Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling chocks

Skootyalan

Skootyalan

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Does anyone have any advice on the best levelling chocks for a California Ocean? Is there any difference in the products available?

I wouldn’t rush out any buy any levelling chocks. We’ve never used any and we are on our second Cali.

Always remember space is at a premium in a Cali and you won’t want to be carrying surplus items.

We use them almost every night. I don’t mind not being level, but my husband is really sensitive to it and doesn’t sleep well! We too have stepped Fiamma levellers. They do take up a big space and, by myself, I wouldn’t bother, but hubby wouldn’t set off without.

Don't bother, buy a small spirit level

Cut 2 pieces of decking 6” long and 2 pieces 4” long, will level the van enough in most circumstances!

We’ve got Milenco ones and use them a lot. Good thing about them is that they have ‘shaped‘ steps In them meaning that you don’t need chocks to stop rolling back.

We just have 2 of the wedge type and keep them separate so they can be pushed in to gaps if the van's full at the back.
We camp at a lot of different places and are quite often on uneven ground. They're invaluable to ensure a comfy nights sleep.
I don't think it matters much what type you have as long as they're robust.

We just have 2 of the wedge type and keep them separate so they can be pushed in to gaps if the van's full at the back.
We camp at a lot of different places and are quite often on uneven ground. They're invaluable to ensure a comfy nights sleep.
I don't think it matters much what type you have as long as they're robust.
If the vans full Elly?

Fiamma for us, came in a sturdy bag that keeps your Cali clean and they fit nicely into the gap between the kitchen and the seat.

Not used often but when there needed they are great for a fab nights sleep. We also have a folding stool as an extra step which we used all the time but especially useful when on levelling ramps.

All Cali's come with a level guide/mesure .
Pour some water in the sink ....
I use the sliding door to check if we are parked up having the front a bit higher than the rear for good night sleeping.
Placing a (transparant;)) bottle water on the kitchentop is also a good indicator.

On-topic : we carry level chocks since day one and use them frequent.
That is we do use free aires , small campsites frequent and there not all pitches are perfect flat.
If you tend to vistit large 4* campsites your pitch will be level to start with.

My other half bought 2 from a Car boot sale. She does not like it when the water does not go easily down the plug hole when washing up. :rolleyes:

All Cali's come with a level guide/mesure .
Pour some water in the sink ....
I use the sliding door to check if we are parked up having the front a bit higher than the rear for good night sleeping.
Placing a (transparant;)) bottle water on the kitchentop is also a good indicator.

On-topic : we carry level chocks since day one and use them frequent.
That is we do use free aires , small campsites frequent and there not all pitches are perfect flat.
If you tend to vistit large 4* campsites your pitch will be level to start with.
I had a small magnetic spirit level which lived in the pocket on the side of the drivers door which I placed on the sliding door step trim, worked for us. (didn't need to magnetic but that's what they had in the £ shop)

I’ve never felt the need but am now going to purchase some. As Hotel California says, you won’t need them if you’re mainly doing large sites with flat pitches but having just done the NC500 and then down to Cornwall with a mixture of Britstops, off grid and smaller sites there were a few occasions where they would have saved a bit of faffing and provided a bit more comfort.

All iPhones come with a built in spirit level (via the measure app). Android also offer similar apps.

As long as you sleep with your head higher than your feet, and you park so any slope allows the sink to drain, you don’t really need them. I never use them and I wild camp full time.

I have never used them. I have also found small glass of water place on the kitchen top allows me to find the most level / least sloping angle on a non-level field or car park.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any advice on the best levelling chocks for a California Ocean? Is there any difference in the products available?
Not sure what vehicle you have, but if you are waiting for a 6.1 there is a built in level.

Not sure what vehicle you have, but if you are waiting for a 6.1 there is a built in level.
The built in level only tells you if your level you would still require something to drive the vehicle on to to actually level it.:thumb

I worked that bit out! But we just move the van slightly until perfectly level. Drives the Mrs nuts! Which is why I do it.
Sorry, the way it read was the van self levelled but could be me with a Saturday morning foggy head, I know you have lots of Cali experience which is why i was surprised.

Last edited:
I‘ve often found myself on a sloping pitch, so I carry a set of Fiamma chocks. As for a level, I use the one that comes with the iPhone.

We’ve got Milenco ones and use them a lot. Good thing about them is that they have ‘shaped‘ steps In them meaning that you don’t need chocks to stop rolling back.

Properjob, which Milenco ones did you buy and do they fit in the space between the kitchen and the bench?

Regards from Amsterdam,
Marc.