Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Jumping screen

M

malc

VIP Member
Whenever I change anything on the site ie forum subjects my screen jumps around for a couple of seconds and then settles down. Anybody else have this .... I use an ipad mini.

Hi

Yeah I get the same when using my iPad. How many times you click on the person who wrote the post instead of the actual post ???? :doh

Steve

Hi Malc

It is due to the way the images are loaded for the adverts down the right side and across the top. This happens for me on my iPad too.

I have switched to using tapatalk hd to combat this as I kept clicking the wrong things as I'd click before the page had fully loaded then it would finish, stuff would move and my click event would trigger something different :)

Dibz is correct on this and we are aware of the problem, it does however only happen on the iPad for some strange reason.

The best way around this until we can find a fix is to use Tapatalk ( To be honest the forum works much better using Tapatalk when using a tablet anyway)

Martin said:
... it does however only happen on the iPad for some strange reason.
It also happens on my bog-standard Dell PC.

Martin said:
Dibz is correct on this and we are aware of the problem, it does however only happen on the iPad for some strange reason.

The best way around this until we can find a fix is to use Tapatalk ( To be honest the forum works much better using Tapatalk when using a tablet anyway)

Yep, totally agree, download Tapatalk app from the AppStore, it's a much better way to access these forums.

Thank you all!, I will sort this later.... Anybody got the lotto nos for the weekend? Just thought I would ask

NickE said:
Martin said:

Hi, Nick

Which browser are you using on your PC?
I can't reproduce the problem on IE9 or Firefox - but do see it on the iPad.
Though that's assuming we're all talking about the same problem :crazy

Here's what I see on the iPad: when the page first loads it isn't full width (there's a white border down the whole right hand side) but when it finishes loading the page "pops" to fill the whole width of the browser window.

Or are you (or anyone else) seeing something different?

If so, could you describe what you're seeing and which browser/version you're using?
That'd really help us try to diagnose this, as it's proving difficult for us to find the cause (particularly on the iPad, as I can't install web developer tools in its browser in the same way I'm used to doing on Firefox :doh ).

If we have any CSS experts on the forum, could you make yourselves known? :hello

Best wishes,
Steve

By the way, if you've been using the original Tapatalk v1 app, I'd recommend upgrading to the new versions ("Tapatalk HD" for tablets, "Tapatalk 2" for phones). They seem to have ironed the bugs out, and they feel much more modern. We're trying to keep the forum updated to match the latest version of the client app.

And if you haven't, I'd recommend paying for the new version rather than buying the original cross-device app.

I know that's ÂŁ3 per app (but that's not even the cost of a pint down here :lol: ) - but it really makes browsing the forum a lot easier/more fun, and will save you time.

(Though we're obviously going to do our very best to fix the website :thumb )

shambly said:
I think a viewport meta tag on the template would help matters, to tell iOS the scale to draw the page at; It gets surprised by the page getting bigger as the adverts load and has to rescale.

Cheers, Simon - will have a look tonight.
Much appreciated... :thumb

Steve

Like you say Steve, it is difficult to trace without dev tools.

For me it still happens even with the ad images loaded, but seems to trigger before/during the Facebook like image/widget is loading. Might be worth walking through the load order and see what else happens at that point (I get the feeling it might be something further down the page that I can't see loading).

Setting the view scale in a meta tag causes interesting issues when switching from landscape to portrait and back again I think but could be worth a try.

coordinated said:
NickE said:
Martin said:

Hi, Nick

Which browser are you using on your PC?....could you describe what you're seeing ...

Hi Martin,

Firefox, latest version (currently 19.0.2) on XP. Symptons: page loads then 2 seconds later "jumps" down a line or two. Happens every time on this site, doesn't happen on any other site, problem started - phew...I've forgotten...I just got used to it!

PS. As an ex Assembler programmer, I'll let you worry about this!

NickE said:
Firefox, latest version (currently 19.0.2) on XP. Symptons: page loads then 2 seconds later "jumps" down a line or two. Happens every time on this site, doesn't happen on any other site, problem started - phew...I've forgotten...I just got used to it!

Thanks, Nick

Sound like a different but possibly related problem.

Will try and look into this soon ... though that may now be after we get back from a fortnight in our Cali in Ireland :)

Best wishes,
Steve

PS you're bringing back fond memories of my Z80 programming days :thumb

I predate the Z80 by couple of iceages. Bring back the cardpunch!

I get the same using Firefox 19.0.2 on Ubuntu linux. Also happens with Google Chrome 26.0.1410.43

I believe it happens when the Google translate thing loads. This appears to load well after everything else has finished loading & therefore causing the page to 'jump down' by a couple of lines.

Now using tapatalk which has sorted problem thanks guys malc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD