Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kenwood DMX 7017DABS

Cameron1960

Cameron1960

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi, has anyone fitted one of these?
I currently have the factory fitted non DAB radio. How east is it to install a DAB antenna? Is it obtrusive? Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

977D3C80-2B93-46E8-AAB5-11967C423F2E.jpeg

We can supply these as a plug and play solution

With the best looking facia, and the glass aerial is easy to install

Hi, thanks for the reply, the picture looks great. Logistically, I’m in Sunderland, where are you?

Hi

I fitted a pioneer unit from Absolut 5 a couple of years ago. Great thing is he gets it all prep’d for you so it plugs in no problem. I had a couple of queries which he answered by a quick phone call. Really recommend the guy and well worth supporting him in my opinion.

I would recommend buying a trim kit off amazon, as it makes removing any bits of trim much easier. I got this one...

Amazon Trim kit

It’s not too difficult, I thought I’d give it a go myself and happy I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, no I don't have a DAB antenna. What do they look like? Are they easy to fit? Also could you give me a price for the radio please (including any other bits and bobs I would need), thanks

@Absolute5: I'm interested in fitting an aftermarket stero too! (New T6 Coast on order (i was actually on the way to see you last year to fit something, but had a head-on collision in my T5 multivan and pretty much wrote it off.....)

Anyway, all information on possible aftermarket options would be great. Ideally i would like something fast, good looking, (with an OEM sort of look, so i think i would like a physical volume), that lets me use WAZE, spotify, my phone etc, that links to my steering wheel, works with the reversing sensors, and that connects with my android phone via a usb (c) or can take a second sim (does that exsist?)

Last edited:
@Absolute5: I'm interested in fitting an aftermarket stero too! (New T6 Coast on order (i was actually on the way to see you last year to fit something, but had a head-on collision in my T5 multivan and pretty much wrote it off.....)

Anyway, all information on possible aftermarket options would be great. Ideally i would like something fast, good looking, (with an OEM sort of look, so i think i would like a physical volume), that lets me use WAZE, spotify, my phone etc, that links to my steering wheel, works with the reversing sensors, and that connects with my android phone via a usb (c) or can take a second sim (does that exsist?)

It might be a idea to get the dealer to fit/upgrade you to app connect, then this would give you all the features you want

If it’s to late then drop us a pm or call

seems to be too late. They advised me against it too. Rather annoying. I'll see how much they charge to do it once the van arrives. (an arm and a leg presumably). I'll be in touch when I know more! Thanks for your help.

seems to be too late. They advised me against it too. Rather annoying. I'll see how much they charge to do it once the van arrives. (an arm and a leg presumably). I'll be in touch when I know more! Thanks for your help.

I cannot see why they advised against it as it seems to work well and not heard bad news regarding it

Always around for advise, and supply of audio etc

We had a Kenwood head united fitted by Absolut5.

Very pleased with it, fast boot up and sounds fantastic. We also upgraded the speakers at the same time.

Only downside is the graphics are a bit 1980's!!

I cannot see why they advised against it as it seems to work well and not heard bad news regarding it

Always around for advise, and supply of audio etc

In Belgium Android Auto is not yet in Google Playstore and CarNet cannot be used with Android phones if you don't have the app. Of course there is a way around to get the app through downloading the .apk version. However the VW info center at Kortenberg warned us against using the apk, since it may ruin the whole electronic system of the car, including the automatic gear, which can cost up to 7k to fix. They had 3 cases like that. This was one of the most useful information we have ever got from VW. CarNet is a very nice to have, and we chose to add it as an option, but be careful with Android Auto if you are living in Belgium. Changing the country of the Play Store can be a solution.

I guess this is why. Not sure if I can just get it on my phone by switching play store when in the uk? (or will that disable my Belgium-specific apps that I use all the time?)

Hi

Glad you like what done for you

Graphics are very subjective, if you think it looks 80s , look at the pasty Pioneers and the Alpines 70s look lol
Very true, I guess its the contrast between the clean CarPlay look and the busy Kenwood UI. Need to get the sub under the driver seat next!

Very true, I guess its the contrast between the clean CarPlay look and the busy Kenwood UI. Need to get the sub under the driver seat next!

Yeah I agree CarPlay makes everything else look untidy etc

I await your call for the extra thump...

actually i have found info on it over on the T6 forum. I see you fit them.

Big fan of the sound of Alpine, and power

Great look unit, good screen, integrates very well.. but the Os is looking dated, and can be a bit laggy

Absolut5 I see several manufactures have released wireless CarPlay head units over the last year. Do you know if any have made it to the UK that would be suitable for the T5.1?

Back