Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leather trim upgrade: confused over VW prices

P

Paul S

VIP Member
Just called in at Leicester Van Centre, very helpful but couldn't explain why there are 2 choices for leather and alcantara trim in the Cali SE price list. They sincerely thought that there was only 1 option.

The brochure shows trim code ZJ at £860 or code LD at £1400. Now I'm not tight but am questioning the need to spend an extra £540 on seats rather than on a multi function wheel and a bluetooth kit soooo in the interests of satisfying my knowledge gap what's the difference in the 2 options please.

Ta.

We have the ZJ trim which is leather outers and alcantara centres to each seat, both in the same light grey.

Can't answer to what LD would give you instead!

Simon

Looking at the generic California brochure PDF which I think I got from Volkswagen.com (I.e. not the uk one) it looks as though LD is melange alcantara with classic grey leather.

Melange = milky coffee kinda colour !!

Ah, I see, thanks for that. I've seen a few pre-facelifts with that colour alcantara and to be honest I prefer the grey/grey combo so that's a win win situation for us.

Yes, melange is not my cup of tea (or coffee!!!) either....

I really don't know for sure... however on the PreFacelift models the leather trim was alcantara centre sections and vinyl outers (not real leather)

You may find that the pricier option is actually full leather.

Rgds

M

Just a thought, but you will probably end up with the VW or Inka seat covers to protect them in due course. In which case, do you need to spend on the leather at all?

The brochure makes no distinction on quality between the two - only colour.

It states for both that the leather is partly leatherette (the non contact surfaces)

Our son split my mug of mocha on the seats in France last week (leather and the alcantara - he is thorough!) but they wet wiped up as good as new... (phew!)

I think leather will survive more accidents than fabric, except sharp objects.
Personally I would have leather every time & not cover it.

We chose the "leather pack 1 - smooth option". We went for plain black leather. I like leather, it is hard wearing, easy to clean and works well. I'm not a fan of seat covers. Most spillages simply add to that nice leather patina (that is what I tell myself anyway)

It sounds like there may be different options now but we had a choice of three factory options

Leather Pack 1 - single colour and stitching with a choice of flat or pillow cuchioning.
Leather Pack 2 - two tone, either fillet panels or seat back in different colours, flat or cushioned.
Leather Pack 3 - single colour but with diamond quilted center panels.

With this "factory option" when we ordered ours, the van was delivered to the UK with cloth seats and then the seats were removed and recovered by a company in the UK (I think it was http://www.autotrim.co.uk/)

Yes, there are now just the 2 options but as per my original post there is a massive price difference between them. The brochure states that they are both alcantara and leather (with artificial leather ie, vinyl on non-contact surfaces presumably the sides and backs. It can't just be a variance in colour that makes such a difference, unless "melange" alcantara is rarer and more precious than unicorn tiddle :lol:

To be clear there are two factory alcantara+leather options plus three dealer leather options.

The dealer leather comes from the factory with fabric seats which are retrimmed in the uk before delivery.

The alcantara comes from VW's production line.

Simon

Stu said:
Probably worth logging a call with VW Customer Services.

Stu

Are some of the leather options for our mainland european friends only?

I've seen a few leftie T5's Caravelles etc with different colour panels - red for example.

So I just wondered if there was a revised option list for the UK

James

shambly said:
To be clear there are two factory alcantara+leather options plus three dealer leather options.

The dealer leather comes from the factory with fabric seats which are retrimmed in the uk before delivery.

The alcantara comes from VW's production line.

Simon

Yes, the factory fit options are listed in the California SE Options page* and the dealer fit leather is on a separate page with a photo and all the other dealer fit stuff like handsfree kits etc.

*which confusingly gives absolutely no useful info at all - does anybody ever proof read these things :headwall ?

we have light grey leather with grey alcantara centre panels and really like it. Interestingly if you order the single seat that comes trimmed to match at no extra cost!
PS dealer treated our interior with something called supaguard. spilled a bottle of red wine over seat in France (dont ask) and amazingly it went into little globules like mercury does which simply brushed off leaving no trace of a stain or anything..awesome!

Hi David

Would there be any chance you could post some photos of your leather seats? We have a cali on order and are in the process of trying to choose two tone leather grey seats - and would be really interested to see one done! It is a big outlay, and it is difficult to choose when we don't have the vehicle!

Many Thanks

Mark

scruffy said:
Hi David

Would there be any chance you could post some photos of your leather seats? We have a cali on order and are in the process of trying to choose two tone leather grey seats - and would be really interested to see one done! It is a big outlay, and it is difficult to choose when we don't have the vehicle!

Many Thanks

Mark

If the dealer is a good one they should have the leather swatch sets for the different grade leathers and colours they supply from the upholsterer used...
If not ask them to call them or ask for their number to sort out swatches ..
Then you can see the colours and show them up into a Cali on site :)