Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Khyam Motordome Sleeper or Mr Magoo meets Mr Bean

J

JockMacMad

VIP Member
Well first night in he van decide to put the Kyham up. Now given we are having sporadic intense downpours we wait for a gap in the clouds. Sunshine right let's put up our 'Quick Erect' tent.

Now first point has my eyesight deteriated so much in the last month or are the black and white pictures in the instructions small and missing contrast?

Second a long range shot of someone putting a tent up is way less useful than something where I can actually make out what the guy is doing.

The long and short is the wife and I provided the Cabernet at the site with an episode of Mr Magoo helps Mr Bean erect a tent.

The tent spent the night under the van after we threw in the towel. :oops:

Sorry to hear you struggled. I only looked at the instructions long enough to see that there is a video. The video made it much easier for me.

There is a proper Khyam video on their website but I can't find it right now - I'll try and remember to put a proper link up later on when I've read the instructions again. In the meantime, there is one on youtube that may be useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEri2qlW9iM

Thanks for the link.

He did the way we did so I can at least take from that I am not as stupid as I thought I was.

The main issues we had were twofold. One it was a hard stand and although we had both grass and metal pegs I could not hammer the metal pegs into the ground far enough to have them hold as they are flat ended not spiked.

The second was lining the tent up with the van so first attempt was park van and move tent. Given the size of the Motordome Sleeper this was the wrong way round. Next time I will pitch tent and then move the van to the tent and have wife fit the Kador as I drive in. Mind after trying I may change my mind again lol.

I've got a set of the screw in type of pegs - they're really good on gravel hard standing.

We never had a problem lining up. We wound the awning out a bit to attach and then wound it back in, leaving it out buy about 3" in order to give clearance for the sliding door. This left a bit of a gap at the ends but I'm not too worried about that.

If I had more holiday, I would be up to Syke like a shot to come and help (and probably confuse the issue even more...! ;) )

Lol thanks

I will look for those pegs been out this morning but I can only find the ones I already have.

After watching the video the Motordome Classic looks easier to move. I have the sleeper which is a bit more unwieldy to move due to it's appendages :grin:

I did the same with the awning and the connecting up of that seemed easier than I anticipated but then I had read the posts on here about doing the connecting so had the shared wisdom on that bit of the task. It was the lining up in the first place as I was not sure given the opening where it should sit in relation to the van and the doors. I.e. towards the back so the sliding door is fully inside even when opened or further forward so the front door is inside in addition to the sliding door opening.

We put up our MD Classic on Friday for the first time. Your story sounds a little like mine and I got really quite annoyed with it. Fortunately I had downloaded the youtube video and saved it to my Macbook so I resorted to watching that which was when I realised I was trying to erect it upside down!! :laugh2 :doh