Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Batteries

JuanVecino2023

JuanVecino2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Bit of an odd one. Drove 130 miles yesterday, flicked it onto max charge to be safe.

Had fridge on level 4, charged one iPhone. Used one light inside for about 2 hours.

Went to close the roof this morning, said battery flat.

First question, given I need ignition on, I guess the roof works off the vehicle battery?

Second, when I checked the leisure battery on the control panel afterwards, it was very low.

Can is 2 months old.

Apologies, not read manual on this, it’s at home. I’m on the road and no auto electrician before I get crucified for dumb questions!

First off.
There are no stupide questions regarding the California. It is all about the learning curve.

Secondly, about your first question.
The roof works off the front battery I presume since we are talking about a electric roof. I guess an ocean.

About your second question is more guessing work and I leave it up to the long term owners to answer this. But I can tell you that the max charge is meant for the second battery in the living area. The fridge runs on that unit. So do the lights in that area and the booth.

Bit of an odd one. Drove 130 miles yesterday, flicked it onto max charge to be safe.

Had fridge on level 4, charged one iPhone. Used one light inside for about 2 hours.

Went to close the roof this morning, said battery flat.

First question, given I need ignition on, I guess the roof works off the vehicle battery?

Second, when I checked the leisure battery on the control panel afterwards, it was very low.

Can is 2 months old.

Apologies, not read manual on this, it’s at home. I’m on the road and no auto electrician before I get crucified for dumb questions!
The roof works Only off the Leisure Batteries. The Ignition has to be on as a safety function to stop little fingers fiddling. Presumably the little fingers wouldn't have access to the ignition keys.

What voltage is shown on the Control Panel?

First off.
There are no stupide questions regarding the California. It is all about the learning curve.

Secondly, about your first question.
The roof works off the front battery I presume since we are talking about a electric roof. I guess an ocean.

About your second question is more guessing work and I leave it up to the long term owners to answer this. But I can tell you that the max charge is meant for the second battery in the living area. The fridge runs on that unit. So do the lights in that area and the booth.
There is No first and 2nd battery. Both batteries are wired in parallel so treated as one large 150amp battery. All the leisure circuits are wired to the battery under the front passenger seat RHD or drivers seat LHD.

The roof works Only off the Leisure Batteries. The Ignition has to be on as a safety function to stop little fingers fiddling. Presumably the little fingers wouldn't have access to the ignition keys.

What voltage is shown on the Control Panel?
It’s showing 12.1V/1A - 2h50

I think the fridge was on for 18 hours max. That’s about all we used

It’s showing 12.1V/1A - 2h50

I think the fridge was on for 18 hours max. That’s about all we used
Ignore the 2 + hrs. It is an iffy calculation.
You should check the Cube fuse on the +tve terminal of the rear leisure battery. If it has blown, and they do, you are only running on 1 leisure battery.
This voltage chart is more accurate.
SoC-AGM.jpg

Ignore the 2 + hrs. It is an iffy calculation.
You should check the Cube fuse on the +tve terminal of the rear leisure battery. If it has blown, and they do, you are only running on 1 leisure battery.
This voltage chart is more accurate.
View attachment 123239

Thanks, that makes sense. Will check the fuse - even after a 100 mile 3 hour run today it was showing 11.9V on the screen.

Not certain on this, but I thought a few hours at driving would top the leisure batteries up?

Thanks, that makes sense. Will check the fuse - even after a 100 mile 3 hour run today it was showing 11.9V on the screen.

Not certain on this, but I thought a few hours at driving would top the leisure batteries up?
It should.
Voltage should rise to 14.4v whilst driving.
I'm not familiar with the T6.1 but there should be a large amp 80+ amp fuse near the underneath leisure battery. Needs checking.

As an aside on the manual point. I’d recommend to download the California on Tour app. It’s pretty much useless APART from it has a digital searchable version of the manual.
This is what my 3 Series has. I do find it useful.

There is No first and 2nd battery. Both batteries are wired in parallel so treated as one large 150amp battery. All the leisure circuits are wired to the battery under the front passenger seat RHD or drivers seat LHD.
I don’t know the specific set up of a Cali but… usually and in every case I’ve ever heard of…..
The two batteries are only connected when the van battery is charged and the split charge (or dc to dc charger depending on type leisure battery) sensor detects sufficient voltage, switches on and charges the leisure battery.
The whole point of running all leisure circuits off the leisure battery is to avoid running down the van battery, making it impossible to start or drive.
Also, the van “engine “ battery has different characteristics to a leisure battery. It needs to be able to provide high power for a short time (cranking amps).

I don’t know the specific set up of a Cali but… usually and in every case I’ve ever heard of…..
The two batteries are only connected when the van battery is charged and the split charge (or dc to dc charger depending on type leisure battery) sensor detects sufficient voltage, switches on and charges the leisure battery.
The whole point of running all leisure circuits off the leisure battery is to avoid running down the van battery, making it impossible to start or drive.
Also, the van “engine “ battery has different characteristics to a leisure battery. It needs to be able to provide high power for a short time (cranking amps).
Edit,
cali’s have two leisure batteries that are connected in parallel. Although from reading other posts, have split function. One runs the heater, the other most other things. Not sure how that works, I guess a voltage sensor or similar gizmo to isolate the feed.

Edit,
cali’s have two leisure batteries that are connected in parallel. Although from reading other posts, have split function. One runs the heater, the other most other things. Not sure how that works, I guess a voltage sensor or similar gizmo to isolate the feed.
As they are in parallel they are just seen as one battery. The one battery runs everything from the dash front seats back plus on a 6.1 all 12v sockets. There is no splitting of functions between this one battery.

In my 2016 T6 and 2022 T6.1 ocean all 3 batteries are identical AGM batterries .

Just reading a reference above; I always assumed the electric roof on the 6.1 was powered by the van battery, not the leisure batteries….is this not the case?

Just reading a reference above; I always assumed the electric roof on the 6.1 was powered by the van battery, not the leisure batteries….is this not the case?
No. It’s the Leisure Batteries. Ignition has to be on as a Safety check to ensure the roof isn’t activated accidently.
If the Leisure Batteries are too low you will get a message to start engine.

No. It’s the Leisure Batteries. Ignition has to be on as a Safety check to ensure the roof isn’t activated accidently.
If the Leisure Batteries are too low you will get a message to start engine.
That’s good to know actually

Back