Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED lights or Discover Media navigation DAB+ system

Good question with what in my view is an easy answer! LED Lights aren’t retro fitable but I suspect a suitable audio/gps device is. Another benefit of LED’s is they produce a flat beam pattern and arn’t a major problem when driving in Europe.

Also, I appreciate we all have our lines in the sand and your expenditure is going to be significant…. but is the extra £ going to be that much a deal breaker? Frankly given the expense buy both and count the cost later….

One final point to consider…. It’s much easier to sell a van with LED’s and Discover media… so you’ll recover most of the cost.

My thought is bite the bullet spec both and find the budget by turning your home thermostat down by 1 degree….

(Written whilst drunk)

Good question with what in my view is an easy answer! LED Lights aren’t retro fitable but I suspect a suitable audio/gps device is. Another benefit of LED’s is they produce a flat beam pattern and arn’t a major problem when driving in Europe.

Also, I appreciate we all have our lines in the sand and your expenditure is going to be significant…. but is the extra £ going to be that much a deal breaker? Frankly given the expense buy both and count the cost later….

One final point to consider…. It’s much easier to sell a van with LED’s and Discover media… so you’ll recover most of the cost.

My thought is bite the bullet spec both and find the budget by turning your home thermostat down by 1 degree….

(Written whilst drunk)
Actually you can retrofit LED headlights, well certainly for the T6 Beach. The problem is the £4K cost when you include the self levelling and washers!
Retrofitting a Nav system would be significantly cheaper, so yes I too would recommend ordering the LED headlights.

Last edited:
Definitely the LED lights, I hired a Cali without before I bought mine and it really is the difference of night and day .

arn’t a major problem when driving in Europe.
I read on here they know they are in Europe and change the beam pattern accordingly. Would like to know if that is true…

I read on here they know they are in Europe and change the beam pattern accordingly. Would like to know if that is true…
If I recall there is a software setting somewhere for European driving. Not actually convinced it does much though.

My uk Cali is now French registered, it has LED lights , it went through the French control technique for the lights no problem. One just sets the lights to travel.mode and that adjusts the beam for driving on the other wide of the road , the right. No issues at all and I'm never flashed at night by other drivers

Safety first, leisure second : LED lights

The in built satnav is fine, sometimes the verbal instructions Don’t tally with the screen in my experience.

Also from memory using apple maps doesn’t affect the map in the drivers screen the same as the in built system. Other than that Apple Maps is great through Carplay.

(Written whilst drunk)

I’d like to have both but for someone extra £1500 is lot of money which can be use for something else. I still might be hit by price increase which in my case is £1700. And it looks like our won’t be built before 30th June.
We will keep our Beach for long time means possibly 10 years. In that time something like inbuilt sat nav won’t make that much different.
So budget was set and I have to decide between sat nav or LED lights.

If you've ever driven a T6 with the standard lights, Led will be the first box ticked. Really not good & I'm pretty relaxed about most things. Bloody awful lights, barely usable.
H7’s are fine, it’s the weaker H4 that are rubbish.

If you've ever driven a T6 with the standard lights, Led will be the first box ticked. Really not good & I'm pretty relaxed about most things. Bloody awful lights, barely usable.

H7’s are fine, it’s the weaker H4 that are rubbish.
I'll give you the H7 are better but I tended to use my van up Welsh hillsides in Nov, avoiding fireworks & they're still inadequate. Had both.

If I recall there is a software setting somewhere for European driving. Not actually convinced it does much though.
T6 has a setting in MFD: “lights”; “travel mode” flattens the beam slightly on the offside so not to blind on coming vehicles.

T6.1 does not have the MFD setting, so suspect the lights either comply already or as with other VAG vehicles they auto adjust when Sat Nav recognise it’s on the continent

T6.1 does not have the MFD setting, so suspect the lights either comply already or as with other VAG vehicles they auto adjust when Sat Nav recognise it’s on the continent

No, they don't adjust at all. The standard beam has just a slight kick up to the left which I presume is slight enough to not need deflectors. The dipped beam component has different part numbers between LHD and RHD vans.

LED every time. Just need CarPlay and Waze or similar for navigation. Can always upgrade audio later but LED much more expensive later.

We’ve ticked the full LED box on the Hymer as the current Cali with H7 Osram Nightbreakers is woeful in direct comparison to the LED on our Mini.

Biggest difference is that I don’t seem to get anywhere as tired driving at night with the LEDs.

Another vote for LEDs here. I ticked both options on our new Coast, but only because I like the way the bigger screen fills the dash on the fancy satnav. We had the upgraded satnav on our old Beach, but only H4's, and I would have had it the other way round in a heartbeat. The H4's were dire.

Back