Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lake Como - Beware

Billy

Billy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We have just come back from a week at Lake Como and they have a massive migrant problem here due to the Switzerland border being closed, in various villages around the lake sadly we did not feel at all safe as they are all-men groups gathering in large numbers and felt very intimidating at times. Anyone going here I suggest you check your location before leaving.

Understandable but sad that you felt threatened by groups of migrants/refugees. The majority in the ongoing crisis are men, because whether they are coming from Syria, Iraq or North Africa, driven out by war or poverty, it tends to be the men who attempt the arduous journey first. Then they hope to bring their families later once they know they have somewhere to build a new life. Exactly what you or I would do in their situation, I'm sure.

I'm not commenting on the specific situation in Como area, you've been there not me, and you may be aware of specific crime incidents. But I hope we can feel in general that groups of refugees or other migrants aren't automatically a threat to us, even in groups and regardless of gender.

We were there a few weeks ago and didn't experience any of this... It was a stunning place, simply beautiful, wonderful people, loads of nice places to eat and amazing boat trips.

Not great news were going to lake maggiore in a couple of weeks, anyone there now or been there very recently how can advise. Billy what was the border crossing like getting into Italy ?

We were there and Lake Lugano last month and did not experience this at all. We were very pleased with the area.

That's great to hear, thanks for the quick reply, feel better now.

I think this problem has only got bad in the last week since the border closure, we have some friends over that way and they said there is a large increase in migrants every day, apparenetly petty theft is the main problem and large goups congrerating around the tourist area's.

As they are tourists, technically, where should the congregate?

petty theft is the main problem

Would that be "petty theft is the main problem - because that's obviously what happens when groups of young men from Africa or the Middle East congregate in groups"... or is there any actual evidence in this case that petty crime has increased, to any significant degree?

Sorry to be snappy, but I have some experience in contact with refugees in various parts of the world, and the automatic assumption of them as petty criminals (not unusually by the police themselves, in many countries) is depressingly commonplace.

And what precisely is the problem with "large groups congregating around the tourist areas"? Aren't migrants and refugees allowed to see the same nice buildings and lake views that we are??

What can seem petty to us in our expensive vans isn't necessarily petty to these poor people who have left behind all they had to head off into an unknown future.

It doesn't mean that these people aren't scary, aren't aggressive etc and to many that have no experience of these things, it is very uncomfortable. It doesn't mean that there isn't sympathy but human nature is what it is. There is a fear of the unknown.

That said, it is there for a reason. You don't have to stray far to find people with very different sets of values to ours.

None of us have the answer. Many of us do our little bit - some do lots, some do little.

No reason to fall out over it on here though...

This was not a post about migration, we all have our opinions and I am sick to death of people telling me how I should think.

Like all the other tourists in the area it was not a nice feeling to walk through large groups of men whilst on holiday, also I did not like them rubbing up against my 12 year old daughter at the market, neither did I like seeing them pickpocket people who were enjoying themselves on holiday.

This was not a post about migration, we all have our opinions and I am sick to death of people telling me how I should think.

Like all the other tourists in the area it was not a nice feeling to walk through large groups of men whilst on holiday, also I did not like them rubbing up against my 12 year old daughter at the market, neither did I like seeing them pickpocket people who were enjoying themselves on holiday.

Billy, I'm sorry if my posts came across as preaching at you personally. That wasn't what I meant to do, I was rather expressing my general dismay about how Europe (including the UK) looks on such people, but I apologise if I offended. Of course in the end we're all entitled to decide for ourselves what we like and don't like to experience when we're on holiday. I hope the rest of your trip is less stressful.

I am sure if any of us were homeless with no money or belongings, we would consider "petty theft" to eat and survive. I don't know why its surprising or somehow offensive that it is probably happening, I genuinely think many would do it. A large portion of crime is linked to poverty after all, this is surely no different, these poor folk have nothing.

A crowd of any young men, be they migrants or not is also intimidating to many. It is the situation that is intimidating I am sure not the individuals in the crowd. Add in cultural differences and a lack of understanding both ways and it can be uncomfortable.

I personally would be grateful for the warning, I wouldn't want to put myself around that kind of situation, doesn't meant I dont feel sorry for them.

I am sure if any of us were homeless with no money or belongings, we would consider "petty theft" to eat and survive. I don't know why its surprising or somehow offensive that it is probably happening, I genuinely think many would do it. A large portion of crime is linked to poverty after all, this is surely no different, these poor folk have nothing.

A crowd of any young men, be they migrants or not is also intimidating to many. It is the situation that is intimidating I am sure not the individuals in the crowd. Add in cultural differences and a lack of understanding both ways and it can be uncomfortable.

I personally would be grateful for the warning, I wouldn't want to put myself around that kind of situation, doesn't meant I dont feel sorry for them.

Well said, I agree entirely.

But for the grace of God go I....we should all remember that...

Isn't there an expression along the lines "most people are 5 (?) Paydays away from homelessness "

I personally find it very very sad what is happening to those unfortunate people who have literally lost everything through no fault of their own.

Isn't there an expression along the lines "most people are 5 (?) Paydays away from homelessness "

I personally find it very very sad what is happening to those unfortunate people who have literally lost everything through no fault of their own.
That's only if your on a weekly wage

It must be very recent as you say. This wasn't an issue 3 weeks ago when we spent a week there.
I hope they find homes soon.

Back