Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just joined

I

Ingvar B Aure

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi, I'm currently working on my parents cali.

My parents cali is a 2006 2,5 174hp, vw grey on the outside, and some beige interior.

The plan is to do a 4motion conv. Iknow it's easier just to sell and buy with. But here in Norway you can't find these cars. Mabye once a year a 4motion pops up, and is sold on the day.

For now allmost all the mechanical build is done. I will search a bit and post updates to existing thread, to not make much mess.

We bought a parts car for this project.

Hi and welcome to the Cali family.
Certainly a different first post. I don't know how many early Cali's you will find as 4Motions in the UK, not many l guess.
Good luck with your project.

Hi, I'm currently working on my parents cali.

My parents cali is a 2006 2,5 174hp, vw grey on the outside, and some beige interior.

The plan is to do a 4motion conv. Iknow it's easier just to sell and buy with. But here in Norway you can't find these cars. Mabye once a year a 4motion pops up, and is sold on the day.

For now allmost all the mechanical build is done. I will search a bit and post updates to existing thread, to not make much mess.

We bought a parts car for this project.
Welcome on board @Ingvar B Aure !

Now, that is what I call a project! Interesting that all mechanical work has been completed. I suspect that will include the rear differential and related parts and then of course, getting all that into place.

Is electrical your next set of activities?

:welcomeThat’s a great upgrade to take on
you’ll be a mind of useful information to some, I bet there is not that many who have done that upgrade :thumb

looking forward to some posts :cheers

Welcome on board @Ingvar B Aure !

Now, that is what I call a project! Interesting that all mechanical work has been completed. I suspect that will include the rear differential and related parts and then of course, getting all that into place.

Is electrical your next set of activities?
Hi,

I have been sick the last week, so there have been no work since last post.

Allmost all mechanical is done, getting the nuts w/strengthplates welded in to the back frame tomorrow for the rear diff.

Everything else was bolt on. Had to swap over some motor mounts etc, so having a donor car is key.

Electrical will be the next hard part. I still haven't checked if current abs module is capable of the transition. But if it is, I need new cables all the way from diff to module.

During this project, I took the time to change some typical stuff.
Changed:
-Ac and dynamo wheel and "rubber"
-Glowplugs
-rusty bolt for the front shock
-top bearing on the shock/spring
-break disc's and pads front
-ofc all oils(motor,gearbox,transfer and rear diff)
-inner swaybar bearings front
-bearing for propshaft

It was suppose to be only the convertion, so it became a bit more time consuming then planned.

Mechanical wise, the only things that needed adjustments was:

-Handbrake wire, different length both front and back. And the brackets under is different and located elsewhere.

-rear motormount and following bracket was different.

-dpf

-Exhaust pipe between dpf and middle muffler.

-threads missing for rear differential(I chose to insert nuts in the frame like original).

-And ofc right front driveshaft is different.

I'm sorry that not all the words and parts is written correctly, since I don't know the names of it all in English

I'll try to post some pictures soon

I’ll be watching this thread, just because of the utmost respect for you to take on such a challenging project of converting into 4M!

Hello, and sorry for not updating the post.

After the mechanical convertion was finished, the car was driven until now before anything more was done.

We connected the cables according to original 4m T5 diagram(where we concluded that B106 was the haldex), and it's working perfectly.received_638250168050865.jpeg

20220402_191944.jpg

20220402_194255.jpg

20220402_201331.jpg

20220411_161443.jpg

20220411_161451.jpg

20220413_215219.jpg

20220413_215234.jpg

20220414_141317.jpg

20220414_150155.jpg

Awesome. Thank you for the update.

Did you have to do anything to the BCM such as a version update etc?

But having got it working - hats off and take a bow! that is what you call a respectable project. :thumb

You,ve probably done it but if not by looking at You Tube it will be much easier to do whilst still out.

I haven't plucked up courage to do mine as yet.
Im not quiet sure what you are leading to here, but haldex filter and oil was changed(there is also a "sump" looking filter, that i just cleand)(the haldex oil where white ish in colour).

Awesome. Thank you for the update.

Did you have to do anything to the BCM such as a version update etc?

But having got it working - hats off and take a bow! that is what you call a respectable project. :thumb
No sw changes at all, it all just worked