Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaving your California abroad to make flying visit home

maxandcali

maxandcali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hope everyone's keeping safe and well.

Wondering if anyone's ever left their California abroad and flown home for a few days, before returning? And if so, where have you left your California and what were the insurance implications? Or any other issues to consider, Covid-aside.

My wife and I are planning a big Europe road trip next summer, but have been invited to a wedding back in the UK slap bang in the middle of it (selfish, I know!). The idea would be to leave the California somewhere, fly back for the wedding, and then return to the California for the rest of our trip.

Thanks,

Max

I was contending with a similar question myself, and concluded that I’d be comfortable to leave it in the airport car park for a few nights. I didn’t consider whether there’d be insurance implications.

I was contending with a similar question myself, and concluded that I’d be comfortable to leave it in the airport car park for a few nights. I didn’t consider whether there’d be insurance implications.

I know my insurance for the UK (Comfort Insurance) doesn't allow leaving it unattended anywhere else but outside my home address for more than 48 hours, so be worth checking. They might make exceptions if they're told in advance, or for cases like airport carparks though.

I would think the best way might be to stay in, say, a little agritourismo or BandB equivalent somewhere for a night or two, then ask if you can leave the van parked there for a few days afterwards. Or tucked away somewhere out the way at a campsite you stay in, or indeed, just at the airport parking.

It would be nice to leave with 'someone' though, so they can help out if needed. (not sure what with though.)

Definitely worth a call to your insurance company, given Comfortz (and probably others) stipulations regarding parking.

I know my insurance for the UK (Comfort Insurance) doesn't allow leaving it unattended anywhere else but outside my home address for more than 48 hours, so be worth checking. They might make exceptions if they're told in advance, or for cases like airport carparks though.
I think they are ok so long as you notify them.

What about leaving it with a service station. eg Oil and filter or some other little job you have been meaning to get done. They could possibly keep it for 2-3 days
Carton of beer or some other treat on top of the cost of job.
If you visit an area regularly we have found it handy to build up a relationship with the local mechanic.

Last edited:
I could offer you a place in my underground garage near Zurich as long as the dates don’t clash with anything I have planned

If it’s only a few days leave it on a pitch near an airport on a quiet site
I’d rather pay a pitch fee and know it’s safe for when you get back!

Done this many times. Very cheaply at a storage place next to Beziers airport, one euro per day, guarded by three alsatians! Also at a train station in Chamonix for a fortnight, no problems. Campsite in Annecy too for a week. Saves a lot of driving.

Left mine in the Alps over this last winter in various places. Geneva airport on-site car parks and off site. Dole Airport near Dijon (free!) with very cheap flights from Stanstead and also a remote Swiss station just down the line from Geneva. Also a car repairer for a minor ding. Would love to hear of more locations.
Did not have any problems whatsoever but kept watching my ‘tracker’ - an old hidden iPhone wired up to battery with tracking running on it. Also left it with steering wheel lock in place and front wheels hard over to make towing more difficult. It was a no brainer for a number of enjoyable ski trips.
Left ski gear in van all covered up. My insurance allows 90 days abroad.

Back