Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Long Term Checklist

laurentfox

laurentfox

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Greetings,
Thought I posted this but didn't see it on the forum so trying again. About to fly to Australia for 2.5 months and plan on leaving my 2005 Cali parked outside (no garage available easily). Does anyone have a checklist that they use for things to do to prepare your Cali for long term non use, ie full gas tank, disconnect battery, etc? Thanks Laurent

If it were me I would disconnect all of the batteries and drain the water and waste tanks. Disconnecting the Gaz tank might also a good idea. Prop open the fridge lid a little to stop it becoming smelly.

Other than that, nothing else should be needed for 2.5 months. It is quite a short time.

Alan

If feasible (safe level ground) I would leave the van in gear with the handbrake off, perhaps put some chocks under the wheels.

Thanks Alan, all great ideas. I guess that includes the auxiliary battery? Is that under the driver's seat? (Sorry my manual is in German and still working on translating). Laurent

AlanC said:
If it were me I would disconnect all of the batteries and drain the water and waste tanks. Disconnecting the Gaz tank might also a good idea. Prop open the fridge lid a little to stop it becoming smelly.

Other than that, nothing else should be needed for 2.5 months. It is quite a short time.

Alan

Thanks Stu, I will try and do that. There is a slight incline, ie if the brake weren't on and out of gear it would roll, but if i put my plastic leveling chocks, that would be plenty. Laurent

Stu said:
If feasible (safe level ground) I would leave the van in gear with the handbrake off, perhaps put some chocks under the wheels.

laurentfox said:
Thanks Alan, all great ideas. I guess that includes the auxiliary battery? Is that under the driver's seat? (Sorry my manual is in German and still working on translating). Laurent

AlanC said:

Alan

The SE, as it is called in the UK, has 3 batteries in total. One in the engine compartment which is only used by the engine, radio and alarm etc. The other two leisure batteries are located under the wardrobe and under the left front seat, your drivers seat. These power the parking heater, fridge and all of the lighting in the back. The rear battery is easy to get access to, while the one under the seat is a pain. You may well have to remove the seat to disconnect this one. You only need to unbolt the earth cable. Chocking the wheels and letting off the handbrake is also a good idea.

Great info Alan, thanks very much. Forgot about the third battery in the wardrobe, but now that I think about it, there is a drop panel down in the storage area. I appreciate the info and will integrate it into my checklist. Cheers! Laurent

Alan[/quote][/quote]

The SE, as it is called in the UK, has 3 batteries in total. One in the engine compartment which is only used by the engine, radio and alarm etc. The other two leisure batteries are located under the wardrobe and under the left front seat, your drivers seat. These power the parking heater, fridge and all of the lighting in the back. The rear battery is easy to get access to, while the one under the seat is a pain. You may well have to remove the seat to disconnect this one. You only need to unbolt the earth cable. Chocking the wheels and letting off the handbrake is also a good idea.[/quote]

I would not worry about the batteries in a period of 2 or 3 months. The should be all right. In worst case scenario you can start the engine using other vehicle and cables. Just park it to get access with second vehicle in the front, just for case, but I do not think it would be necessary. Disconnecting the battery under seat is a pain. Engine battery will cause the windows to be programmed again, perhaps clock and other staff. Just not worth. Give the leisure batteries a good charge, switch off the central panel and it will be all right. If your Cali is the 5.1 version, then engine battery is charged through the mains, as far as I know. Then it is even more save, just charge all 3 batteries when you are back via the mains cable before starting the engine.
Then most importantly: Empty the water tanks, if you are not in south of France.
Cordialement
Andrzej

Andresz said:
I would not worry about the batteries in a period of 2 or 3 months. The should be all right. In worst case scenario you can start the engine using other vehicle and cables. Just park it to get access with second vehicle in the front, just for case, but I do not think it would be necessary. Disconnecting the battery under seat is a pain. Engine battery will cause the windows to be programmed again, perhaps clock and other staff. Just not worth. Give the leisure batteries a good charge, switch off the central panel and it will be all right. If your Cali is the 5.1 version, then engine battery is charged through the mains, as far as I know. Then it is even more save, just charge all 3 batteries when you are back via the mains cable before starting the engine.
Then most importantly: Empty the water tanks, if you are not in south of France.
Cordialement
Andrzej

Thanks Andrzej! Will definitely empty the water tanks even thought I am in the south of France, I still noticed a build up of something when I cleaned the system tank last spring. How do you mean charging by the mains first? Should I plug in the Cali to an outlet before starting it after storing? Laurent

laurentfox said:
Thanks Andrzej! Will definitely empty the water tanks even thought I am in the south of France, I still noticed a build up of something when I cleaned the system tank last spring. How do you mean charging by the mains first? Should I plug in the Cali to an outlet before starting it after storing? Laurent

Yes
If your Cali is the Face Lift model, the engine battery is charged together with leisure battery by the mains hook up. Once you are back, it does make sense to charge it rather than starting the engine with exhausted battery, when charging is so easy.
Andrzej

Don't see any need to disconnect the batteries for that period of time, you will probably have more problems disconnecting and reconnecting than leaving them alone. Cheers

I would just leave it, sure it'll be fine!

