Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED Headlamp Adjustment on EUROPEAN T6?

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi All.
As I understand it (maybe someone will confirm), IN THE UK, T6s with LED headlamps have a 'travel mode' option in the multi function display which auto adjusts the headlamps for driving on the right. (?)

Can anyone with an LED Headlamp specced EUROPEAN (LHD) T6 confirm if it has the same 'travel mode' option (for driving on the left)?

I'm importing a Cali from Europe and my local UK VW Cali Dealer incorrectly suggested stickers then said I'd have to change the complete headlamps so I gave up there and called VW UK Customer Service, who said that they don't actually know and asked if I'd called my local dealer as they might know :headbang . The European dealer says that nothing has to be done to the LED headlamps as far as they are aware.

To get the vehicle certified here the VCA gives a number of headlight options, 2 of which are:
- Original factory fitted headlights that are, through a standard feature of the vehicle, adjustable so that the beam can be changed from right dipping to left dipping

- Original factory fitted flat-beam headlights (we can not accept a right dipping beam that is adjusted to flat-beam unless that is a standard feature of the vehicle, e.g. done via operation of a lever)

As always, any help is much appreciated!
thanks S2

I have it and yes, it has the travel mode option

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

I was reading about this in the workshop manual recently, I'll find it for you.
The only beans that are definitely flat and don't need stickers are the twin H7s and H4s. But I wasn't reading it with your scenario in mind but I'll have a read of that section again tonight and report back.

Thanks chaps.... love this place! :)

No problem, if you need more info about the European model just ask

Thanks Pablo - much appreciated! I'm guessing you only have one rear fog lamp (left) but can get Miles Per Hour displayed on the multi function display?

Thanks Pablo - much appreciated! I'm guessing you only have one rear fog lamp (left) but can get Miles Per Hour displayed on the multi function display?
You can adjust the units to British in the MFD.
Regarding the rear fog lights I don't know. I'll check

You can adjust the units to British in the MFD.
Regarding the rear fog lights I don't know. I'll check

Thanks Pablo, you're most kind sir!

here it is;

1.7.3 Converting headlights from driving on right to driving on left, LED headlights

If a right-hand drive vehicle is driven in a left-hand drive country, or vice versa, the headlights must be converted. This is necessary in order to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic with the asymmetric low beam headlights.
  • The adjustment for driving on the left to driving on the right or vice versa (travel mode) is carried out in the dash panel insert using the menu.

• ♦ It is only permissible to make use of the headlight converter for a short period of time. When permanently driving in the respective country during a longer period of time, suitable headlights need to be installed according to valid specifica‐ tions.
1.8.1 Converting headlights from driving on left to driving on right, H4 headlights

If an RHD vehicle is driven in a left-traffic country, or vice versa, the headlights do not need to be adapted in any way.

1.8.2 Converting headlights from driving on left to driving on right, H7 headlights

If an RHD vehicle is driven in a left-traffic country, or vice versa, the headlights do not need to be adapted in any way.

1.8.3 Converting headlights from driving on left to driving on right, LED headlights

If a right-hand drive vehicle is driven in a left-hand drive country, or vice versa, the headlights must be converted. This is necessary in order to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic with the asymmetric low beam headlights.

here it is;

1.7.3 Converting headlights from driving on right to driving on left, LED headlights

• The adjustment for driving on the left to driving on the right or vice versa (travel mode) is carried out in the dash panel insert using the menu.

• ♦ It is only permissible to make use of the headlight converter for a short period of time. When permanently driving in the respective country during a longer period of time, suitable headlights need to be installed according to valid specifica‐ tions.

1.8.3 Converting headlights from driving on left to driving on right, LED headlights

Thanks Loz. Much appreciated. I wonder why it's only permissible for a short period of time. Not quite sure where that leaves me. Legally it would seem fine according to the VCA. Probably 1/2 of my annual mileage is in Europe anyway so in theory I'd have the same problem if I put different headlamps in!

How do you convert units (other than fuel consumption) from British imperial units to metric? I think I've exhausted menu options, but perhaps I've missed something.
Ok - done. You have to covert all to metric, and can't convert all except mpg.

It's much easier to set the ACC to the speed limit now.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu

2 rear fog lights

Hi All.
As I understand it (maybe someone will confirm), IN THE UK, T6s with LED headlamps have a 'travel mode' option in the multi function display which auto adjusts the headlamps for driving on the right. (?)

