Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery change

Welshgas
The 16A-13A adapter has arrived and the van has now been on EHU for 48 hours.
The outside temp has ranged between 3o and 8oC throughout.

Here's the display details after the charge period ......
Unhooked, and heater off, the display reads 13.0v and 100%.
Unhooked, the heater fires up fine and after giving heat for 15 mins the display reads 12.4v, 80%.
Unhooked, the heater off and about 15 mins later, the display reads 12.8v, 80%.

This sounds more promising, but the two batteries are originals and old.
What do you think?
Check the rear cube fuse on the battery, you may be only running on a single battery.

Hey @Loz, I hope you’ll be able to advise …

I’m about to connect the solar panel in my Ocean.

I’ve put the solar controller in the rear cupboard - no cables plugged at the moment but will be connecting controller to the rear battery as I understand the Ocean leisure batteries are connected parallel.

What should be the sequence of connecting the whole thing to avoid any damage?

I attached the picture of the controller and solar panel connectors…

Please let me know if you’d need any additional info or pictures.

Many thanks in advance,
Lakis

38405200-BA73-4D2B-AE96-69EFD558DA6C.jpeg

C8205B32-0BE6-4E3C-B619-ACA919DD1272.jpeg

DC5E7FA9-EE8B-467C-B100-C7F2E295D871.jpeg

Actually I found this video which explains well enough I guess. However, there is still the 2nd leisure battery connected - should this one be disconnected during connecting the panel process?

L

Actually I found this video which explains well enough I guess. However, there is still the 2nd leisure battery connected - should this one be disconnected during connecting the panel process?

L
As long as you realise the Rear Leisure Battery RED lead is still Live when disconnected from the battery, then you don't have to disconnect the Passenger seat Leisure Battery.

As long as you realise the Rear Leisure Battery RED lead is still Live when disconnected from the battery, then you don't have to disconnect the Passenger seat Leisure Battery.
Thank you for your response. Do I understand your answer correctly:

Disconnect main "-" from the rear battery and leave the "+" connected? Then (while "-" disconnected):

1. Connect "+" to "+" on the battery.
2. Connect "-" to "-" on the battery.
3. Connect "+" to "+" on the controller.
4. Connect "-" to "-" on the controller.

5. Connect main "-" back to the battery?

then:

6. Connect "+" from solar to the controller.
7. Connect "-" from solar to the controller.

Does this look like a correct order?

BR,
Lakis

All the above is fine except it is better to connect the negative to chassis and not the battery negative. Otherwise the cali overhead display will not account for the incoming charge.
Also make sure you have an inline fuse on the positive cable at the battery end to protect the cable.

Yes, I’ve got a 10A fuse on the “+” cable. So do you mean the “-“ from the controller should be connected somewhere to the car rather than the battery?

Yes, I’ve got a 10A fuse on the “+” cable. So do you mean the “-“ from the controller should be connected somewhere to the car rather than the battery?
Btw it’s a 30A controller

Right ok! I now have a 100% understanding of the process and many thanks for the suggestion to connect to the car instead of a battery to avoid incorrect battery levels and any possible errors.

BR,
Lakis

Reactions: Loz
Right ok! I now have a 100% understanding of the process and many thanks for the suggestion to connect to the car instead of a battery to avoid incorrect battery levels and any possible errors.

BR,
Lakis
The Bolt holding the Rear Leisure Battery clamp, is convenient.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I actually found a mass connection underneath the rear shelves and behind the gas container. Attached picture with the area marked in red.

All connected and seems fine. Will test charging tomorrow as finished quite late today.

@Loz thanks again for the mass connection idea... Solar power reporting for some good long off-grid action...

L

IMG_9050.jpg

IMG_9046.jpeg

IMG_9045.jpeg

IMG_8999.jpg

The Thule box is overshadowing the solar panel, which reduces the yield hefty. Maybe you could move the panel more to the end of the poptop roof.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Thanks Marc. I’ve moved the box a bit forward as indeed the battery wasn’t working properly…. All good now ✌

Greetings from London

Thanks, will do.
The Parking Heater failed to start early evening after the successful afternoon start. Outside temp much lower early evening, -3oC.
1000 thanks for this historical advice, @WelshGas Found ourselves pretty cold with a failed heater startup and fridge cutting out - looks like the batteries are on their way out with dropping voltage despite solar on a cloudy day not keeping up. Managed to get hookup and heating on. Will order Varta batteries next week.
Gel batteries 6 years old and kept on charge when cali garaged, so appears to me that gel batteries are not easy to maintain in pristine condition.

1000 thanks for this historical advice, @WelshGas Found ourselves pretty cold with a failed heater startup and fridge cutting out - looks like the batteries are on their way out with dropping voltage despite solar on a cloudy day not keeping up. Managed to get hookup and heating on. Will order Varta batteries next week.
Gel batteries 6 years old and kept on charge when cali garaged, so appears to me that gel batteries are not easy to maintain in pristine condition.
Mine failed at about 6/7 yrs. But only 1 failed to keep a charge, but both were changed. One cell had failed.

Thinking of getting these for £125 each with a 5 yr warranty - any thoughts?

Warranty (Years) 5
Ampere Hours 85
CCA (SAE) 850
Voltage12
Deep Cyclic Yes
Engine Starter Battery Yes
Battery Lifespan (cycles) 500
Length 278mm
Width 175mm
Height 190mm
Technology AGM