stunning spot ) with the langstrath inn at the end of the lane. Another great camp is national trust wasdale head. Some of the best walks in the country from there. And the remote wasdale head inn for a pint. If you need facilities and shops etc try waterside house pooley bridge. Cracking camp by ullswater with walks over Arthur's pike and into pooley bridge. Best pub in pooley bridge by far is the sun inn. And they also do camping out back. Don't bother with windermere.
Great suggestions, thanks all fingers crossed for nice weather.

Fisher Ground - Eskdale, or any other the others just along the road.

This is also nice.

I know there are lots of large camping grounds in the Lake district but trying to find a Van friendly small site is like wading through treacle. Prefer site with pub and need toilet block as wife won't let me get a elsan loo for the van. So some recommendations would be grateful as heading up middle of May for first outing of year and its years since visiting the Lakes.
The one at Glenridding (gillside farm) is nice.
I’m not sure how busy it gets, it was empty when i was there last and great price(out of season though).BDD34F11-D701-43F1-AF0F-41981F36E4AA.jpeg

Syke Farm Camping, Buttermere, however not open until end of month I think. Lots of walks and swim spots nearby. Campervan parking off main sloping field on hard standing, not sure about hook-ups?

We stayed here and it was terrific. Very beautiful, friendly management, walking distance to two pubs and the little Eskdale and Ravenscar Railway which is huge fun. Good walking there too https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holidays/eskdale-campsite-lake-district

Fisher Ground - Eskdale, or any other the others just along the road.

This is also nice.
We’re booked at fisherground at the end of the month. We’ve not been before so will be good to see what its like

For langdale we go here https://baysbrownfarmcampsite.co.uk/
Grass field, no hook ups or wifi but the sites good. Farmer is great on sorting out noisy folk. Pub and shop 10minutes walk and other langdale pubs can be made into a nice lowerlevel round. One for the rainy days !
Love the low level pub walk suggestion in langdale

Old dungeon ghyll, new dungeon ghyll, Stickle barn, Wainwright, and Britannia Inn. 6.5miles, good beer and good food.
ODG is great pub, sad old Trevor with one missing tooth has gone, been there since I first went in 93 !

The one at Glenridding (gillside farm) is nice.
I’m not sure how busy it gets, it was empty when i was there last and great price(out of season though).

That’s good to know. If the weather is reasonable I’m hoping to stay there with Ben and Meg 14 & 15 May to go up Striding Edge and go down Swirral Edge. Apparently their toilet block is closed so we’ll need to take our pop-a-loo.

That’s good to know. If the weather is reasonable I’m hoping to stay there with Ben and Meg 14 & 15 May to go up Striding Edge and go down Swirral Edge. Apparently their toilet block is closed so we’ll need to take our pop-a-loo.
Normally there’s a mobile chip shop van down in the village fri/sats if you’re to knackered to cook.
Hope you have better weather than me on striding edge.CEEC423A-2BCE-460F-A083-26A1D81EBACD.jpegthe other two pics are top of Helvellyn from swirls carpark different time.8669F984-E52D-4965-88CF-DB60BBCFD65E.jpeg1E1F13A3-C094-4DD7-A65F-25BFA03E6703.jpeg

We stayed at the C&MC last year - Kendal. small friendly site, walking distance to the town - about 5 minutes. There is also another site virtually next door which goes down to the lake.

Awes
Awesome effort. Was that yesterday? I'm heading to glenridding soon and hoping to tick off raise and maybe dollywagon pike.
Nope one last year swirls jan and edge was dec
I’m up in the Cairngorms walking now.
Hope the weather is on your side, to much snow on the tops for me at the mo.