Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

London low emission zone (LLEZ)

SarahW82

SarahW82

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi all. I can’t see a recent thread on this (but might be being stupid). We’ve just collected our brand new Cali (YAY!) and I can’t search the number plate on the LLEZ website to see if I need to register or pay LLEZ charge because it’s a new vehicle. I think the dealer said we didn’t when I ordered it but that was a lifetime ago with the long wait. Does anyone know for sure if ok to drive in London without registering (or paying)? Thanks!

I believe Euro 6 spec diesels are exempt. Just check the LLEZ still says this for your own reassurance. If this is the case you should be ok I believe.

With a Euro 6 Cali, you should only need to pay the charge in the Central London area.

Screenshot 2021-05-12 08.20.28.png

Last edited:
if you have a private number plate, be ready to receive fines though the post like I did a few times, Van was a 19 plate, eventually got it sorted after sending the V5 in, obviously their system isn’t without glitches..

Hi all. I can’t see a recent thread on this (but might be being stupid). We’ve just collected our brand new Cali (YAY!) and I can’t search the number plate on the LLEZ website to see if I need to register or pay LLEZ charge because it’s a new vehicle. I think the dealer said we didn’t when I ordered it but that was a lifetime ago with the long wait. Does anyone know for sure if ok to drive in London without registering (or paying)? Thanks!
LEZ you should be ok, but you will still need to pay if you drive inside the congestion zone, which is operating 24 hours, every day, , the congestion zone is getting expanded soon I think.

LEZ you should be ok, but you will still need to pay if you drive inside the congestion zone, which is operating 24 hours, every day, , the congestion zone is getting expanded soon I think.
Thats not right,

The ULEZ operates 24 hours a day but the Congestion Charge only operates from 07:00 until 22:00

The ULEZ currently only covers Central London

The ULEZ and CC currently cover the same area & a newer diesel cali - (anything with adblu) is ULEZ compliant so just pays the CC of £15 - and no need to pay at night.

An older diesel Cali a T5.1 for example pays 2 charges to drive in the same area £15 CC and an additional £12.50 ULEZ charge. Driving at night it would only be the ULEZ charge

From 25th October the ULEZ is expanding to basically inside the North/ south circular, so it will be £12.50 charge for outer London in an older van, The CC zone will remain the same with £15 only being charged as an extra for going into the centre.

If there is any chance at all of you driving into London I would recommend paying the £10 annual charge to register your van with autopay set up. The charge covers both schemes. I drive in a lot & despite that still wouldn't know some days if I have strayed into the zone or not.

Last edited:
Thats not right,

The ULEZ operates 24 hours a day but the Congestion Charge only operates from 07:00 until 22:00

The ULEZ and CC currently cover the same area & a newer diesel cali - (anything with adblu) is ULEZ compliant so just pays the CC of £15 - and no need to pay at night.

An older diesel Cali a T5.1 for example pays 2 charges to drive in the same area £15 CC and an additional £12.50 ULEZ charge. Driving at night it would only be the ULEZ charge

From 25th October the ULEZ is expanding to basically inside the North/ south circular, so it will be £12.50 charge for outer London in an older van, The CC zone will remain the same with £15 only being charged as an extra for going into the centre.

If there is any chance at all of you driving into London I would recommend paying the £10 annual charge to register your van with autopay set up. The charge covers both schemes. I drive in a lot & despite that still wouldn't know some days if I have strayed into the zone or not.

I should know the answer to this as I live just a few yards outside the S. Circular Road... But I don’t.

Is the new ULEZ inside the North and South Circular only or the North and South Circular and everywhere within?

The North & South Circular themselves are classed as outside the zone. Ie you can go round London free but you can't go in.

Thats not right,

Thanks Andy, that’s really helpful. It would be coming from a Lutonian (like myself although I’ve defected)

Thats not right,

Sorry I stand corrected, I used to live in Catford on the south circular, until three years ago, now live in the Lake District, just sheep up here, no cameras, I’m always on edge every time I drive into London now, there’s always something new trying to give me a fine..

Sorry I stand corrected, I used to live in Catford on the south circular, until three years ago, now live in the Lake District, just sheep up here, no cameras, I’m always on edge every time I drive into London now, there’s always something new trying to give me a fine..
Hello ex neighbour. We live in Grove Park/Lee, planning a move to the South Downs in four years.

Hello ex neighbour. We live in Grove Park/Lee, planning a move to the South Downs in four years.
It’s lovely down that way, although I once got roped into a 100 mile charity MTB ride all along the South Downs way, without any training, that day will stay with me forever...