Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kombi or Beach when the Hymer Evolution arrives?

HowieDog

HowieDog

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
We have a 180 DSG SE which has been great but we are awaiting a Hymer Evolution 540 for June delivery.

We also have a Mini Cooper S which is fun but as our son grows it’s becoming less practical.

So, what should we have on the drive with the Hymer?

Hymer is only 540cm long so is useable as a 2nd car without too many constraints bar the height (which is a pretty major one).

Love the T5/6 so thinking of a Kombi or a Beach. I can’t see us using it for camping, more of a main car for the school run, throwing the bikes in the back, trips to the tip, weekly shop, etc etc.

From a long term ownership point of view the Kombi seems to offer a much lower entry point compared with a Beach but obvs less polished inside, not sure how residuals will be. I think Beach/Ocean prices more inflated than Kombi prices at the moment maybe?

But with a 6yr old boy and a crazy spaniel, something robust might be better.

Would welcome any thoughts or opinions…

Well in that case it HAS to be a Kombi…… a Beach would come with clutter you don’t need :)

Kombi would be favourite although hard to source. Caravelle might be worth considering, often ex taxi use.

This would be in the 'Cool' category on School runs

If practicalities are are priority and not camping a Kombi is a great choice

throw your gear in the back, cavernous space, still can seat five comfortably

t5.1 Kombi one of the best vehicles I have owned

IMO a beach is a severe premium for not much extra usability if your not going to camp in it

7251237C-CDD7-4971-ADDB-963FD9373E2A.jpeg

67CB1198-0122-42CC-8826-3807903C863A.jpeg

We have a 180 DSG SE which has been great but we are awaiting a Hymer Evolution 540 for June delivery.

We also have a Mini Cooper S which is fun but as our son grows it’s becoming less practical.

So, what should we have on the drive with the Hymer?

Hymer is only 540cm long so is useable as a 2nd car without too many constraints bar the height (which is a pretty major one).

Love the T5/6 so thinking of a Kombi or a Beach. I can’t see us using it for camping, more of a main car for the school run, throwing the bikes in the back, trips to the tip, weekly shop, etc etc.

From a long term ownership point of view the Kombi seems to offer a much lower entry point compared with a Beach but obvs less polished inside, not sure how residuals will be. I think Beach/Ocean prices more inflated than Kombi prices at the moment maybe?

But with a 6yr old boy and a crazy spaniel, something robust might be better.

Would welcome any thoughts or opinions…
Any opinions are welcome? So: What a strange question, you ask which car to buy as the first car (you find a Ducato van usable as a second car) and you give yourself one option: a T5/6. Now you have a T5 (5.1?) SE….
It’s clearly Sunday :D:D:D
But any thoughts would be welcome: a Dacia Jogger: it is a fine car for little money and there are certain forums of.
Or: Mercedes-Benz G 63 AMG 6X6. Special and lots of views assured.
As you can see: for me it's Sunday too, don’t take it to serious ;)

Last edited:
I'm selling a lightly used Komi over on the T6 forum. It's got pictures of it with a Kombi bed, which is an option for adding camping practicality. :)

Kombi even...

The bed also adds a decent parcel shelf and is really good for making best use of space. The Beach would also be a good choice. We have had a T6 as our only vehicle for ages and now have a little car too as my mum couldn't get up into the van but it was fine as a daily driver.

And the residuals are as robust, there's a big van community.

Kombi even...

The bed also adds a decent parcel shelf and is really good for making best use of space. The Beach would also be a good choice. We have had a T6 as our only vehicle for ages and now have a little car too as my mum couldn't get up into the van but it was fine as a daily driver.
Yes we use the Cali as a daily driver at the moment really.

Caravelle…then you have a nice interior finish, flexibility with the rear seats & no need to worry about any long term roof corrosion.

Interesting idea , but prefer something a bit bigger- room for 3 bikes inside, maybe seating up to 5, like the higher driving position of the T5/6.

So you have an se but thinking of buying a beach aswell? Or you have a hymer AND a se? Why would you do that or did I read it wrong? I've had a beach and I loved it. If I had got that amazing pull out kitchen I would have kept it cant see the dilemma here. How many times do you go to the tip?I don't buy vehicles thinking about dumping some conifers. If your not going to camp In it don't get a beach

So you have an se but thinking of buying a beach aswell? Or you have a hymer AND a se? Why would you do that or did I read it wrong? I've had a beach and I loved it. If I had got that amazing pull out kitchen I would have kept it cant see the dilemma here. How many times do you go to the tip?I don't buy vehicles thinking about dumping some conifers. If your not going to camp In it don't get a beach
Sorry wasn’t very clear. When the Hymer comes will be sellling the SE.

Also selling the Mini, thinking of replacing it with a T6 Beach or Kombi.

Surely the Hymer will satisfy all your ‘campervan’ needs……. Therefore get a Kombi for all your ‘van that will also take bikes and people’ needs. My son has the Kombi and it’s highly versatile, I would suggest you go for the 2+1 rear seats as they are much more versatile and easier to remove if required.

Side note: we had a HymerCar with the pop top, make sure you open and vent the pop top frequently as they are quite susceptible to mould.

:)

Surely the Hymer will satisfy all your ‘campervan’ needs……. Therefore get a Kombi for all your ‘van that will also take bikes and people’ needs. My son has the Kombi and it’s highly versatile, I would suggest you go for the 2+1 rear seats as they are much more versatile and easier to remove if required.

Side note: we had a HymerCar with the pop top, make sure you open and vent the pop top frequently as they are quite susceptible to mould.

:)
Thanks that’s helpful esp the 2+1 tip.

What is it with pop up roofs, you either get mould or corrosion!!

Agree about the seating...the seats are heavy, so much easier & can access the boot.

IMG_20220213_133935.jpg

If you need it to be a little more finished inside, the Merc Vito is nicer inside. Otherwise Caravelle. It really is basic. I carpet-lined. & floored plus added heater to my previous T6.

The T6.1 Beach Tour version is very good, twin sliding doors, moveable three seat bench lots of room in the middle or in the rear depending on where you position your seat, and very well presented.

I would look into a 340i touring.
Otherwise you end up with two vans doing very similar things. We have found lately town carpark barriers being installed at 1.85m & 1.9m stopping us accessing carparks.
We have a similar dilemma. 6 year old. Ocean plus Porsche Cayman which we’ve owned for 8 years. I’ve been talking about changing that car for the last 6 years, but this year I think it has to go. My brain says the BMW, my heart says 911…

Last edited:
I am not sure you can put 3 bikes inside transporter with the rear bench in place. Maybe with 2+1 with 2 seater removed. Try before buy.

Otherwise you end up with two vans doing very similar things. We have found lately town carpark barriers being installed at 1.85m & 1.9m stopping us accessing carparks.
We have a similar dilemma. 6 year old. Ocean plus Porsche Cayman which we’ve owned for 8 years. I’ve been talking about changing that car for the last 6 years, but this year I think it has to go. My brain says the BMW, my heart says 911…
We previously had a 5 series touring which was good but prefer flexibility of a van.

Good point the barriers. Maybe just pack an angle grinder?