I would also just leave it - or perhaps stick a small solar panel in the windscreen plugged into the main battery via the cigarette lighter socket (like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000R0UBT8/?tag=eliteelect-21)

If I were leaving mine alone in a sunny place for a number of months, I would also put the blinds into the windscreen and side windows to keep the sun off the dash.

Thank you gentlemen, all very good points and ready to put it to use. I appreciate it and will share my checklist when completed. Cheers Laurent

There are other things you need to do. I keep an old LR Discovery for occasional use and have found the following useful:-
1) Pump the tyres up - keep them at the maximum allowed - they will slowly deflate and you don't need damaged sidewalls as they do so and the vehicle settles over a long period;
2) Leave it fully fuelled. You don't want condensation in the tank or for too much water to settle out of the diesel while you are away;
3) Clean it. Inside and out. Everything must be pristine or else food scraps from kids start to rot, minor stains on paint become permanent. Washing road salt off is a must;
4) Top up coolant and wash bottle - watch the freeze resistance of these as you don't want either to freeze solid;
5) Leave the handbrake off - it will only rust on so if you have an auto leave it in park or a manual chock the wheels, leave it in first or reverse according to any slight slope;
6) Insects and spiders can be a problem. Peppermint oil sprayed around the vehicle base or in an open container will help, but if its outside….forget it;
7) Mice and rats - like chewing cables and wires and the shelter a vehicle offers. Leave traps;
8) I use a CTEK trickle charger for the battery - the CAli is more complex than the LR in this regard so follow the advice given. I leave my VW campervan (its not a Cali) on hookup so that the batteries remain charged;
9) When you resurrect the vehicle, give it a good run - like at least an hour to get everything moving again - run the air con, the heater, open the roof, close it - but remember door seals may have become stuck so take it easy!
Hope this helps.

Bearonwheels said:
There are other things you need to do. I keep an old LR Discovery for occasional use and have found the following useful:-
1) Pump the tyres up - keep them at the maximum allowed - they will slowly deflate and you don't need damaged sidewalls as they do so and the vehicle settles over a long period;
2) Leave it fully fuelled. You don't want condensation in the tank or for too much water to settle out of the diesel while you are away;
3) Clean it. Inside and out. Everything must be pristine or else food scraps from kids start to rot, minor stains on paint become permanent. Washing road salt off is a must;
4) Top up coolant and wash bottle - watch the freeze resistance of these as you don't want either to freeze solid;
5) Leave the handbrake off - it will only rust on so if you have an auto leave it in park or a manual chock the wheels, leave it in first or reverse according to any slight slope;
6) Insects and spiders can be a problem. Peppermint oil sprayed around the vehicle base or in an open container will help, but if its outside….forget it;
7) Mice and rats - like chewing cables and wires and the shelter a vehicle offers. Leave traps;
8) I use a CTEK trickle charger for the battery - the CAli is more complex than the LR in this regard so follow the advice given. I leave my VW campervan (its not a Cali) on hookup so that the batteries remain charged;
9) When you resurrect the vehicle, give it a good run - like at least an hour to get everything moving again - run the air con, the heater, open the roof, close it - but remember door seals may have become stuck so take it easy!
Hope this helps.

Bearonwheels.
That helps immensely. Included quite a few items I never thought of. I appreciate the detailed list. Should wrap up what I was looking for. Thanks very much, Laurent

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I 've created the following checklist from all the inputs that I hope others can use. Cheers Laurent

o Wrap windshield wipers in plastic wrap
o Fill the gas tank
o Clean Car inside and out
o Leave the handbrake off-leave in first or reverse if any slope
o Pump the tyres up
o Chock the tyres
o Disconnect main battery
o Drain Water and Waste Tanks
o Leave Peppermint oil container open in car
o Trickle charger for battery
o Top Up Coolant and windshield washer
o Shut Propane valve
o Leave Fridge Lid Open
o Close Blinds
o When Starting car, run for at least an hour

Old news now for this thread, but I was recently away for 4.5 months and the battery was 50% when I finally got back in it again - started 1st twist and batteries back up to 100% after a short drive. Sweet!
I definately wouldn't bother with any battery disconnection faffing.

Back