Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen cupboard door guide

Nick.C

Nick.C

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, the bottom runner for the sliding kitchen cupboard doors in our Ocean has come a drift. Is this a common problem and is there an easy fix or should I take back to VW as a warranty issue?

Seems to me it 's been mentiond before on here , think it just can be pushed back in place .
Do a search on the forum , sure a thread will show up with more usefull intel and pictures....

Hi, the bottom runner for the sliding kitchen cupboard doors in our Ocean has come a drift. Is this a common problem and is there an easy fix or should I take back to VW as a warranty issue?
It clips in. Pull it firmly towards you.
The Dealer will probably want to take the kitchen out to fix it.

It clips in. Pull it firmly towards you.
The Dealer will probably want to take the kitchen out to fix it.
Do you have to take the doors out first? If so how are they removed and refitted?

I haven't looked in to it yet but I have this problem now, I think there is some adhesive given up rather than clips at first glance. I'll have a look before the week end.
@Nick.C did you get this fixed?

I haven't looked in to it yet but I have this problem now, I think there is some adhesive given up rather than clips at first glance. I'll have a look before the week end.
@Nick.C did you get this fixed?
I followed WelshGas instructions and with a little more pressure than I was perhaps expecting to have to use, it did just click back into place

I finally just took a look at this now its not raining and stupidly windy out there.
My runner is broken at the clip (circled) and stretches back nearly all the way along from the arrow towards the rear bench end.
Looks like its doors off to fit a new one. Something I'd rather do myself if I can. I took the 2 year warranty when I bought the Cali anyone had this replaced under warranty?
Anyone know the part number?

IMG_0369.jpg

The T6 Kitchen Door Guide Fix
OK I have replaced this.​

Here are a few pointers.

Pre-amble
  • I really don't think short cuts are worth it.​
  • You could probably take the passenger seat out instead of kitchen cupboard doors out but you'd have to be brave enough to bend the new Plastic Botton door guide a bit and risk breaking it but I doubt very much if thats easier than taking the cupboard doors off. Whats the right option? Yep the door removal.​
  • Even better (and probably necessary for when you want to put it all back together) you should take out the drawer and the shelves.​
  • There is an order to reassembly that may not be evident when you remove the broken door guide because if your doors are floating about you can disassemble in any order​
  • You only need one size Allen key but you figure it out because if you can't perhaps you shouldn't attempt this job. :Nailbiting
OK some steps

1. Here is the look of the plastic door guide with a broken locating section and how it allows the doors to swing about enough to give clearance from each other when its broken aiding disassembly of each door in more or less any orderIMG_0549.JPG
  2. Here is a look at a non broken part of the section from one end. Note the lugs for how it clips into place in an aluminium 'C' section on the inside of the cupboardIMG_0557.PNG
  3. So take out the drawer (2 black spring loaded release handles under the drawer) then unclip the 2 shelves. That will give you room to work on the 4 fixings per door that are located in the slots in the brackets. This picture shows the doors off but you don't have this luxury just yet. Remember which brackets are for which door. You will likely see a piece of Black felt faced tape on the outer most door covering the fixings on the brackets. It can be carefully removed and replaced on reassembly and seems to stop the doors from marking if they contact each other.IMG_0553.JPG
  4. Here is what the fixing locatiions area on the inside of the doors looks likeIMG_0554.JPG
  5. Have a clean up and inset the new plastic guide. It snaps in snuggly into the aluminium channel that is on the inside of the cupboard.​
  6. Now its time to reassemble the doors and you need to put the inner door (forward closing door) in place first and rest it against its brackets. It can all get a bit fiddly here as you now need to put the outer door (rear closing) in place and install the fixings before you install the fixings on the inner door. inner door. I found it easier to move the inner door brackets to the sink end. IMG_0561.JPGBut the reason for all this is you can't (or at least I couldn't) expose the outer door bracket when the inner door was fixed (yes I did it the wrong way first). The problem stopping that is the metal stop fixed to the outer door above the catch. This had clearance when the broken plastic guide allowed the doors to swing.IMG_0560.JPG
  7. Now its worth just putting the fixings in the outer door nipped up lightly and making sure it slides OK. Be careful not to jam anything up with the inner door then tighten the fixings, reapply the felt tape and check again.​
  8. If all is good, move the inner door brackets into place and nip them up, check clearance for brackets of outer door and that it slides OK then tighten properly. This picture was taken showing clearance required when I tried fixing the inner door first so my mistake is your gain so you can visualise what you are trying to do here.IMG_0559.JPG
  9. Finally it's unlikely you have been able to disturb the catches so they don't work so you are good to go and reassemble the shelves and cupboard.​

Last edited:
The T6 Kitchen Door Guide Fix
OK I have replaced this.​

Here are a few pointers.

