Looking for advice on Trailer Assist...

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Does anyone here have VW Trailer Assist (on a Cali or other vehicle). Is it helpful? Searching the Forum for Trailer Assist didn’t give any feedback from people who have it and / or used it.

Does anyone here have VW Trailer Assist (on a Cali or other vehicle). Is it helpful? Searching the Forum for Trailer Assist didn’t give any feedback from people who have it and / or used it.
Alison, not used it on road but did do some research on it when deciding to buy the 6 or the 6.1. Have tried it on a demo Tiguan.

If you have a towing load, as with a caravan, it can be a helpful feature.

There seem to be two parts to it
1. Is where it allows you to hitch the trailer up easily and correctly. I have been doing this with just the reversing camera so that was not a deal breaker for me.
2. Where reversing is made easier - I have tried this on a demo Tiguan and it was helpful. Helpful especially if you struggle with reversing a trailer as you have to think different on steering to guide the trailer correctly. The key support is when reversing.

I think I get my head relatively easily around reversing, so it was not much of a deal breaker for me so went with a t6.

In your case, the decision will be based on how good you think you are with reversing a trailer. If you are a master then you don't need it. If you struggle with reversing, then it is a helpful tool.

Hope this helps.

Thanks @kurienp - I have a reversing camera on my T6 and it’s great in many situations, excellent for reversing up to a trailer.
I was undecided on the Trailer Assist element for reversing with a trailer, but given the relatively small increase in price (versus the overall vehicle price) and anticipating a lot more towing with the Eriba, I decided to go for it.
I can feed back in due course when I get delivery of new van in a few months.

Hi Alison,

It look like a good bit of kit, I’m hopless at reversing with a trailer.

Have a look at this VW vid for a giggle, literally :thumb

So I was at the caravan briefly today - mainly to plug in the towbar electrics to top up the battery in the caravan.
That all worked well.
I also checked the lights - all fine.
Two things were different than when I plugged in the electrics when I had a loan caravelle.
1) the green light on the anti snaking system stayed red, and there was no ‘whirring’ noise,
2) the dash control panel did not switch to show ‘trailer assist’.
Both of these things happened with the Caravelle (even though the towball was not attached, just the electrics).
Looking through the menu’s I there is an icon for ‘Assists’. It did not show Trailer Assist. So I am wondering why this is.
It could be electrics are incorrect so the Cali is not seeing the Anti snaking device or that is has a trailer?
Or maybe the Trailer Assist is not installed?
I have ordered a 13 pin trailer socket test kit which I will check over the weekend.
I would be very interested to know what others see in the ‘Assists’ menu when not towing... does the Trailer assist show on the menu?

So the tow electric device arrived. Hooked up with engine on and I get the 2 red lights (pic) and the ‘Assist’ menu as shown.
Ignition off and I get the one red light.
Help please

7D19F209-F20C-4904-98D8-40E57986CF1B.jpeg

3DF50C34-B99E-4412-BDB1-7E54E8076AB6.jpeg

This was the 2 red lights which didn’t come through on earlier post.

954856D0-6FA9-472B-BDB0-623EE6C0A068.jpeg

This was the 2 red lights which didn’t come through on earlier post.

View attachment 76886
It looks as if the 12v power, both permanent and ignition controlled, have not been connected.
You will probably find 2 unconnected wires under the front passenger seat.
This has been mentioned before.

It looks as if the 12v power, both permanent and ignition controlled, have not been connected.
You will probably find 2 unconnected wires under the front passenger seat.
This has been mentioned before.
On a 6 week old vehicle I’m not going to investigate - but will ask the dealer.
I just hope this is the reason Trailer Assist isn’t activating... else I have more problems...

On a 6 week old vehicle I’m not going to investigate - but will ask the dealer.
I just hope this is the reason Trailer Assist isn’t activating... else I have more problems...
This is my own theory, I don’t think they wire up these 2 cables because they interfere with the Smart Charging Alternator function. It’s not detrimental to the vehicle but does effect the emissions level slightly when not towing, which may be important for any regulatory emissions tests during manufacture. Obviously the act of towing has a significant effect on emissions but so does real world driving.

Hi. Wondering if anyone has feedback on the use of Trailer Assist, since the original posting, please?

Hi. Wondering if anyone has feedback on the use of Trailer Assist, since the original posting, please?
With all the lockdowns and ordering a new Cali, I’ve not been towing with my van much yet so not tested the trailer assist function.

