Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just Arrived

Paul98

Paul98

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi All,
just took order of my first California Ocean 2.0 TDi 204PS EU6 4MTN DSG, so it said on the box :), ps i got it from Marshall Volswagen in South Oxford, they said they would send it up on transporter with me paying the delivery, they had the cheek to drive it up putting an extra 500 miles on the clock, the guy must of slept in it and ran all the aux batteries dead and no fuel after they had promised me a full tank also there was no gas valve tap which was imperative for our first trip, I had to purchase one from here as I was not confident they would send one up on time as the salesman was now on holiday and his boss was not available. not a good start !

Last edited:
I think there was a thread on here a few weeks ago of collect or deliver. Sad to hear the way your ownership started, hopefully it will get better now its in your hands.
I would complain to the full, it might not have an effect but unless you do you will never know.
P.s welcome.

So in fact you payed for a new Cali and they gave you a used one with 500miles on it .
On top they abused the lesure bats. wich could now have permanent damage ....
Hope you did not payed the full amount .

No it was 1 year old. but to pay for the transporter for them to drive it up to Scotland and run the batteries dead, I'll be having it out with them when the sales man returns from his holidays ;)

Ok , not a new order , still a very unpleasant way to do the handover....hope they will give you some sort of goodwill in return .
For now at least charge your batteries 24h on 220v hook-up !

Obviously get it plugged into the mains to give the batteries the best chance at recovery without permanent damage.

Hi All,
just took order of my first California Ocean 2.0 TDi 204PS EU6 4MTN DSG, so it said on the box :), ps i got it from Marshall Volswagen in South Oxford, they said they would send it up on transporter with me paying the delivery, they had the cheek to drive it up putting an extra 500 miles on the clock, the guy must of slept in it and ran all the aux batteries dead and no fuel after they had promised me a full tank also there was no gas valve tap which was imperative for our first trip, I had to purchase one from here as I was not confident they would send one up on time as the salesman was now on holiday and his boss was not available. not a good start !
How do you remain so relaxed? I'd be jumpin'!! Hope you sort out the batteries.

Personally I’d be on to the sales manager right away! Don’t let time elapse without complaining. Welcome! We too had delivery issues with our nearly new van. Seems a common theme. Hope you get it sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go higher than the sales manager and do this immediately if you have time. Depending on what compensation you seek its most likely your original sales person will have to escalate internally regardless.

I was in a similar position a few weeks ago and with the advice on here made the decision to collect but I know that’s not always an option.

Welcome and I hope you have lots of enjoyment from your Cali!

God only knows how you flatten 2 leisure batteries whilst driving 500 miles. I’d have no idea how to do so even if I tried!
Anyway, welcome and I hope this muppetry doesn’t spoil your trip and enjoyment of the Cali.

I think the batteries must not of been charged correctly prior to delivery, God knows, typical salesman God help him when hes back !

I think the batteries must not of been charged correctly prior to delivery, God knows, typical salesman God help him when hes back !
I fear it's worse than that. It is important to condition batteries via the mains, but a 500 mile journey followed by 'flat' indicates a proper problem with the van, even if the driver had kipped in it overnight with the heater on full (which I doubt he knew even existed).
There's a few hints here that you are wrong to wait for the return of the travelling salesman. I agree, but will leave it there.

Agree with the above , or the previous owner threaded the batterys that bad they are worn allready or there's a fuse gone and current running on just one battery

how do yuo know if its only running on one battery and not charging ?

Hi Paul.
What a dreadful story.
So they promised you delivery by transporter and to give you a full tank of fuel. In addition you say the driver slept in your new vehicle and it's now got another 500 miles on the clock. The van also came with incomplete kit and flat leisure batteries.

Frankly, that's not bad service, it's utterly appalling service with abuse of the dealer/customer relationship thrown in for good measure. I would be incandescent!

Never mind speaking to the salesman. It was his/her job to ensure the vehicle was delivered in the manner that was agreed and with the promised full tank of fuel. It was also his/her job to ensure the vehicle was fully checked and prepped prior to being sent whether that responsibility was devolved or not. This sales person has failed on all of these counts. As has been said previously, I wouldn't bother waiting for he/she to return from holiday. If it were my van, I would go straight to the dealer principle and make him/her aware that his/her sales person has failed you, his/her dealership has failed you and if he doesn't put the situation right immediately, he/she will have failed you as well.

Once you've got him/her on their back foot, I would demand two new fully charged leisure batteries - fitted, the missing equipment, the full tank of fuel you were promised and a full valet. Apart from the batteries which may have been damaged by being run completely flat, so far this merely rights their shoddy service and put you in the position you should have found yourself in upon deliver. Then if it were me, I would suggest that they give you a further generous gesture of good will to compensate you for this dismal experience. Getting a new California should be an exhilarating event and they ruined that for you. So think big. If go for something in the accessories catalogue make it reflect the enormity of your disappointment. Possibly an extra years extended warranty?

