Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just ordered a Beach!

Nolan

Nolan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi there, I've been lurking on the forums for a while but I've finally ordered a Cali Beach :)

We're in Chichester and will be using it to explore the South Downs and further afield.

Not quite sure how I ended up with a beach, as they say, things escalated quickly! I started looking at Kombis, quickly moved on to Caravelles of which I looked at a slightly rough example at the Birmingham Van centre but while I was there I took a look around a new Cali and decided that the 7 seater Beach would be a good alternative to the Caravelle and much more flexible for camping with our two kids. I just missed a really nice used example in Exeter but the salesman there was very helpful and we ended up negotiating a decent new price on a Beach, which actually compares pretty well with the nearly new prices I'd been looking at. The only issue is that I have to wait for it now.

Not been given a date yet so we'll wait and see on that front :)

I think we went for a decent spec without going too mad, I can always change the wheels later so didn't spend money on those. I was very tempted by grape yellow but my wife liked the white. I'm very happy to be getting the comfort dash as well.

Beach 2.0 TDI 150PS EU6 StopStart BlueMotion DSG Low Roof
Solid - Candy White
Kutamo Fabric - Titanium Black-Moonrock Grey
2 Swivel Seats with Longitudinal Adjustment on Rail System in 2nd Row
App Connect
Awning - Silver Rail and Housing
Bed Extension with Comfort Sleeping Mat
Comfort Dashboard Package
Composition Media Radio with Touch Screen - 6.33in
Cruise Control - Adaptive including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking - Max Speed 99mph
Interior Light Concept for Camper Comfort in Passenger Compartment
Leather Multi-Function Steering Wheel and Gear Knob with Radio and Telephone Controls
Lights and Vision Package
Power Latching for Driver Side Sliding Door
Privacy Glass in Passenger - Load Compartment with Green Heat- insulating Glass in Cab
Reversing Camera with Front and Rear Parking Sensors
Seats - 3-Seater Bench Movable with Reclining Seat Mechanism and Multi-Flex Board with Padding x3 Drawers
Towbar - Preparation with Trailer Stabilisation
Wing Mirrors - Heated - Power Adjustable and Power Folding Wing Mirrors

Last edited:
hi nolan .... the extra opening window is a good extra imho ... really good for air flow on hot days . again only my opinion but i think the black awning looks better on a white van and cheaper !

Welcome! A lovely spec also, it'll look great!

You've added the "comfort mattress and lights" and the awning also, these are all very expensive to add afterwards, so you were 100% right to leave wheels etc to a later date, and prioritise these options.

I have a white Beach also, with Kutamo..... If ordering again today, it would be a very similar spec to yours indeed. I would add DSG, ACC and the reversing camera, options which I didn't select when I ordered mine. The comfort dash has grown on me also, and app connect. I better stop now, before I talk myself into an upgrade :Depressed

All the best with the wait process, mine was ordered September 2016 and delivered January 2017. Best decision ever!!

Last edited:
Hi there, I've been lurking on the forums for a while but I've finally ordered a Cali Beach :)

We're in Chichester and will be using it to explore the South Downs and further afield.

Not quite sure how I ended up with a beach, as they say, things escalated quickly! I started looking at Kombis, quickly moved on to Caravelles of which I looked at a slightly rough example at the Birmingham Van centre but while I was there I took a look around a new Cali and decided that the 7 seater Beach would be a good alternative to the Caravelle and much more flexible for camping with our two kids. I just missed a really nice used example in Exeter but got the salesman there was vey helpful and we ended up negotiating a decent new price on a Beach, which actually compares pretty well with the nearly new prices I'd been looking at. The only issue is that I have to wait for it now.

I think we wet for a decent spec without going too mad, I can always change the wheels later so didn't spend money on those. I was very tempted by grape yellow but my wife liked the white. I'm very happy to be getting the comfort dash as well.

Solid - Candy White
App Connect
Cruise Control - Adaptive including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking - Max Speed 99mph
Leather Multi-Function Steering Wheel and Gear Knob with Radio and Telephone Controls
Privacy Glass in Passenger - Load Compartment with Green Heat- insulating Glass in Cab
Seats - 3-Seater Bench Movable with Reclining Seat Mechanism and Multi-Flex Board with Padding x3 Drawers
Nice choice and spec, you will be over the moon when it’s gets here

Thanks :) I did deliberate for some hours about the awning but I think I prefer silver.
hi nolan .... the extra opening window is a good extra imho ... really good for air flow on hot days . again only my opinion but i think the black awning looks better on a white van and cheaper !

