Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lockdown

Absolutely delightful. The quintessence of pre-war MGs. An early one, given it has cycle wings?

@Borris, I would be entering that for shed of the year.
It was always my ambition to marry the landlord's daughter, but in the end I chose the postmaster's daughter who lived right next door to - you've guessed it - The Red Lion.

Absolutely delightful. The quintessence of pre-war MGs. An early one, given it has cycle wings?
Yes, the later ones are nice with their Art Deco style swept wings but I prefer the no nonsense pure racing appeal of the early cycle winged J2s. Both young chaps and young Ladies used to drive these these early Midgets out of the dealers and go straight 'orf' to race them without any modifications. They are still raced and trialed today. They are not fast compared to the slowest of modern cars and they require a fair bit of concentration to drive in a straight line, or at least mine does. Never the less it always brings a smile to my face.

When I bought that one the chap selling it (a well known vintage MG dealer), asked me if I wanted a blower fitted. Something that was common practice then. He said it will put another £10k on the value. I said no as it would mean bigger brakes and a beefed up crankshaft to cope and it would no longer be original.

Last edited:
I drive vehicle up onto ramps then use a vacuum pump to suck most of the oil out. Releasing the sump plug and oil filter does involve getting underneath but getting back up again is slightly more of a challenge. Still it's done now.
View attachment 68900
Borris, if you don't mind me asking , what's the car behind the Cali

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. Here are some snaps:
View attachment 68905
This is our eldest in the Red Lion eight years ago. He had asked if we could use my then new workshop as a pub for his daughters christening. He brews his own beer. Unfortunately, it proved so popular that I was told it had to stay as a pub. Why the Red Lion? Because I met my present wife in the Red Lion, Stodmarsh, forty eight years ago. She was the landlords daughter.
Here it is now, finished all bar some seat covers (not my department):
View attachment 68906
View attachment 68907
View attachment 68908
The last count was twenty six different gins!!!
View attachment 68909
And thirteen different single malts.
View attachment 68910View attachment 68911View attachment 68912View attachment 68913View attachment 68914
Now here's the thing; neither of us really drink that much. Unless we are with friends or relatives, a small tumbler of red once a week is about as much as we normally have with the odd G and T very occasionally. However that's not the point. This pub shed has proved to be very popular indeed and gets used much more than a workshop ever would. Everyone loves it. So much so that two of our offspring are now building their own as have two of my old chums who have imbibed in the Red Lion.

If it wasn't for the lock down I doubt if it would have been finished for another seven years.
Nice pictures of mine to follow.

When I bought that one the chap selling it (a well known vintage MG dealer), asked me if I wanted a blower fitted. Something that was common practice then. He said it will put another £10k on the value. I said no as it would mean bigger brakes and a beefed up crankshaft to cope and it would no longer be original.

Yes they had only a two-bearing crank I think?

Yes they had only a two-bearing crank I think?
Yes that's right. So over revving the engine is best avoided. I'm sure that fitting a supercharger would see a big performance gain but the rest of the car would need serious modification to cope with it. Many have done just that to their J2 over the years. I'm not interested in driving it fast so there would be no point. TBH it's a nicer drive when it's not being pushed.

The J4 was the ultimate performance version of which I believe only nine were ever produced. They were full on race cars which I've read were a bit of a handfull with a tendency to turn over.

Last edited:
@Borris, I would be entering that for shed of the year.
It was always my ambition to marry the landlord's daughter, but in the end I chose the postmaster's daughter who lived right next door to - you've guessed it - The Red Lion.
To be franked, I'm sure she has put her stamp on you by now. :thumb

Last edited:
View attachment 68905
This is our eldest in the Red Lion eight years ago. He had asked if we could use my then new workshop as a pub for his daughters christening. He brews his own beer. Unfortunately, it proved so popular that I was told it had to stay as a pub. Why the Red Lion? Because I met my present wife in the Red Lion, Stodmarsh, forty eight years ago. She was the landlords daughter.
View attachment 68906
View attachment 68907
View attachment 68908
View attachment 68909
View attachment 68910View attachment 68911View attachment 68912View attachment 68913View attachment 68914
Now here's the thing; neither of us really drink that much. Unless we are with friends or relatives, a small tumbler of red once a week is about as much as we normally have with the odd G and T very occasionally. However that's not the point. This pub shed has proved to be very popular indeed and gets used much more than a workshop ever would. Everyone loves it. So much so that two of our offspring are now building their own as have two of my old chums who have imbibed in the Red Lion.

If it wasn't for the lock down I doubt if it would have been finished for another seven years.
View attachment 68905
View attachment 68906
View attachment 68907
View attachment 68908
View attachment 68909

and here’s my Cellar Pub.

0E474E49-92DC-4EB4-B85F-890C1F0B7AA9.jpeg

31D6A0BF-4503-4B9E-B86D-8167CB03F5D3.jpeg

D9A7CC2B-3328-41A5-8C9E-254A2574DD31.jpeg

F9B2F3A7-1408-40E5-9815-942E5B30B824.jpeg

115F44B7-8624-4113-AF70-F61307004C41.jpeg

C769C052-07B0-4E66-9BBD-CF11BDD990A6.jpeg

5BA1FDFF-027F-405D-9774-58901D01C3FA.jpeg

Very nice indeed GG. :thumb
It's interesting that every home pub that I've seen has a theme and a character of its own. Whilst I'm not a football fan I love your football themed decor and blue lighting. Very sexy! It looks like a great man cave.

Is that a bar billiards table? If it is then I'm very envious. The original Red Lion had one and I spent many an hour doing battle on it.

Have you checked out other people's pub shed's on YouTube? This has to be my current favourite:

View attachment 68905
View attachment 68906
View attachment 68907
View attachment 68908
View attachment 68909

So it's all round to Borris's for the next club meet and then the week after we can have a vintage & classic car rally.

Very impressive Borris. :thumb

Back