Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen Pod alternative in Beach

N

Nathan Thomas

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, I am currently looking at kitchen pod options for a 3 seater Beach and have found this option below. The dimensions are H-750mm x D- 475mm x W- 600mm.

Can someone tell me if there is 600m clearance between the end of the bed and the front seats which means I can have this located sideways when the bed is down?

Out of interest how much distance is there between the fully laid out bed and the back seats?

Thanks
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-T4-...1329cb&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=18&sd=261069399019

Hi, I am currently looking at kitchen pod options for a 3 seater Beach and have found this option below. The dimensions are H-750mm x D- 475mm x W- 600mm.

Can someone tell me if there is 600m clearance between the end of the bed and the front seats which means I can have this located sideways when the bed is down?

Out of interest how much distance is there between the fully laid out bed and the back seats?

Thanks
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-T4-Trafic-Vito-Dayvan-Campervan-Conversion-Unit-Camper-Pod-Unit-Smev-8821/251165696094?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=38707&meid=3970b2b35b1d4ed6bdc7f90a781329cb&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=18&sd=261069399019
I would doubt you will get 600mm

I managed to squeeze in a Hauck travel cot, which according to their website is 65cm. However that was after sliding the passenger seat all the way forward and swivelling it around, so it might only work if you have a very small passenger! Unless you could slide it back while driving?

Also I had the bed slid all the way back. So far that access to the rear 12v socket was blocked.

Another option is to fold down a bit of the multiflex but that obviously reduces the length of the bed, which is already quite short in medium length.

It's about 55cm and then the seat can't be all the way back, the bottom needs to be modified so that it follows the angle of the B-pillar.
It's what I did for my Ikea Alex see here:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/ikea-alex-kitchen-pod-diy.13922/

I always wanted a sideways pod because in winter mode, it's the most practical thing.
The best one I found is maxxcamp compact but you have to turn it 90 degrees when you make up the bed and it's very expensive.
Alternatively you can fold down the 2nd part of the multiflex board, then you gain about 20cm but your bed won't be long enough anymore (1m70?)

I would check out how that unit works in terms of gas drop out?? Gas should be in a sealed chamber and will need a drop out hole cut to the floor. I am a big fan of cartridge cookers - we used two of these on our month long Europe tour this August. Not once did we need or want to cook inside - but you can easily boil a kettle inside if you want to. The cartridge cookers are powerful and very economical to run and so convenient. We bought 24 cans of the genuine camping Gaz carts delivered from Amazon at £24 delivered. Used 16 in four weeks - that was dinner using two cookers for four people every single night and about three lots of tea/coffee a day + toast too. Works out £4 a week on gas. :)

Worth looking at Slidepods. Ours is really special.

f9bba2508da02ae18facc1d60996d2f1.jpg

I managed to see an maxxcamp compact for the first time when away in Switzerland over the summer. Great kit expensive but very well made and thought out. If the slidepod inside pod comes out and doesn't suit that's what I will save up for.

The Slidepod looks very cool but I just don't get what you do in winter when it's minus five outside, the problem with the UK is our winters are longer than our summer so I feel the Slidepod is only for seasonal use. I personally would not want to be cooking dinner in November with the tailgate open letting all the hot air out.

Maybe I am missing something?

You can easily remove the slidepod and use it in your drive away awning if you have one. I've seen some with rear awnings setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Jonny has a plan for an internal smaller pod but I also know he has been so busy this year he doesn't know when it will be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happens when you fancy an impromptu cup of tea in a car park? I would feel very strange opening the tailgate and exposing my pod to everyone, also the space under the multiplex is soooo useful for storage, I would hate to lose that area.