Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just ordered a new Hymer Evolution Blue 540

HowieDog

HowieDog

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
After 15 years of great Cali ownership its time to try something different. Hope to have it in the spring. Will be selling ur Cali when it arrives.

Hymer

Will look like this one....happy to document our experience on here when it arrives in case any one else is considering something a little bigger!

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 16.36.39.png

Various reasons but for the change, but very excited!

We were out tyre kicking a couple of weeks ago. Liking the look and feel of the Adria twin with its electric up and downy bed thing. Only downside is it’s Fiat based which I hate.
I noticed they’re all calling these size units “camper vans” now.
Tempted by a Crafter based conversion.
Like the colour of the Hymen.

On balance had preferred MAN/Sprinter/Crafter but like the extra volume with straighter sides. New engines a huge improvement in the Fiat so opted for the 180 with new 9 speed auto. Dash not up to VW/Merc build but digital dash and 10 inch satnav/media is very nice.

I think you're smart to hang on to the Cali until you get the new one delivered.
It looks good though and there's something to be said for a shower and a lounge area that you don't need to deconstruct for the bed.
Does it come in at under 3500 kg for the regular driver's license?

I think you're smart to hang on to the Cali until you get the new one delivered.
It looks good though and there's something to be said for a shower and a lounge area that you don't need to deconstruct for the bed.
Does it come in at under 3500 kg for the regular driver's license?
For us (2 adults, a 6 year old and a spaniel) its about reducing the faff factor. Beds ready made when we leave home (duvet and pillows can stay in the pop top when its down), easier to cook a meal standing up with others sitting at the table indoors, more space inside to chill if the weather not great, hot water, loo and shower.

Were ready to compromise on the 2m height but its only 40cm longer than a Cali so OK to park and still be able to acess out of the way spots.

We plan it as a long term keeper so have gone for a full spec including heated tanks, altitude kit and pre heater plus uprated 6kw diesel heating with 1.8kw electric on hookup plus lithium batteries and lots of other toys that hopefully wont cause too much trouble when they malfunction).

Payload 490kg on a 3500kg chassis.

For us (2 adults, a 6 year old and a spaniel) its about reducing the faff factor. Beds ready made when we leave home (duvet and pillows can stay in the pop top when its down), easier to cook a meal standing up with others sitting at the table indoors, more space inside to chill if the weather not great, hot water, loo and shower.

Were ready to compromise on the 2m height but its only 40cm longer than a Cali so OK to park and still be able to acess out of the way spots.

We plan it as a long term keeper so have gone for a full spec including heated tanks, altitude kit and pre heater plus uprated 6kw diesel heating with 1.8kw electric on hookup plus lithium batteries and lots of other toys that hopefully wont cause too much trouble when they malfunction).

Payload 490kg on a 3500kg chassis.

I'm currently doodling around with an Ayers Rock. The camping experience is superb, the most comfortable bed I have ever experienced in a camper, motorhome or caravan and it's fixed, all made up and ready to flop onto or into anytime.

The driving experience is nowhere near the Cali experience but I am literally just home from a 600 mile round trip that was totally hassle free. I've also got the 180/auto combination. I was off-road, a quite steep track and getting up it was certainly more exciting than in the Cali 4Motion with the front o/s wheel spinning like mad, but still got to the top.

My second trip out also reminded me that I have foregone the height advantage, evidenced by two dents at the top nearside courtesy of a low tree branch :confused:

I've got the Truma dual fuel Combo, diesel or electric heating and hot water, and with no pop top leaking warm air the van is very cosy at quite a low heat setting. The hot water also adds to the enhanced camping experience.

Shower/toilet is brilliant. I do not use the quite useless bathroom drop-down sink. I use the kitchen sink, the gangway to wash down in, the washroom and shower head to rinse off with. Loads of space that way.

You can see pics of Kevin on the Facebook hymercar owners page. If you can forego the height and the nimbleness of the cali then the free 540 is a good call.

I think there is deffo a case for keeping the Cali as well.
Cali’s are just not 4 season units. Obvs you can but for comfort you need a motor home during autumn/winter.
Come summer, all camping activities are external so the Cali suits.
Hoping I can get this plan green-lighted by the financial board?

That’s just what we call them.

I'm currently doodling around with an Ayers Rock. The camping experience is superb, the most comfortable bed I have ever experienced in a camper, motorhome or caravan and it's fixed, all made up and ready to flop onto or into anytime.

The driving experience is nowhere near the Cali experience but I am literally just home from a 600 mile round trip that was totally hassle free. I've also got the 180/auto combination. I was off-road, a quite steep track and getting up it was certainly more exciting than in the Cali 4Motion with the front o/s wheel spinning like mad, but still got to the top.

My second trip out also reminded me that I have foregone the height advantage, evidenced by two dents at the top nearside courtesy of a low tree branch :confused:

I've got the Truma dual fuel Combo, diesel or electric heating and hot water, and with no pop top leaking warm air the van is very cosy at quite a low heat setting. The hot water also adds to the enhanced camping experience.

Shower/toilet is brilliant. I do not use the quite useless bathroom drop-down sink. I use the kitchen sink, the gangway to wash down in, the washroom and shower head to rinse off with. Loads of space that way.