Go in with both guns blazing and good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Borris,
it is a year old camper, their ex demo. Ive spoken with the salesman's boss's boss this morning as both the sales man and his boss are off on holiday, I've sent an email listing and detailing their failings, he has said until he gets all the information together when the sales man is back from his holiday he will then come straingt back to me, which I understand. Luckily I kept and forwarded the video they sent me of the vehicle prior to delivery with their salesman saying "imaculate, not a mark on it, good to go" but when it arrived there was a few scratches which were recored by the delivery driver which ive sent to them along with all the other disapointments.

hoepfully they will come good and offer me some kind of goodwill as you say, if they werent 500 miles away I wouldve been straight into them !

to be continued

Last edited:
Hi Borris,
it is a year old camper, their ex demo. Ive spoken with the salesman's boss's boss this morning as both the sales man and his boss are off on holiday, I've sent an email listing and detailing their failings, he has said until he gets all the information together when the sales man is back from his holiday he will then come straingt back to me, which I understand. Luckily I kept and forwarded the video they sent me of the vehicle prior to delivery with their salesman saying "imaculate, not a mark on it, good to go" but when it arrived there was a few scratches which were recored by the delivery driver which ive sent to them along with all the other disapointments.

hoepfully they will come good and offer me some kind of goodwill as you say, if they werent 500 miles away I wouldve been straight into them !

to be continued

cheers

Paul
Well if you don't get total satisfaction contact the company MD.

If it was their demonstrator, I'm wondering if they haven't bothered to charge the leisure batteries regularly, if at all. In which case new batteries are the answer.

As for the scratches well that just adds to this already woeful experience. Given that these need to be attended to properly why not demand they come and pick it up, attend to all of the issues properly, returning it to you in a covered transporter at their expense, in the condition it should have been in the first place.

Was it a Daz welt auto ? Check the details of the policy !

If so threaten to back it to them under the 30 day guarantee / exchange ( bet they can’t find a replacement) if they do they’ll try to hit you with extra cost.

They have “miss sold a vehicle” which is against the law. It has been “ mis- described” and therefore you most definitely have the upper hand.

Look carefully at the miss selling of vehicles act, plenty online.
It is the “sellers responsibility to describe the vehicle accurately”

If you plan to keep the vehicle,
Insist it goes into an approved vw body shop local to you for the repair to the damage that they failed to disclose to you.

Did you visit the dealer or is this distance selling , if you did not visit the dealer ever, your case is water tight. But you must act quickly as delays will work against you.

Print out / download / screen shot the advert if you haven’t already.
Keep all correspondence

Put In Writing everything and let them know you also have a video, ad, bill for transport etc,
include the resolution YOU require, clearly state what you require to make this problem disappear
or state you want your money back in full and they collect the van.

They have applied a further 500 miles to your vehicle,
A.) you want your delivery money returned in full
B) you want compensation for the additional 500 miles ( which do not match the sales ad) and you specifically paid them to deliver on s vehicle to avoid the additional mileage thefore it’s mis- selling. I would suggest recompense at their contract mileage rate overage ! Applied to poor customers on contract hire ( find it online)
C) insist on two new lesuire batteries fitted by an approved vw supplier local to you
D) insit on a oil service.
E) cheque / bank transfer for 80 litre of fuel + £10 for ad blue contribution

Be prepared for the full fob off, and corporate BS from on high.
stand your ground firmly, attract there attention to th”Law” regarding mis selling
reiterate your points in emails, over and over, stating mis- selling (not over the phone) escalate it to the highest possible and let them know your not going away.
Persistence will pay off, they have a problem with the mis-selling issue, play it hard and to YOUR advantage.
DYOR

Are they a member of an ombudsman? They will not like a threat of that

Time is of the essence you only have a limited time to register your complaint in writing.

The sales guy may not be on holiday, he may be hiding until the prescribed time limit has passed

Thanks Pefectos,
I dropped them an email today to the salesmans, boss's Boss stating all of your advice youve said, he has replied and will comeback to me tomorrow.

interesting to see what comes out of this, ill let you all know

thanks for your help

Paul

Perfectos and All,
thanks for the advice which worked a treat, received a phone call back form the boss and the boss's Boss who have told me to get the batteries checked at a garage but said not a problem as they are still under warranty, if dud they'll replace them. They are going to repay me all the delivery charge + £100 for the fuel and to go to garage and get any small scratches fixed. Getting him to confirm it in email to me.

More than happy with the outcome, it is good to complain :thumb ;)

Thanks Again, really appreciated

Paul

Perfectos and All,
thanks for the advice which worked a treat, received a phone call back form the boss and the boss's Boss who have told me to get the batteries checked at a garage but said not a problem as they are still under warranty, if dud they'll replace them. They are going to repay me all the delivery charge + £100 for the fuel and to go to garage and get any small scratches fixed. Getting him to confirm it in email to me.

More than happy with the outcome, it is good to complain :thumb ;)

Thanks Again, really appreciated

Paul

You did not complain, you gave feedback which resulted in a positive outcome. This in turn will go some way to restore their credibility. Could have been different but they seem to have chosen the sensible route, now enjoy the bus.