Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery problems with nearly new T6 California from VanCentre

Hi, I have read many of these threads but havent seen the exact problem.

I am looking for advice on a VAS 6161 battery test result from VW that read 'Good-Recharge' even though it loses charge when left in the van over 1 week with no devices on (control panel reads 0.2A when switched on). VW won't accept my multimeter readings and therefore won't replace the battery under warranty. Is this VAS6161 test robust?

Many thanks in advance for any insights, Wezza

Background is as follows: I bought a 18month old T6 California Ocean in March before lockdown from CityGate Colindale (mileage only 1000 so been on forecourt for a while). I noticed during purchase process that the leisure batteries had been on 0% on a video sent to me before purchasing. When I picked the van up they had been charged and was reassured that they were fine, and if not then they would be covered by warranty. Drove home and batteries down to 80%, and then lost 10% per day till flat (0%). Recharged and same thing happened (multiple times).

Reading these forums it became clear that the batteries could be irrevocably damaged if left on forecourt with 0% for long period). Citygate told me to book into my nearest Van Centre (SMG Tonbridge) where the batteries would be investigated and replaced under warranty if faulty.

Then COVID lockdown happened and all the garages shut. When they reopened I took the van in and the garage got the batteries tested (results attached). They replaced the battery under the seat which reported a fault but not the one under the wardrobe ('rear') as the test read 'good, recharge'. They had charged the batteries before the test so the fact that this second battery was already down to 11.95V when tested is consistent with what happened on my drive. SMG say they cannot replace this battery under warranty as result of the VAS6161 says the battery is good. It still loses charge.

View attachment 63671

View attachment 63672
Hi. I feel your pain. I had exactly this problem when we bought our pre registered Ocean last year.
May nearsest van centre (not where I bought the van due to distance) replaces one battery but initially refused to replace the other one as their test said it was Ok. The van was back with them the following week as the problem was unresolved. Fast forward about 4 weeks With our van in the shop and a combination of courtesy vehicles including a rental Cali and their technician, who was clearly running out of ideas, decided to change the 2nd battery just to rule that out (something I’d been urging them to do for a month) and low and behold the problem went away.
Our van now loses no battery % between its monthly charge if we don’t use the van. We can comfortably go 3 days off grid without moving the van and still have plenty of juice left. I reckon we could do 5 days before having to drive the van to charge.
it’s really frustrating that they don’t appreciate that they can kill the batteries if they are left drained irrespective of what they’re unreliable test says.
Have you tried asking the van centre to change the other battery just as a test to rule it out?
Fingers crossed you get it sorted soon.

I ended up just replacing my starter with a new one as if they can't test a battery to see if it has an issue I have zero confidence in them ..... testing a battery is quite simple if you know how to use equipment.
no issues since....

Thanks for all the helpful posts. I’ve been quite down about the experience since buying the van and having so many supportive Messages has given me renewed resolve.
How did you get on in the end? I bought a pre-reg Cali from Colindale and having similar issues as you did. Did they replace both batteries under warranty?

How did you get on in the end? I bought a pre-reg Cali from Colindale and having similar issues as you did. Did they replace both batteries under warranty?
If you have a leisure battery problem and you are still under warranty take it to a vw van centre and tell them you want the batteries testing as you think they have gone bad. I did and they replaced them both.

The testing didn't help, but in the end I booked it into the service centre at the place I bought it. Unlike the sales team, the technicians were super helpful and swapped 2 new batteries in to see if they fixed the problem. They did so all now sorted!

The testing didn't help, but in the end I booked it into the service centre at the place I bought it. Unlike the sales team, the technicians were super helpful and swapped 2 new batteries in to see if they fixed the problem. They did so all now sorted!
Thank you for the update. I'm pleased to hear that it was sorted in the end. Ours goes in to the service centre tomorrow so fingers crossed they don't mess me about.

Thank you for the update. I'm pleased to hear that it was sorted in the end. Ours goes in to the service centre tomorrow so fingers crossed they don't mess me about.
Hi KM

see my previous post #19

They have replaced the batteries under warranty. I was impressed with the service from everyone at Wooburn Green CityGate.