Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just ordered a new Hymer Evolution Blue 540

J

JamesTT

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I do get that completely, had a Lotus for a few years Lots of trouble usually serious) but at least it’s new and in warranty. The internal space for just an extra 41cm is remarkable really and I agree relative to a sprinter or crafter the width of the upper part of the van is a. Lot more
Hopefully you won‘t need to use the warranty, Ducato engines are particularly strong and reliable these days. In fact Ducato engines have had a good reputation for several years and they have a very loyal following. My builder swears by them and when you step into one after a sprinter you do feel like you’ve just been upgraded!

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I am impressed by the Ducato, It has just driven me home comfortably at every legal limit from Cirencester to East Preston.

The 9 speed box is gorgeous. Now, after 2,000 miles, the engine feels less like something driving a dustcart and more responsive and smooth.

D

Deb668v

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Just looking at the internal images of the Hymer, the front bench seems very upright, more than the Cali, is it comfortable for long periods of sitting (working office setup ) And does it adjust with the tilt like some do ?
We had a Hymer Sierra Nevada a few years ago and one of our gripes about it was the very upright travel seats, we prefer being able to tilt the Cali seat back as more comfortable for sitting for any length of time.

Defender90

Defender90

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
We had a Hymer Sierra Nevada a few years ago and one of our gripes about it was the very upright travel seats, we prefer being able to tilt the Cali seat back as more comfortable for sitting for any length of time.
I keep looking at the hymer van range and they do look good but the floor space is none existent for such a big van the shower toilet area is very cramped.The main benefit would be being able to stand up and the fixed bed but lots of negatives with the general flexibility day to day

HowieDog

HowieDog

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
There’s no ‘right’ floor plan, only what works for your own needs. The various Cali vans have worked for the last 15 years but not now.

For us the 540 length was important so there is a finite space inside albeit substantially more overall volume than the Cali.

Our current porta potti is in a very spacious toilet tent but it’s a bit miserable

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I keep looking at the hymer van range and they do look good but the floor space is none existent for such a big van the shower toilet area is very cramped.The main benefit would be being able to stand up and the fixed bed but lots of negatives with the general flexibility day to day

We all drive what suits us so one persons negative may well be another persons positive.

Curious about your lack of floor space comment. I can carry two bicycles in my hymer, could never do that in the cali without leaving the bed behind.

The only lack of flexibility, and it's a big one, is the height factor. The reason why I will always have a Cali in the drive except for this, temporary, hiatus. Otherwise I can park in any parking space not height restricted.

Defender90

Defender90

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
We all drive what suits us so one persons negative may well be another persons positive.

Curious about your lack of floor space comment. I can carry two bicycles in my hymer, could never do that in the cali without leaving the bed behind.

The only lack of flexibility, and it's a big one, is the height factor. The reason why I will always have a Cali in the drive except for this, temporary, hiatus. Otherwise I can park in any parking space not height restricted.
Definitely it’s what suits, i was talking about floor area for the dog it just seems like I would be still standing on her.The bigger van would be great in the winter months especially in Scotland

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Definitely it’s what suits, i was talking about floor area for the dog it just seems like I would be still standing on her.The bigger van would be great in the winter months especially in Scotland

There is a far bigger space in the front between the seats which is where my dog sleeps and he's not little. He also likes his "dog cave" which is under the bed. There is a huge space there, I have the flexible load divider with utilises the lashing rails and have it fixed halfway under the bed. That gives me a boot space bigger than I have in the Cali ocean and also on the other side Max's space :)

He is with me when I go away this weekend. I will see if I can get a pic of him in his den.

Defender90

Defender90

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
There is a far bigger space in the front between the seats which is where my dog sleeps and he's not little. He also likes his "dog cave" which is under the bed. There is a huge space there, I have the flexible load divider with utilises the lashing rails and have it fixed halfway under the bed. That gives me a boot space bigger than I have in the Cali ocean and also on the other side Max's space :)

He is with me when I go away this weekend. I will see if I can get a pic of him in his den.
Yes just thinking the area under the bed might be a good place for her to hide lol

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
The extra width of the 5.4 hymer can appear problematic.

It did when I went to a car park I've used before and found width-limiting posts placed, apparently to "prevent campers getting in and overnighting".

Was a bit of a squeeze but still manageable :D

Also had some off-road, off grid time although getting back up that track I really did miss the 4WD.

kevin - car park.jpg

F20DD801-FF28-4C65-80F4-3EA7DEDE1B87.jpeg

Last edited:
B

Billylou

Vehicle
Cali now sold
We also sold our Cali fir the same reasons mentioned on this thread and purchased a new 540 Ducato converted by Malibu Carthago a few months ago. We left the forecourt and 50 miles later it broke down. A long story short this led to us rejecting the van and getting our money back. Despite being disappointed with Fiat it hasn’t stopped us buying another 540 albeit a Westfalia which we hope to get next summer. Funnily enough, despite no longer being the van owner, I had a call from Fiat 10 weeks later letting me know the van had been repaired. Great to read positive comments posted by @GrannyJen and @HowieDog.

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We also sold our Cali fir the same reasons mentioned on this thread and purchased a new 540 Ducato converted by Malibu Carthago a few months ago. We left the forecourt and 50 miles later it broke down. A long story short this led to us rejecting the van and getting our money back. Despite being disappointed with Fiat it hasn’t stopped us buying another 540 albeit a Westfalia which we hope to get next summer. Funnily enough, despite no longer being the van owner, I had a call from Fiat 10 weeks later letting me know the van had been repaired. Great to read positive comments posted by @GrannyJen and @HowieDog.

The Ducato is a van pretending to be nothing other than a van, the Cali is a van that quite respectably pretends to be a limo.

However, yesterday I looked at the Grand California. It's 6m so not for me, but 180/Auto same as my Hymer. My hymer is pretty fully loaded, both base vehicle and conversion so I went on the configurator to get a like for like comparison. £25,000 price difference. For a van that cruises effortlessly wherever I want to take it I will stick to the Ducato.

I looked long and hard at the Westfalia, really almost a toss of the coin that or the Ayers Rock. I'm very impressed with Hymer quality but it was really a toss of the coin and main difference was delivery wait.

4x4 joker

4x4 joker

VW T6 Westfalia Club Joker 4motion
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
The Ducato is a van pretending to be nothing other than a van, the Cali is a van that quite respectably pretends to be a limo.

However, yesterday I looked at the Grand California. It's 6m so not for me, but 180/Auto same as my Hymer. My hymer is pretty fully loaded, both base vehicle and conversion so I went on the configurator to get a like for like comparison. £25,000 price difference. For a van that cruises effortlessly wherever I want to take it I will stick to the Ducato.

I looked long and hard at the Westfalia, really almost a toss of the coin that or the Ayers Rock. I'm very impressed with Hymer quality but it was really a toss of the coin and main difference was delivery wait.
Yep you would be still waiting for a westfalia, I’m over 16mths in for mine now :headbang

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The extra width of the 5.4 hymer can appear problematic.

It did when I went to a car park I've used before and found width-limiting posts placed, apparently to "prevent campers getting in and overnighting".

Was a bit of a squeeze but still manageable :D

Also had some off-road, off grid time although getting back up that track I really did miss the 4WD.

View attachment 85961

View attachment 85962
Front number plate but not rear?

Hannick

Hannick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We moved from seven years of Cali ownership in June 2020 to a 5.4m Hymercar Ayres Rock. No regrets. We can still park it in a standard parking space when out and about and it has a loo. Perfect. 11,000 miles travelled in the last 16 months. We still sleep in the pop top.

VW California Club