Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen cosmetics

sapto

sapto

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I wanted to change the colour of my kitchen so I went for a film/vinyl and started with the kitchen table.
1d07ef5ff6b02ed10949ec2cb53571d3.jpg

And now I am working on the other parts. It is fun to do and all you need is a sharp knive (the ones you can cut rugs/carpets) and a pair of scissors.
1e590a45286124fba059becfffc92228.jpg
2399ab88345eedb3c2e6453e5d541359.jpg
ea895597e5b29d91c178e82056fd87f2.jpg

Not finished yet, I post more pictures soon!

I wanted to change the colour of my kitchen so I went for a film/vinyl and started with the kitchen table.

And now I am working on the other parts. It is fun to do and all you need is a sharp knive (the ones you can cut rugs/carpets) and a pair of scissors.

Looks great ! Where did you buy the vynl from as would love to do our table

Also like the change on your van

It looks fabulous and certainly updates the interior effectively to T6 Ocean standards.
Three questions do come to mind though:

1. How hard wearing will this covering film prove to be on the table top?
2. Will the covering film stay stuck down in hot conditions?
3. Would the removal of this covering cause any damage to the original surface should an owner wish to either return to factory finish or change the covering film?

I would be interested to see photographs of the finished interior and to hear how your covering fares in the long term . I think your idea has great potential and will be of great interest to members of the forum wishing to personalise or update their Cali's. Recently we have seen new coloured work top protectors so the posibilities are endless.

Good luck with the refurb.

Very brave to do this yourself!
I would not have the patience for this and end up trowing more film away then putting on.

It is giving a whole diffrent look , probally the less attrctive decors those on the early T5's .

I really like the idea and effect. I believe the original T5's has a smooth finish to the cupboards, T5.1 had a grained effect to the cupboards which would show through the vinyl.

Great post. Looks very nice!

… about convincing a friend to go for a Cali, but he do not like the "blonde" looks of the T5's interior, so as late as this this morning I just recommended him to do the foil thing. On of our other mates do foils on trains, busses, etc. So I guess he would be able to do it.

But a DIY is great!

Do you mount with soapy water like the worktop from Andrew? +Ajspicer, maybe its a future product from you to make a precut set …

My concern is also how the original reacts to the
adhesive and heat when you wish to remove the foil again. But I know you can get all kind of different types, so maybe its just a matter of getting the right type to be shure that it is removable. Must try to remember to ask …

Looks like you have done a good job.
Big but- if I was looking to buy a second hand Cali I would be very suspicious of what it was covering up and would therefore not buy it with that in place.

Thank you all for your commemts.

I am not finished yet (I tried the "behind-the-folden-table-part") and yes, I am also curious how it fares in a long term.

@Brindisi: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BOQH8Z4/

I think this is the one I used.

@Borris @Kmann:
1.) - 3.) I do not know yet. I found it easy to remove and there weren't any damage to the surface (as far as I can see). In fact I was inspired by @Ajspicer worktop products.

@snowy55: you are totally right! However it is my pride and precious (and the Cali is 3rd hand) and I hope I'd never have to trade it for something else.

@sapto is there wood structure in the foil, like the original or is it smooth?

Nicely done! Great post, I was just thinking about this myself last weekend. Got tired with this wooden style, thanks for the inspiration.

One questions to you and everyone else (perhaps I missed it) - how much of vinyl/film would you need to cover all kitchen?

Nicely done! Great post, I was just thinking about this myself last weekend. Got tired with this wooden style, thanks for the inspiration.

One questions to you and everyone else (perhaps I missed it) - how much of vinyl/film would you need to cover all kitchen?

Do it! I am not a skillful worker however you can not do something wrong.

I used (90cmx210cm) 1 "roll" for the table and the kitchen itself and now a 2nd one for the rear cupboard.

Now you need seat covers with the recent fabric....
Good job!

Back