With all the lockdowns and ordering a new Cali, I’ve not been towing with my van much yet so not tested the trailer assist function.
Hope you get to use it soon.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just wondering if you got this sorted Alison? I hooked up to a caravan for the first time yesterday since getting a removable towbar fitted by PF Jones and the trailer assist menu didn’t appear. I just kept getting error messages every couple of minutes whilst driving. I also can’t see Trailer Assist in the menu?
Edit - just been looking through my paperwork and it looks like Trailer Assist was an optional extra which we didn’t select (not having any real plans at that time for towing - we only really specced towbar prep in case I ever wanted to fit a bike rack). So that would explain why it isn’t there! Still not sure why I’m getting bleeped at every 30 seconds with error messages though. Will have to investigate further……

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just wondering if you got this sorted Alison? I hooked up to a caravan for the first time yesterday since getting a removable towbar fitted by PF Jones and the trailer assist menu didn’t appear. I just kept getting error messages every couple of minutes whilst driving. I also can’t see Trailer Assist in the menu?
Edit - just been looking through my paperwork and it looks like Trailer Assist was an optional extra which we didn’t select (not having any real plans at that time for towing - we only really specced towbar prep in case I ever wanted to fit a bike rack). So that would explain why it isn’t there! Still not sure why I’m getting bleeped at every 30 seconds with error messages though. Will have to investigate further……
What are the error messages?

What are the error messages?
It’s saying side assist not working and parking sensors become active and obviously bleep due to it seeing the caravan as what it’s doing is recognising the caravan being hitched up and then dropping out, keeps doing that every 20-30 seconds. I’ve contacted the guy who fitted the towbar and he’s going to come back and take a look…

It’s saying side assist not working and parking sensors become active and obviously bleep due to it seeing the caravan as what it’s doing is recognising the caravan being hitched up and then dropping out, keeps doing that every 20-30 seconds. I’ve contacted the guy who fitted the towbar and he’s going to come back and take a look…
Probably an error in the coding for the towbar. Side Assist and Parking sensors should be automatically switched off when the caravan is plugged in. If you have a reversing camera that will continue operating when selecting reverse.

Probably an error in the coding for the towbar. Side Assist and Parking sensors should be automatically switched off when the caravan is plugged in. If you have a reversing camera that will continue operating when selecting reverse.
Cheers WG. Yeah it works as it should but only for about 20 seconds then drops out then comes back and so on…..

The 13pin socket on the Van has a little Microswitch in it to detect when something is plugged in. It uses that switch to turn off the Van Fog Lights and disable the sensors - sounds like the switch is a bit dodgy - or maybe the plug is not pushed in far enough so the switch it cutting in and out?? I remember on my old van the 13 pin socket was very tight.

Having said all of the above someone with a newer van than my old T5.1 has said that his doesn't use a microswitch and the electronics can get confused if the thing being towed has LED lights.... https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/initial-towing-experiences.49065/

Cheers mate, just looked and all seems ok with the connector and the caravan has older lamps. Today I’ve now got a (German) error message on the control panel basically saying to take to a VW workshop. FFS. This is getting in my nerves now. I now have no camping functions, heater, pop up roof, fridge etc. Phoned VW Assist who said as it’s still ok as a car it will need to go in to VW. They said I should get a call and it should be looked at within 48 hours…….hmm, I’m not holding my breath.
Yesterday the Aux heater came on whilst I was driving. Today the error/control panel failure. Something is really screwed.

Hi Phil,

Do you think the issue may be the coding of the tow bar or lack of it ?

surely the BCM sees something that is plugged into the wiring that it does not recognise and therefore may throw up errors elsewhere ?

Hi Phil,

Do you think the issue may be the coding of the tow bar or lack of it ?

surely the BCM sees something that is plugged into the wiring that it does not recognise and therefore may throw up errors elsewhere ?
Hi mate,
I’m hoping that what it is, the guy who fitted the towbar is coming back Friday afternoon to have a look. Fingers crossed.

Hi mate,
I’m hoping that what it is, the guy who fitted the towbar is coming back Friday afternoon to have a look. Fingers crossed.
Out of interest,

is it the Westfalia detachable tow bar you have ?
Did you already have Trailer prep from Factory ?
does the factory prep include the coding ?
assuming you had factory prep did PFJ use the factory prep or another tow bar loom to connect into your van?

if PF Jones do say it needs coding (which it does if it’s a Westy) they should not be providing an option to exclude coding !

Out of interest,

is it the Westfalia detachable tow bar you have ?
Did you already have Trailer prep from Factory ?
does the factory prep include the coding ?
assuming you had factory prep did PFJ use the factory prep or another tow bar loom to connect into your van?

if PF Jones do say it needs coding (which it does if it’s a Westy) they should not be providing an option to exclude coding !
It is a Westfalia detachable yes.
Yes we had towbar prep from the factory.
Not sure if factory prep includes coding?
PFJ said they don’t use the factory wiring loom as it’s too difficult to get to, so he fitted their own wiring loom from the front to the rear by running it underneath.
I’m not sure what he did regarding coding. Once he’d done the physical wiring he connected something up and messed about for around 20 minutes. I didn’t have the caravan when it was fitted but I do now so I’ll make sure we test it on Friday.

Back