I'm sticking with the silver awning as I've already been back and forth on this one for more time than is healthy but you make a good point about the window and I've mailed the dealer asking if that can be added.

Although painful the waiting for it will allow me to plan some trips and figure out what else I need (bike rack will be one of the first purchases).

hi that great spec. I am looking for something similar. I have a t6 lwb shuttle at the moment. I was also looking at a caravelle as I wanted aircon in the back which I don't have on the shuttle. I agree the California is more versatile most of the time I will use to ferry the kids around but great holiday van as well. just trying to get it below the £800 mark on a pcp. I would like led lights as well because the h7 halogen are ok on full beam but not very good on dipped. had xenon lights on a t5 before and there were great.very expensive though which is why I didn't spec them on my current vehicle. I also fancy a grape yellow although you can't have it with led lights so might get a white one. Which dealer did you go to. my local one in north Wales will only give 5% discount

hi that great spec. I am looking for something similar. I have a t6 lwb shuttle at the moment. I was also looking at a caravelle as I wanted aircon in the back which I don't have on the shuttle. I agree the California is more versatile most of the time I will use to ferry the kids around but great holiday van as well. just trying to get it below the £800 mark on a pcp. I would like led lights as well because the h7 halogen are ok on full beam but not very good on dipped. had xenon lights on a t5 before and there were great.very expensive though which is why I didn't spec them on my current vehicle. I also fancy a grape yellow although you can't have it with led lights so might get a white one. Which dealer did you go to. my local one in north Wales will only give 5% discount

I used Autoebid to generate the spec I wanted and get me a price, I think the discount is around 7% without checking.

I then spoke to Anthony at Carrs Van Centre in Exeter and he offered to quote on a new vehicle after missed a decent spec secondhand Beach I saw via Das Welt search. I was upfront about the Autoebid quote and went direct through him bypassing Autoebid and their fee. Their site is useful for generating lots of different specifications and seeing the real cost with discount.

hi thanks for that I have see autoebid I will try them I had to do that before when order the shuttle get loads of quote and play one off against the other. at the end of the day a sale is sale. the local dealer did offer 7% off a showroom one but it had £2160 (sportline wheels, spoiler, side bars and bumper kit)of dealer accessories which you had to pay in full for. brought the total cost of vehicle to £57200. which may not be bad for all the extras incl led lights and parking heater. I still have to fit a towbar to it as well

I had look at the white edition but it has moon rock interior and only 5 seats. good price but why put grey interior on a white van. just looks wrong plus will show the dirt with the kids.

Hi Nolan,

Congratulations. I think you've made a really good choice...but then I would say that as I ordered almost exactly the same van, from Carr's, and dealt with Anthony. One of the good dealers BTW.

Was the one you missed out on with them? I ask because I had a replacement van delivered a couple of weeks ago (one bit of spec missing). Not surprised if they've shifted it already.

Anyhow, great spec although I'd second the advice to add the extra sliding window.

I waited about 3 months (for both vans) fingers crossed it doesn't take too long. Just don't go crazy on buying stuff for it until it arrives and you get a chance to use it.

Steve

Yes it was a white one at Carrs, pretty similar spec to the one I am ordering. It's gone from the Das Welt search now but I have some details that were mailed to me when I enquired online although it doesn't list the spec.

£43995 Volkswagen California Beach 2.0TDI 150PS EU6 BMT DSG
Finished in White with Cloth interior
Date of Registration September 2017
Registration WJ67JUT
Miles 3200 miles
Transmission Automatic
Fuel Type Diesel

Yep that was my old van. That was a good price for the spec. Not surprised it went quickly.

I agree with you though, the difference to a new one isn't huge and you got to spec it exactly as you want it :)

Not quite sure how I ended up with a beach, as they say, things escalated quickly! I started looking at Kombis, quickly moved on to Caravelles of which I looked at a slightly rough example at the Birmingham Van centre but while I was there I took a look around a new Cali and decided that the 7 seater Beach would be a good alternative to the Caravelle and much more flexible for camping with our two kids.

I think we went for a decent spec without going too mad, I can always change the wheels later so didn't spend money on those. I was very tempted by grape yellow but my wife liked the white. I'm very happy to be getting the comfort dash as well.

Hi Nolan
You went through exactly the same process as we did - looking at kombis then Caravelles then we thought we might as well go for the 7 seat beach. Have to say we are so pleased we did and have already used it loads more for overnight camping than as a day van which the Caravelle would have been.