You can see pics of Kevin on the Facebook hymercar owners page. If you can forego the height and the nimbleness of the cali then the free 540 is a good call.
Thanks for your insights - yes the 2m issue is one to watch athough we're usually above that with the bikes on the back.

The bathroom is slighty different in the Evolution as it has a fixed basin.

Will check out the facebook page ;-)

Cali’s are just not 4 season units. Obvs you can but for comfort you need a motor home during autumn/winter.

I sold mine in a mad morning of ever increasing offers that I couldn't refuse that left me with enough loose change to pop a nice new Skoda Fabia on the drive. Once other members on the family "consortium" have made their minds up then a new Beach or coast will be on order. The Cali is just such a versatile vehicle it's almost a nop-brainer to have one in the fleet.

Well after various trips in August this year the weather was really miserable. The big door I think still gives you that inside/outside feel that you don’t get with a motor home.

Agree we will prob get a beach at some point when the prices are a bit more sensible, although our 2nd car is a mini which is such good fun.

Last edited:
After 15 years of great Cali ownership its time to try something different. Hope to have it in the spring. Will be selling ur Cali when it arrives.

Hymer

Will look like this one....happy to document our experience on here when it arrives in case any one else is considering something a little bigger!

View attachment 85651

Various reasons but for the change, but very excited!

That looks ace, lovely layout.

Do you mind me asking what it comes out at over the starting price once you’ve spec’d up any essential extras?

That looks ace, lovely layout.

Do you mind me asking what it comes out at over the starting price once you’ve spec’d up any essential extras?
Depends on whats essential to you I guess. Out of the box the Blue Evo is quite well equipped at 59k.

The Hyme configurator is pretty good. Even if you pick every conceivable extra you cant get to 80k.

Just looking at the internal images of the Hymer, the front bench seems very upright, more than the Cali, is it comfortable for long periods of sitting (working office setup ) And does it adjust with the tilt like some do ?

Just looking at the internal images of the Hymer, the front bench seems very upright, more than the Cali, is it comfortable for long periods of sitting (working office setup ) And does it adjust with the tilt like some do ?
They are OK, the Westfalia Columbus ones are better though. To be fair, I wont be sitting on them and we will have a car seat attched to the isofix anyway when were travelling.

I sit there more than I do in the captains chairs. Great if you are working and don't want to recline back, and great for eating. If it's anything else then it's captains chairs or the bed :)

I'm away for four days on Wednesday, walking the Thames path. The only sitting down I'm really going to be doing is eating or route planning. If I had to sit all day on that bench seat then it would be quite uncomfortable after a while. no means of reclining it, it's firmly against the toilet wall. I think the limitation is well worth it for having a toilet/shower room wall to be firmly against.

On balance had preferred MAN/Sprinter/Crafter but like the extra volume with straighter sides. New engines a huge improvement in the Fiat so opted for the 180 with new 9 speed auto. Dash not up to VW/Merc build but digital dash and 10 inch satnav/media is very nice.
Good luck with the van… Looked at a Hymer Grand Canyon S but was blown away and genuinely surprised by how much more spacious the Hymer Fiat based vans have over the Sprinters. Just can’t get over the Fiat badge, ever since a friend of mine said it stood for, ‘Fix It Again Tony’.

I do get that completely, had a Lotus for a few years Lots of trouble usually serious) but at least it’s new and in warranty. The internal space for just an extra 41cm is remarkable really and I agree relative to a sprinter or crafter the width of the upper part of the van is a. Lot more

Great spec for the money.

I do get that completely, had a Lotus for a few years Lots of trouble usually serious) but at least it’s new and in warranty. The internal space for just an extra 41cm is remarkable really and I agree relative to a sprinter or crafter the width of the upper part of the van is a. Lot more
Hopefully you won‘t need to use the warranty, Ducato engines are particularly strong and reliable these days. In fact Ducato engines have had a good reputation for several years and they have a very loyal following. My builder swears by them and when you step into one after a sprinter you do feel like you’ve just been upgraded!

I am impressed by the Ducato, It has just driven me home comfortably at every legal limit from Cirencester to East Preston.

The 9 speed box is gorgeous. Now, after 2,000 miles, the engine feels less like something driving a dustcart and more responsive and smooth.

We had a Hymer Sierra Nevada a few years ago and one of our gripes about it was the very upright travel seats, we prefer being able to tilt the Cali seat back as more comfortable for sitting for any length of time.

We had a Hymer Sierra Nevada a few years ago and one of our gripes about it was the very upright travel seats, we prefer being able to tilt the Cali seat back as more comfortable for sitting for any length of time.
I keep looking at the hymer van range and they do look good but the floor space is none existent for such a big van the shower toilet area is very cramped.The main benefit would be being able to stand up and the fixed bed but lots of negatives with the general flexibility day to day

There’s no ‘right’ floor plan, only what works for your own needs. The various Cali vans have worked for the last 15 years but not now.

For us the 540 length was important so there is a finite space inside albeit substantially more overall volume than the Cali.

Our current porta potti is in a very spacious toilet tent but it’s a bit miserable

Back