Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery charge currents

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Does anybody have figures on charge rates for the leisure battery from the alternator and on a hookup?
I expect around 20-30 amps going from alternator, but don't think a hookup does more than 10 due to this will require a pretty big charger for lets say 30 amps juice from 220v.
Does SE/Ocean version show charge rates on the info display?

I have seen 16A from the mains charger but quickly drops to 10A as the batteries are never that flat. The camper display only shows a max of 20A so like you, I assumed no more than 40A from the alternator

Most I have ever seen was also 16amps, I think the codes will say what the alternator is.
Mine shows as 180 A but Im not sure that is necessarily amps.

Most I have ever seen was also 16amps, I think the codes will say what the alternator is.
Mine shows as 180 A but Im not sure that is necessarily amps.
That is the rating of the alternator, but the standard leisure split charge circuit has an 80A fuse so cannot be more than that.

So if I load the leisure battery when on hookup with 20Amps it should be draining the battery as the charger won't keep up, right?

Thanks, Loz.
I plan to put custom monitoring for the batteries with precise capacity flow meter and will post the data of currents flow. After all there is nothing on a beach.
I suspect that during driving both main and leisure batteries aren't discharged and all the sockets are fed directly by the alternator. Because the voltage is at max 14,4 right after the engine start.
Though with the hookup I see a slow voltage rise. Probably no other options for manufacturers, otherwise you could potentially blow the charger, loading over it's (lets assume 16amps max current feed)