Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kenwood DMX9720XDS

I thought I would do a little post about fitting my new head unit which has replaced my Discovery Media Pro unit..

I decided to change the head unit as I wanted a larger screen and wireless Apple CarPlay. After looking at different options I decided on the Kenwood DMX9720XDS for the following reason:

10.1" HD Display with Capacitive Touch Screen
Floating Panel Mechanism
Wireless & Wired Apple CarPlay
Up to 4 camera inputs

All of the items were supplied by the fantastic guys at Absolut5 and I fitted it myself.
They supplied the dash adapters and looms to make it plug and play and retain steering controls and the dash USB socket.
Im also going to install the Kenwood DRV-N520 Dash Cam when it arrives as this unit links to the multimedia system so that recorded videos can be displayed on the large screen, and operated from the touch panel of the system.

Initial opinion is I’m really impressed with this uni. The wireless CarPlay is fantastic and the screen quality is amazing. Although the unit doesn’t come with built in navigation I use Tom Tom mobile anyway as all the data is live and up to date.

Here are a few images of the unit fitted.

View attachment 78505
View attachment 78506View attachment 78507View attachment 78508View attachment 78509View attachment 78510

How’s this going Marco?

Looking at swapping out my Discovery Navigation and considering a floating screen

Did you have a factory reversing camera? If so did you manage to retain it?

How’s this going Marco?

Looking at swapping out my Discovery Navigation and considering a floating screen

Did you have a factory reversing camera? If so did you manage to retain it?
Hi, Everything is great with the headunit. The integration loom retains everything with the exception of the two USB dash points as the unit only has one USB in. I solved this by getting a USB splitter which seemed to work. I connect apple car play through wireless so not a problem. You won't get navigation prompts on the display in between the speedo and rev counter either as your using your own sat nav.

Hi, Everything is great with the headunit. The integration loom retains everything with the exception of the two USB dash points as the unit only has one USB in. I solved this by getting a USB splitter which seemed to work. I connect apple car play through wireless so not a problem. You won't get navigation prompts on the display in between the speedo and rev counter either as your using your own sat nav.

Cheers Marco. Appreciate the reply

Does this work with the vw rear view camera/parking sensors/steering controls/MFD?

Yes it does. I have it. Works well.

I disabled the display of the climate control as it stays on the screen too long and is annoying.

The lead that makes all this works is super expensive, like £200

Nice unit though, faster than the Alpine and bigger screen. Not cheap though.

I disabled the display of the climate control as it stays on the screen too long and is annoying.

I'm torn between this and the Alpine Halo9.
Reviews of the Halo9 talk about v poor screen resolution and nonsensical menus, however, the Kenwood is more expensive and it's so big it blocks some of the air vents... First world problems.
Thoughts?

I'm torn between this and the Alpine Halo9.
Reviews of the Halo9 talk about v poor screen resolution and nonsensical menus, however, the Kenwood is more expensive and it's so big it blocks some of the air vents... First world problems.
Thoughts?

Arguably the Alpine suits the Cali better.

However I went to view both in person, the Alpine unit bizarrely looked small in real life, the UI was slow to respond for me, shame as I do prefer Alpine as a brand.

I tried the Kenwood and the UI is night and day faster. The screen looks brighter and more modern. Has a volume control and shortcut buttons which I use a lot.

The downside of the kenwood for me is there’s something ever so slightly, hmm, well not classy about it. The screen is really bright. Can’t put my finger on it.

An ideal solution for me would have been the Alpine unit with the Kenwood responsiveness!

Ultimately I went for the Kenwood and am happy with it. I did have CarPlay already in my Cali so whether it was worth the money is arguable. I use CarPlay 95% if the time and 5% radio.

If you don’t have navigation or Apple CarPlay / Android Auto then either of these units will be a massive upgrade.

Hope that helps.

The genuine Kenwood harness for a T5.1 and T6 is £150.00

Back