Thoughts on extras:
I would definitely spec parking heater. You might not think you'll use it but you will if you want to camp in anything other than summer.
The standard h4 headlights are awful. Get leds if you can or the light upgrade to h7 minimum.
Second sliding window definitely good to have.
Climate control in rear is important because its a big inside space and cooling in the front won't help people in the back much. This might be part of your comfort dash package though.
Extra lighting for camping comfort (or whatever its called) is a very useful upgrade.

And finally, save some money for when it arrives as I found I needed to buy a slide out drawer for the boot, and storage bags for the rear windows etc etc.

Good luck. It's a fantastic vehicle!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not quite sure how I ended up with a beach, as they say, things escalated quickly! I started looking at Kombis, quickly moved on to Caravelles of which I looked at a slightly rough example at the Birmingham Van centre but while I was there I took a look around a new Cali and decided that the 7 seater Beach would be a good alternative to the Caravelle and much more flexible for camping with our two kids. I just missed a really nice used example in Exeter but the salesman there was very helpful and we ended up negotiating a decent new price on a Beach, which actually compares pretty well with the nearly new prices I'd been looking at. The only issue is that I have to wait for it now.

Solid - Candy White
App Connect

When I ordered my Beach I also went for the privacy but I’m afraid it’s not very private. In the end I had to get it tinted afterwards.

IMG_2030.JPG IMG_2030.JPG IMG_2030.JPG

Are you sure no grape yellow plus leds? Stunning Edition !

Solid - Candy White
App Connect
Hello Nolan,
Welcome.
Great story and very similar to our research. We ended up with a seven seater Beach as well. Brilliant vehicle.

Your colour and spec sound perfect. I hope it comes soon.

Happy adventures.

Thanks for the continuing advice, I did consider the parking heater but that is where the budget ran out. It will mainly be summer camping though and we're used to tents so have decent outdoor gear and sleeping bags etc. Can one be added later if it turns out to be an issue?

My main concern is delivery dates having seen some of the other threads on here. I really want to get it this side of Christmas!

Welcome Nolan! :welcome

Looks like you gone for sensible options on the whole. I would have specced the black awning, as someone else mentioned, with the white, but that’s personal preference. Also, there is not much difference in price between tow bar prep and having the tow bar included as well, so worth thinking about that.

Anyway, good luck and hope you don’t have to wait too long :thumb

On the awning.......

I didn't spec an awning, with my factory order. Big mistake, as the awning adds to the overall look of the California.

I ended up buying a silver one second-hand, I'd prefer a black one tho. I'm now considering wrapping or painting mine black, but it might be easier just to buy a black one and sell mine on.

Here are some photos anyway..... Might help you decide..... More photos on my insta page also:

https://www.instagram.com/velo_vagabond_/

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 22.26.06.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 22.26.20.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 22.26.39.png

I also changed my wheels recently from anthracite to black cascavals

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 22.31.34.png

You have a lot of nice options on your list. However, if it were my Beach, I would get rid of one or two of them in order to have the parking heater with remote. I cannot stress how good that option is on a campervan. When it's freezing outside just reach for the remote and activate the heater. By the time you've finished your breaky and left the house it'll be toasty warm and defrosted. Everyone else in the street will be scraping their windscreens and going out in thick clothes to keep warm whilst you will be driving off in luxury. Believe me it's the number one option to have and turns your van into a proper 365 day a year camper. The side door will still close without power latching and the rear camera is a nice to have option but not essential as the park assist system with front and rear sensors does the job perfectly well. Also the comfort dash is very nice but not as practical as the uncomfortable one. That has a lot more storage space than the flash dash. You could save some cash by going for the standard dash and speccing the other items included in the comfort dash option separately.
What ever you decide good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the continuing advice, I did consider the parking heater but that is where the budget ran out. It will mainly be summer camping though and we're used to tents so have decent outdoor gear and sleeping bags etc. Can one be added later if it turns out to be an issue?

My main concern is delivery dates having seen some of the other threads on here. I really want to get it this side of Christmas![/QUOTE
I was using the Cali heater last week, Friday and Saturday mornings were 2C. and very damp. I too use a decent sleeping bag when on my own, but at some point you have to get out of it. The heater is also great for clearing frost, condensation, and for drying damp clothing. Of course, they can be fitted aftermarket, but I feel a factory fit is the easier, better option. Also, many people looking for a second hand camper wouldn't consider one without a parking heater.

I would certainly get the parking heater - British summers are not that predictable or warm. Most people here will agree that the heater is a priority item.

Hope you have it soon and I am sure the Cali will give you enormous pleasure like the rest of us.