Pre-amble
  • I really don't think short cuts are worth it.​
  • You could probably take the passenger seat out instead of kitchen cupboard doors out but you'd have to be brave enough to bend the new Plastic Botton door guide a bit and risk breaking it but I doubt very much if thats easier than taking the cupboard doors off. Whats the right option? Yep the door removal.​
  • Even better (and probably necessary for when you want to put it all back together) you should take out the drawer and the shelves.​
  • There is an order to reassembly that may not be evident when you remove the broken door guide because if your doors are floating about you can disassemble in any order​
  • You only need one size Allen key but you figure it out because if you can't perhaps you shouldn't attempt this job. :Nailbiting
OK some steps

1. Here is the look of the plastic door guide with a broken locating section and how it allows the doors to swing about enough to give clearance from each other when its broken aiding disassembly of each door in more or less any orderView attachment 80527
  2. Here is a look at a non broken part of the section from one end. Note the lugs for how it clips into place in an aluminium 'C' section on the inside of the cupboardView attachment 80528
  3. So take out the drawer (2 black spring loaded release handles under the drawer) then unclip the 2 shelves. That will give you room to work on the 4 fixings per door that are located in the slots in the brackets. This picture shows the doors off but you don't have this luxury just yet. Remember which brackets are for which door. You will likely see a piece of Black felt faced tape on the outer most door covering the fixings on the brackets. It can be carefully removed and replaced on reassembly and seems to stop the doors from marking if they contact each other.View attachment 80529
  4. Here is what the fixing locatiions area on the inside of the doors looks likeView attachment 80530
  5. Have a clean up and inset the new plastic guide. It snaps in snuggly into the aluminium channel that is on the inside of the cupboard.​
  6. Now its time to reassemble the doors and you need to put the inner door (forward closing door) in place first and rest it against its brackets. It can all get a bit fiddly here as you now need to put the outer door (rear closing) in place and install the fixings before you install the fixings on the inner door. inner door. I found it easier to move the inner door brackets to the sink end. View attachment 80534But the reason for all this is you can't (or at least I couldn't) expose the outer door bracket when the inner door was fixed (yes I did it the wrong way first). The problem stopping that is the metal stop fixed to the outer door above the catch. This had clearance when the broken plastic guide allowed the doors to swing.View attachment 80532
  7. Now its worth just putting the fixings in the outer door nipped up lightly and making sure it slides OK. Be careful not to jam anything up with the inner door then tighten the fixings, reapply the felt tape and check again.​
  8. If all is good, move the inner door brackets into place and nip them up, check clearance for brackets of outer door and that it slides OK then tighten properly. This picture was taken showing clearance required when I tried fixing the inner door first so my mistake is your gain so you can visualise what you are trying to do here.View attachment 80535
  9. Finally it's unlikely you have been able to disturb the catches so they don't work so you are good to go and reassemble the shelves and cupboard.​
Do not do this just to replace the bottom guide rail unless you want to spend a lot of time messing about in the cupboard and aligning doors.

Obviously its a good guide for actually replacing the doors though - but not just for the rail.

Just slide out the old one to the rear
Slide in the new one towards the front
Click into place

Takes 2 mins.

Just did it!

Do not do this just to replace the bottom guide rail unless you want to spend a lot of time messing about in the cupboard and aligning doors.

Obviously its a good guide for actually replacing the doors though - but not just for the rail.

Just slide out the old one to the rear
Slide in the new one towards the front
Click into place

Takes 2 mins.

Just did it!
I don't know how you managed that.
I could not get the new strip in without real fear of damaging it and ending up with another snapped one so well done. I don't remember the details of why not but reluctantly I resorted to this.
Perhaps I overlooked an angle.

I don't know how you managed that.
I could not get the new strip in without real fear of damaging it and ending up with another snapped one so well done. I don't remember the details of why not but reluctantly I resorted to this.
Perhaps I overlooked an angle.
Hi

Does anyone know the part number for the strip, or where I can get one? Got the old one out, and pretty broken

Thanks

Hi

Does anyone know the part number for the strip, or where I can get one? Got the old one out, and pretty broken

Thanks

I got mine from lllparts but it's gone up in price.

Ridiculously expensive...

I did notice though it was made with a new type of plastic.

Much better than the previous type.

I got mine from lllparts but it's gone up in price.

Ridiculously expensive...

I did notice though it was made with a new type of plastic.

Much better than the previous type.
Thanks very much, was just about to update to say I'd found it at the same place. Good to hear it might be a better quality, as not cheap.......