Leisure Battery - My Blog

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Having never had any problems with my batteries in the first 3 years and not having any electrical knowledge to speak of let alone auto electrics I'm rather in the dark about these things.
I have used the batteries in an off grid way only a couple of times for single nights where they have basically supported the lights and the fridge. I can't recall ever using the heater off grid over night but it is regularly used to warm the vehicle before work for about 20 mins when things are frosty or icy outside.
I glance at the display console almost habitually each time the vehicle has been stood over night or during working hours and while I obviously can't recall the details nothing has ever given cause for concern.
Other than that I charge them from the mains every month or so for 24 hours + and the vehicle gets 44 + miles a day at least 3 times a week on a variation of conditions that includes A roads and motorways.

In the last month I'm more regularly seeing battery capacity down over night and battery voltage also down.
Other than the possibility of the natural ageing process starting to show the only other factors of change are:
  1. I had the under sink light 'random flashing' fixed under warranty
  2. There was a single bolt of lighting directly over my location that knocked out my next door neighbours computer, tripped my hot tub and set off numerous car alarms (which may have been from the resultant blast that you feel when the thunder is heard)
I had a few days like this (-0.2 I think can be ignored as I'd just got in and the lights and console draw power)
IMG_9715.JPG

Then after a 22 mile commute something like 12.7V and the -0.2 then 0.00 when all the courtesy lights go off. So a full recovery according to the console display. Getting back in the van after work some hours later and the same readings.
So at this point I wasn't overly concerned, then on a day soon after, I got this after 25 mins of heater on level 7 to clear ice

IMG_9802.JPG

The same commute followed and again full recovery according to the display on arrival at work and some hours later.
IMG_9805.JPG

Vehicle then sat for 24 hours no issue showing, no draw on the batteries.
IMG_9809.JPG

Then after another overnight stand stand this

IMG_9811.JPG
I then set about investigating the Cube fuse as It was suggested by some helpful forum members (on another thread that I joined in on) that if it was blown I'd be using just the first Leisure battery under the seat.
To do that I gave my self a crash course in using a multimeter that I own and that was simple enough, only to find I had good continuity reducing the reading from 1 to 0.00 when connected between the lead to the cube fuse and the battery terminal itself.
So blown cube fuse possibility is now eliminated.

But I have to say that I would have struggled to even get the red cap off the terminal nut and remove the battery in such a tight enclosure let alone remove the battery. The compartment has a lip in front, the leads rest on top of the battery and are sandwiched between the battery and a unit fixed above it.
So any tips regarding the sequence are welcome should I need to change the battery at some point?
I mean do you just struggle to pull out the battery or prise off that red cap and push the leads out of the way first?
IMG_9817.JPG

IMG_9816.JPG

After about an hour or so with van doors open so courtesy lights on it read this

IMG_9819.JPG

Last edited:
So I put the clamp back on the battery and tidied up and plugged into the EHU and will leave it for 24 hours or more. The more observant of you will notice I reset the clock by the hour from when I started..
IMG_9820.JPG

Pretty sure the issue will continue as this drainage problem feels like a step change. If it does, is there anything else it could be as opposed to the battery health?
I think I've done all I could to keep them healthy in terms of EHU charging but some people claim 13 years on a battery so I would expect 5 + years?.

Last edited:
So I put the clamp back on the battery and tidied up and plugged into the EHU and will leave it for 24 hours or more. The more observant of you will notice I reset the clock by the hour.
View attachment 73030

Pretty sure the issue will continue as this drainage problem feels like a step change. If it does, is there anything else it could be as opposed to the battery health?
I think I've dome all I could to keep them healthy in terms of EHU charging.
To assist in getting the rear battery out use something like a broad blade paint scraper or fish slice to slide te battery over the lip, and tie a strap or rope around the battery.
The unit above the battery is the Mains Charger.
The voltage on the Control panel is more accurate than the % reading. It should be measured at least 1 hr resting after charging or after disconnecting any power drain, heater, lights or fridge etc.
I had 1 cell fail on 1 Leisure Battery at 5 yrs that gave symptoms like yours. I replaced both batteries and now back to normal.
Ideally you should charge for 24 hrs, disconnect the +TV on both batteries and measure the voltage on both daily for a week. They should maintain 12.7 volts if OK.

I have that noted @WelshGas for the future thanks and the red cap? stubborn little mule should just pop off with a bit of perseverance and a long flat bladed screw driver?

Some related useful information
Replacing Leisure Batteries requires removal of the front passenger seat and therefore disconnecting the heated seat and airbag connections is probably required to rest the seat out of the way.

Some pictures that will assist you

Last edited:
My recollection is that the red cap doesn't come off at all, there is enough room to wiggle the battery out with all wires attached .

Have you checked and double checked that nothing is plugged into the cigar lighters (even an empty usb adapter can kill batteries) and the roof light if off if you have one?

It may just be the cold though..

You only need to take off the red cap to change the fuse, if it's blown, once the battery is out.

So the Cali has now been on EHU charge for 48 hrs +.
13.3 was when I climbed n and started to go up when I sat with the door shut for a moment. Should this get up to 14v? like previously (post *2)
Lets see what happens over the coming days where the temperature remains between 0 & -3 deg C
IMG_9916.JPG

Last edited:
Due to the cold weather it may take longer to fully charge your leisure batteries. On the external CTEK battery chargers there is a setting (snowflake) for low temperature charging, below 5C, that uses 14.7v/4A which they also recommended for AGM batteries. Once the temperature rises above 5C they recommend the standard car charging setting of 14.4v/4A. I assume the onboard VW charger doesn't account for low temperatures.

