Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keys & Locks

I ordered my keys from Telecommann.

I sent him a photo & the code number.
He said the code was wrong & gave me the right one!
Looking more carefully on my key tag, I saw he was right about the code.
I think that is a good start!

Further discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4182

Received my 2 mini-format keys from Telecommann.

Sent to my daughter to avoid car keys & car address being together...

Very satisfied with that deal! :D

I order from Jim (Telecomman) and got great service. Ordered at the weekend and arrived on the Tuesday. Packaged superbly as well. :D

I'm glad you guys have had great service and got a got good deal from Jim ......it's always slightly worrying about recommending products and services to members just in case you got it wrong and members turn on you ... :lol: ....

i had a few good chats with Jim and i tried 2 of his products ,as i knew there was an issue with the plastic emergency keys and i was happy with all Jim's advice , honesty about the products the service he provide's and the end product he delivers .... :bananadance

Hi, having recently managed to lock myself out (long story....) I have now had an emergency/surf key cut. I am struggling to find somewhere on the outside to hide it - it obviously needs to be secure and out of sight but ideally it should be relatively easy to access so I can use it for surfing/kayaking.
Has anyone managed to come up with a good location?? I know this information is confidential so if anyone is able to help I can give them my details for a private email/text.
Thanks
Derrick

:?: how about around your neck

I had two basic normal keys cut without the transponders. I wear one around my neck when kitesurfing.

It was at an independent store in Northampton. I tried to get the same cut last week for my car at Timpson's. They refused to do it, apparently its company policy.

My VW logoed blank key came from E Bay, Local key cutter copied the blade of my original key, muttered about how hard the metal was to mill but did it, and the key works fine to open the driver door and get me into the van, (as it has no transponder it will not of course start the van), this emergency key lives in a small key safe hidden, but accessible, under the van.

Got my surf key at local Timpson, £10. took 5 mins.

Be interested to know about insurance.

When I go surfing I hide the real key inside the van then lock the van with the surf key. When I come back I unlock it and grab the real key to disable the alarm going off.

Wonder how well I'm covered by insurance should the worst happen?

I used to use a surf lock, but they just spell trouble, locking a key to a Cali in something that costs £25 just doesn't seem right, especially as it says "The key to this Cali is in here"

I mentioned this as part of another thread "Do's & Don'ts List" but it seems to need a thread of its own to avoid cluttering the other more general thread.

My 2 concerns are:
1. How to make sure we are never locked in or out of our Cali.
2. What to do with keys when swimming or other non-fancy-key-friendly activities.

ChrisandPenny52 pointed out that "if the van is locked with the sliding door open and you then shut the sliding door it will lock too. You could be either side of it in this situation."
If the key is left in the ignition & you exit through the side door, it can decide to self-lock?
So basically, never have everybody outside & all keys inside, or vice-versa?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2132&p=20581&hilit=locking+yourself+out#p20581
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1394&p=10849&hilit=locking+yourself+out#p10849

The so-called SAFELOCK prevents opening doors or windows from inside, so if you lock with the remote control from inside, you absolutely need the remote control (& all electrics working) to get out?
The central-locking button on the driver's door seems to prevent opening doors from inside, but in fact if you try twice, they do open?
So better to use that than the remote control when inside?

For swimming etc, we were thinking of getting simple blade keys cut & wearing them at all times, leaving the main keys hidden inside.
I am aware that could be a problem for insurance.
I know I can't use simple keys to start the engine.
But I am not at all sure simple blade keys will actually operate the door locks.
I have heard both yes & no, but am not sure either is based on direct experience or detailed Cali knowledge.
Expert opinion would be welcome, before I waste money trying!
Thanks for any clarification or further tips!

Blade key or ghost key only a problem for insurance if they know you've had one cut, lol.

Be interested to know about insurance.

When I go surfing I hide the real key inside the van then lock the van with the surf key. When I come back I unlock it and grab the real key to disable the alarm going off.

Wonder how well I'm covered by insurance should the worst happen?

I used to use a surf lock, but they just spell trouble, locking a key to a Cali in something that costs £25 just doesn't seem right, especially as it says "The key to this Cali is in here"
I got my surf key cut by sending a photo of my key to the cutters and it arrived in the post a few days later. Cost about £10 I think and works a treat. Then like others here, I hide the main keys in the van and scrabble to find them before the alarm goes off each time I come back to the van...

I think that those of you that take this chance should have a physical lock on the pedals or steering as well. It won't cost that much but if the claims assessor finds out that you are responsible for a total loss, you'll lose £50K. Is it worth that risk? There must be a better way of waterproofing these keys safely.

I use a non remote locking key from vw around my neck whilst surfing. Quite expensive as you also have to pay to have the key coded, but same price to have two keys coded, so have a spare. Was worried about water entering key and corroding electronics so sealed around edges with super glue. This means I don't have to leave a key in the van and jeapordise any insurance claim.
Not a cheap solution I know, but it's a £35000 van!

Re: Keys & Locks

These emergency keys are keys and not coded ... Some cars come with them from new as standard .. It's just a cut blank to open the drivers door then you use your normal coded key to start the bus up ...
Hi Choplee
Could you give me the direct contact details for Jim the Telecomman, PM if you like Thank you

Last edited:
I had three keys with my new van, the third key (without a transponder) I wear on a neck chain due to the dire warning from this forum. I also have a thatcham 5 tracker which requires me to carry a separate identifier when I use the key, but the darn thing does not have any means to attach it to a chain etc and I don't fancy drilling one and piercing something vital. So I have just bought an acqupac neck pouch to take the skinny key and dongle, and if doing something wet then the full fat key as well - plus money and cards.

Back