Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

just seen cali production line!

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
just back from a trip to hannover and got a special look INSIDE the Cali (and Beach) assembly plant
fascinating
8 built a day....all hand built basically to order
exclusive sneak pic inside if someoene can post up a few pics...

I have only one thing to say to you David. You lucky :censor :rofl :rofl
I would love to do that. Did you go in yours? Is this for your next magazine?

Lucky you. When I went to Hannover I had a tour of the van factory where they also make the body shells for the Porsche 4 door. But try as I might I could not get access to the Cali line which is on another site.

David Eccles said:
exclusive sneak pic inside if someone can post up a few pics...

Easily done.
Have you got a Flickr or Photobucket account or similar?

If not it's dead easy and free to register for one.
Then browse your pictures on your hard drive by clicking upload, & up load the ones you want to post on here.
Once uploaded each picture will be given it's own unique web address (on Photobucket its as simple as hovering over the picture and a box of various links will appear below which you simply click on direct link, which then copies the info/code)
When posting into a thread click the "Img" button just below the subject box, paste the copied info into the box that appears, click preview, and you should see the image you uploaded.

Sorry if you know this already, but if not hope it helps.

David has emailed me the photo's everyone, i will try and get them uploaded to this thread this evening.

and i'll add a bit of background text...the robot arm that installs / inserts the kitchen and wardrobe unit completely assembled is something else!
also saw a totally white interior special edition interior - a bit too much like a something used by men in white coats who carry you off when your gaga in for my liking!

Sorry for the delay on these, I wanted to add a Watermark to protect them.

Thank you very much David for letting us see these first !

Please respect David's pictures and do not copy

image_1.jpg image_2.jpg image_3.jpg image_4.jpg image_5.jpg image_1 (1).jpg image_2 (1).jpg

Stunning photographs. Thanks very much David.
Thanks Martin for uploadingand protecting them.

Now that is damn cool!

Looks nice and tidy there just like all German production lines!

Completely ready T5 units (ie specced up with everything fited but rear interior basically) are delivered from Hannover production line. The roof is cut out at factory and a temporary white rigid plastic roof fitted. Aluminium roofs are also delivered from the factory ready painted and pressed and sit on palettes arranged in colours. The base kitchen / wardrobe unit is made from double skinned aluminium faced aluminium and comes from a supplier as a carcass ready for fitting out. Other units such as the front frame for the roof and all its workings or the rear upper drawer with speakers already fitted come pre-assembled from main factory or external supplier.
All Calis and Beaches, LHD or RHD, are built to individual order, mainly for specific customer but also for dealerships as stock to sell. Each carries customer name or order number and seating config options (Beach) or special option info).
Basically its an assembly line / stages with 110 workers doing two shifts (+ 15 office staff).
Roof assembly involves lining, adding awning sides and scissor arms. Fitting of the assembled roof and the front frame part with hydraulic mechanisms (again already assembled in main T5 plant) is one of the last major jobs on the line.
Kitchen units are all hand assembled on the carcass (I did not know waste tank fitted to rear of this) then sent to interior assembly line ready for fitting. The interior refit line is a rolling process with about five units on at any one time and five key stages. Each stage here has its own jobs eg adding the interior cladding and wiring up stuff. The only mechanised bit is the stage where an amazing an robot arm that picks up the entire kitchen/wardrobe unit and inserts it through side door in position for workers to then bolt in.
Then assembled roof and frame fitted.
After come carpets and all the bits like tool kit first aid etc etc.
After quality control last job is connecting gas and have gas and electrics tested and the gold sticker put on tailgate!
Then road test....
Around 8 are completed each day.
and yes its spotless inside!!!!

Thank you very much David,
I must say, this is one of the most interesting articles I've read so far,
Concerning how these wonderful vehicles are made.
Since purchase Iv'e always wondered what type of premises these vehicles were assembled in, considering VW is such a mainstream, manufacture;
One of the largest in Europe,
And couldn't quite see how all the hand assembled California fitted in with this regime.
Now I know,
thank you. You lucky sod :grin:

I'll be running a feature about the factory tour in a forthcoming mag (June)with lots more info and pics ;)

Great pics and info, David. Is the production line open to the general public ? How did you get to do it ? We're going to N. Germany in the summer.

the cali factory only opens its doors occasionally to press or guests..we were lucky as there was a big press event we were invited to in Hannover along with several UK journos and we blagged it as an extra before we flew home next day....
as it was some of our visit had to co-incide with the half our break....
yes I feel privilged
however I recommend you visit the auto museum in Wolfsburg and do the car factory tour (its in a sort of motorised train and well cool and fascinating robot production lines sci fi stuff) and also I think the T5 Hannover factory SOMETIMES does tours..usually for clubs / groups by special request dunno about individuals - that is awesome and 90% of a Cali is built there)

There is a chance to see the California production line once every year. The last three years (20.11.2009 - 04.02. 2011 - 03.02.2012) we have been invited by VW to have a look with about 40 people in two shifts. If anybody wants a look too, join http://www.caliboard.de and wait for the announcement.
Here is some pics taken by a VW-official during our visit:

Fixing the pop up roof:http://www.caliboard.de/galerie/bilder/bild-617.jpg
Roof preparation: http://www.caliboard.de/galerie/bilder/bild-598.jpg

Pirat

nice pics :grin:
did you get to see the robot arm inserting the kitchen/wardrobe into the shell? thats an amazing bit of computer precision robotics....

Back