IMG_20210208_144115797~2.jpg

So the Cali has now been on EHU charge for 48 hrs +.
13.3 was when I climbed n and started to go up when I sat with the door shut for a moment. Should this get up to 14v? like previously (post *2)
Lets see what happens over the coming days where the temperature remains between 0 & -3 deg C
View attachment 73137
Depends at what point you are in the charging cycle.
The 13.3v is close to the float charge. 0.2 Amps is the power consumption of the Control Panel Screen. Drops to 0Amps when the screen goes Off.

OK so after the 48 + charge and below freezing temp there after, This mornings reading was
12.7V
0.0A
100%

But I forgot to take a pic before I turned the ignition key and was running a little late so here we are after work....same difference.
If this stays consistent for a while I will spend an evening in there for the hell of it with the heater on to see what happens under load.
I can remember it doing OK on a couple of previous occasions.
IMG_9920.JPG

Looking good, always check reading a couple of hours after charging via EHU or alternator for a realistic reading. The heater test will show if the batteries can hold a charge. Good luck!

Still no heater test as yet
But through a week of -2 deg C temps and a chill factor of -7 avg (if that matters) the reading stayed on 12.6v and 100%. Followed by a warmer spell of 9 deg C and of course my usual commutes.

I have just for good measure put them on charge via EHU again.
Must do the heater test soon.

Just to add to this, I've been having issues with my batteries too on my recently purchased 2015 SE. They initially seemed fine, but I had been doing a lot of driving so they had been getting topped up via the alternator. The van subsequently stood for a few weeks and on checking they had dropped to 0% and under 12v. I tried hooking up to the mains a few times (for more than 24hrs), but the batteries still dipped down to under 50% when it was removed after maybe another 24hrs.

As recommended, I removed the rear battery and hooked up to an Accumate battery conditioner (similar to CTEK) I had from a TVR I used to own and left the van for about 48hrs. The batteries have now settled at about an indicated 80% and 12.5v. This is lower than my multi-meter that shows 12.7v.

I'm unsure how much of the issue related to the cold weather as it has now warmed up, but they have stayed at 80% for about 5 days now. I'm not sure what normal operation would be and over what duration you would expect them to discharge (if any). Anyhow, going to keep an eye on them and replace if needed. Hopefully the Accumate has brought them back and saved some money in the short term but will see!

Heater Tested
So the Cali has been sat for 3 nights , the last 2 were frosty with Ice forming where water lines lets say around Zero.
The display dropped from 12.6V to 12.4V in that time.
So this morning reading 12.4 V and 80% I put the heater on level 3 for 2.25 hours.
At the end of that time (despite an initial reading drop to 12.1 V and drawing upto 10A) it was chugging along nicely and the display read this. Is that an OK performance?
I mean if I had started the test on a fully EHU charged 12.7 then unplugged it, I'm guessing the reading below would likely have said 12.7 and probably 90%
So...
a) Does that sound correct as an assumption?
b) the performance I got is ok over that period isn't it?

Also this is telling me that when I first spotted 12.2V 40% all those weeks ago it was probably during that warning up period with a high amp draw and it was on level 7. I guess it was to some degree a false scare?
IMG_9995.JPG

Last edited:
Heater Tested
So the Cali has been sat for 3 nights , the last 2 were frosty with Ice forming where water lines lets say around Zero.
The display dropped from 12.6V to 12.4V in that time.
So this morning reading 12.4 V and 80% I put the heater on level 3 for 2.25 hours.
At the end of that time (despite an initial reading drop to 12.1 V and drawing upto 10A) it was chugging along nicely and the display read this. Is that an OK performance?
I mean if I had started the test on a fully EHU charged 12.7 then unplugged it, I'm guessing the reading below would likely have said 12.7 and probably 90%
So...
a) Does that sound correct as an assumption?
b) the performance I got is ok over that period isn't it?

Also this is telling me that when I first spotted 12.2V 40% all those weeks ago it was probably during that warning up period with a high amp draw and it was on level 7. I guess it was to some degree a false scare?
View attachment 74402
They seem to be functioning OK, but I wouldn't have expected them to drop from 12.6 to 12.4 v in just 3 days if nothing is switched on. I would suggest they are beginning to show there age but with regular mains charging may continue to function reasonably well for a year or so.

They seem to be functioning OK, but I wouldn't have expected them to drop from 12.6 to 12.4 v in just 3 days if nothing is switched on. I would suggest they are beginning to show there age but with regular mains charging may continue to function reasonably well for a year or so.
Thanks for your experience @WelshGas It's kind of what I was thinking too. Supposing I had put them on charge regularly for a good period, would you suggest that more off grid use would have helped their health?

As an example (and I know nothing about different battery technologies) my MacBook doesn't always charge when I plug it in because I use in on mains power so much it recognises when I plug it in and tells me its not going to charge.
Again this is an old style message from the MacBook. More recently it elaborates on that and tells me its because I don't use the battery very often and it forces a bit of a drain charge cycle.
Screenshot 2021-01-01 at 10.59.50.png

Thanks for your experience @WelshGas It's kind of what I was thinking too. Supposing I had put them on charge regularly for a good period, would you suggest that more off grid use would have helped their health?

As an example (and I know nothing about different battery technologies) my MacBook doesn't always charge when I plug it in because I use in on mains power so much it recognises when I plug it in and tells me its not going to charge.
Again this is an old style message from the MacBook. More recently it elaborates on that and tells me its because I don't use the battery very often and it forces a bit of a drain charge cycle.
View attachment 74406
Different types of Batteries , the MacBook has a Lithium Battery - different chemistry.

I don't think more " off-grid " use would prolong their life but regular Mains Charging, as per Handbook, would.
NB: There is a reason the Warranty on Car/Leisure Batteries is rarely longer than 4 years.