Can anyone with an LED Headlamp specced EUROPEAN (LHD) T6 confirm if it has the same 'travel mode' option (for driving on the left)?

I'm importing a Cali from Europe and my local UK VW Cali Dealer incorrectly suggested stickers then said I'd have to change the complete headlamps so I gave up there and called VW UK Customer Service, who said that they don't actually know and asked if I'd called my local dealer as they might know :headbang . The European dealer says that nothing has to be done to the LED headlamps as far as they are aware.

To get the vehicle certified here the VCA gives a number of headlight options, 2 of which are:
- Original factory fitted headlights that are, through a standard feature of the vehicle, adjustable so that the beam can be changed from right dipping to left dipping

- Original factory fitted flat-beam headlights (we can not accept a right dipping beam that is adjusted to flat-beam unless that is a standard feature of the vehicle, e.g. done via operation of a lever)

thanks S2
If you do consider changing your European lights I might be interested in buying the old ones if the price isn't too high , my situation is almost the reverse of yours ...if brexit makes it too difficult to freely move around Europe I'm going to leave UK , probably taking my Cali with me , so it will need I think LHD lights

If you do consider changing your European lights I might be interested in buying the old ones if the price isn't too high , my situation is almost the reverse of yours ...if brexit makes it too difficult to freely move around Europe I'm going to leave UK , probably taking my Cali with me , so it will need I think LHD lights
Don't mention the 'B-Word' ! :Nailbiting, besides. Will need them myself for the same reason!

Wow I only just read this. Great news - thanks Pablo!
There are 2 fitted but very surprised that they are both wired and working. Normally only the offside is wired up.

Hi there. Does anyone know if is the same on the 6.1? I'm looking at importing a lhd 6.1 with LEDs. Hoping they can be adjusted!

Hi All.

thanks S2
[/QUOTE]

I have A 6.1 ocean so will look when I get a chance

here it is;

1.8.1 Converting headlights from driving on left to driving on right, H4 headlights

1.8.2 Converting headlights from driving on left to driving on right, H7 headlights

Thanks for a very informative post, which I only saw because this thread has been resuscitated. Do you happen to have any idea where my 2014 self-leveling bi-xenons fare in all this? I travel to Scotland frequently and no one at VW seems to know if they’re flat from the factory or have been adjusted to flat by individual dealers. I have had about a 50/50 response from dealers that 1) they’re flat from factory or 2) they must be adjusted by a dealer, which is totally absurd because that means that on a given trip I’m either illegal in Spain and France, or illegal in the UK. We’ll skip the one who said I must fit a new headlight assembly in order to make such a trip.

Thanks for a very informative post, which I only saw because this thread has been resuscitated. Do you happen to have any idea where my 2014 self-leveling bi-xenons fare in all this? I travel to Scotland frequently and no one at VW seems to know if they’re flat from the factory or have been adjusted to flat by individual dealers. I have had about a 50/50 response from dealers that 1) they’re flat from factory or 2) they must be adjusted by a dealer, which is totally absurd because that means that on a given trip I’m either illegal in Spain and France, or illegal in the UK. We’ll skip the one who said I must fit a new headlight assembly in order to make such a trip.
I believe they were only Dealer adjusted.

Hi there. Does anyone know if is the same on the 6.1? I'm looking at importing a lhd 6.1 with LEDs. Hoping they can be adjusted!

Hi All.

thanks S2
[/QUOTE]

I just imported a 6.1 and they now have flat lights (all 2020 do apparantly) so no adjustment is needed according to my local vw dealer. There is no 'travel mode' any more

Hi All.

thanks S2
[/QUOTE]

I nust took my new euro spec lhd 6.1 in to vw and they now have flat lights (all 2020 do apparently) so no adjustment is needed according to my local vw dealer. There is no 'travel mode' any more...

I just imported a 6.1 and they now have flat lights (all 2020 do apparantly) so no adjustment is needed according to my local vw dealer. There is no 'travel mode' any more

[/QUOTE]

I nust took my new euro spec lhd 6.1 in to vw and they now have flat lights (all 2020 do apparently) so no adjustment is needed according to my local vw dealer. There is no 'travel mode' any more...
[/QUOTE]

@sixbynine, does it mean you don't need to adjust the light when going in and out or UK?

[/QUOTE]

@sixbynine, does it mean you don't need to adjust the light when going in and out or UK?
[/QUOTE]
I think they just deleted it .... because none of us can leave the UK so it wasn't necessary.... ;-)

Back