Leather or Cloth and one or two other questions

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

We have just returned from a trip to France and Spain in our T5 CALIFORNIAISH and now we have returned our hunt for a California is on, a couple of questions relating to Pre 2010 models....

1. We are viewing a Cali with a full cream leather interior. We have never seen this before, is this a factory option back in 2007 and is it hard wearing? We have a little 1 year old and are thinking it would probably we easier to keep clean by wiping jam and buttery fingers than the standard blue and grey cloth interior.

2. What climate control / air con options were available? This vehicle has controls in the front and some in the back above the rear sliding door.

3. Do all California's have heated front seats?

4. Do all California's have double glazed windows to the rear of the cab?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Hi there I will try and answer some of your questions. I hope I get them right I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong :thumb
I think you had the same option on pre facelift climate or climatronic I think if it has climatronic it will have extra vents above the fridge on the roof trim
It should have heated seats.
The rear window and the rear side windows should be double glazed the two sliders will not be
As for the leather I'm not sure

Is it the one in our for sale section :?:

Hi there..

I believe the Cream Leather wasn't an option but an after delivery change. Cream is a strange colour but will no doubt brighten the dark interior. As to how well will it hold up, firstly... how well has it held up so far? Should be a reasonable guide for a 2007 model. Secondly... If it is leather (rather than vinyl) then it should hold up exceptionally well and also respond well to cleaning.

If you have a child... ours was 5 when we first got the Cali ... I would highly recommend leather, we changed ours out quite quickly. The cloth interior is a stain magnet. It will stain from just water/rain splashes...

They came with either AirCon or Climatronic. The Climatronic is easy to spot as the controls for it are digital both front and rear. The interesting thing about the earlier AirCon models is that the aircon doesn't flow through to the rear, it's only out of the front vents. (Not that it's too much of an issue in an insulated vehicle) We opted for the Climatronic mainly due to the fact the temperature of the rear could be adjusted from the front... important to us with a child in the back who couldn't reach the controls.)

All UK Cali's have heated front seats, not sure about some of the LHD models which had more things set as optional.

All UK Cali's are double glazed from the "C" pillars back.

Hope this helps.

Rgds
M

Hi - we have a 2007 Cali, we also have aircon (Climatronic) controls in the rear - this was an option and gives '3 zone' aircon (front left (1) & right (2) and rear(3)) - I think if you hold down the 'AUTO button it switches the rear unit on too.

The rear control is to the right of the sliding door when viewed from inside.

EDIT: From some blurb in 2007 "Climatronic air conditioning.
As part of the Climatronic air conditioning
option you get an electronic 3-zone air
conditioning system with residual heat
operation features and an additional control
display for individual operation in the
living area."

We also have after market leather, and when we got the van (second hand) I tried to find out if the leather was standard and I could find nothing to state that full leather was an option, so it does seem likely that yours was after market too.

Cheers
Ian

We've got leather and love it (in a 2010) I don't think Cali's have ever had leather as a true factory option. Although you can order it, I think the seats arrive into the UK covered in cloth and are then retrimmed by a third party.

Wondering if there are any words of wisdom for us on leather seats. We are still awaiting delivery of our Nat Grey SE but have decided to have the seats retrimmed in leather when it arrives. We can let the seats be done by the official VW retrimmers or use a local (VW Peterborough) recommended retrimmer for more choice at roughly the same price. Has anyone got experience to share and are lighter colours more likely to show dirt (seems obvious that they will)?

Larkrise said:
Wondering if there are any words of wisdom for us on leather seats. We are still awaiting delivery of our Nat Grey SE but have decided to have the seats retrimmed in leather when it arrives. We can let the seats be done by the official VW retrimmers or use a local (VW Peterborough) recommended retrimmer for more choice at roughly the same price. Has anyone got experience to share and are lighter colours more likely to show dirt (seems obvious that they will)?

Haver have the factory fitted leather / alcantara in light grey (i.e. not the dealer fit leather). No dirt issues, and with a five year old, they've been well tested...

Hi Shambly,

I'm currently evaluating a purchase of a California.

I was leaning towards the Alcantara/leather interior but had seen some lukewarm comments on another thread.

Did you have the seats protected in any way? (and if so with what product).

Would you say in your experience (with a child) that they are as stain resistant as leather only?

thanks,

Mark

MarkW said:
Did you have the seats protected in any way? (and if so with what product).
Would you say in your experience (with a child) that they are as stain resistant as leather only?

Mark,

They've had no additional protective treatment.

I don't expect them to be as stain resistant as leather only as there is a pile, but they did survive, as an example, two mugs of Mocha being knocked off the table and into the seats by our son. Didn't leave a trace (wet wipes, too, are wonderful things).

We don't go out of our way to destruction test them :) so do have a set of Inca covers for tip and ikea runs etc. The rear mattress remains fabric so is the most prone so we've always left the Inka cover on that.

Simon

curtisnash said:
I used these guys http://www.transcal.co.uk/portfolio?mod_id=219 ordered then fitted in a morning while I waited. 1200 quid any colour you like Napper leather great job.

I have seen this Cali in the flesh now and can honestly say you don't get better leather.

I have owned Porsche ,rangerovers, etc and the leather is just as good, if not better.

£1200 = no brainer!

Rich Corrado said:
curtisnash said:
I used these guys http://www.transcal.co.uk/portfolio?mod_id=219 ordered then fitted in a morning while I waited. 1200 quid any colour you like Napper leather great job.

I have seen this Cali in the flesh now and can honestly say you don't get better leather.

I have owned Porsche ,rangerovers, etc and the leather is just as good, if not better.

£1200 = no brainer!

Turns out it's £1200 + VAT or the price has gone up :(

Think it may have gone up too. Was quoted £1295+Vat as a special Club price.

Does that sound reasonable?

Sorry, yes it has gone up as I found out when I rang them the other day.

But its still cheaper than VW and gives you the choice of any colour combination, stitching and patterns.

They sent me a colour chart yesterday and even do a carbon fibre effect leather.

After speaking to them in detail it actually turns out that they fit the leather in most dealer supplied cars and most of their business is with main dealers.

People think that cars come of the production line with leather but that's not always the case.

I presume theres no issues with heated seats/airbags etc?

Back