Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Jackyards Covers

I’d only ever seen them in photos on the forum before popping into Breeze-Poole yesterday. They have some on a showroom Ocean and I’ve got to say they look a lot better in real life than I’d expected them to. The van was locked (COVID-secure) so I couldn’t sit/feel but the general appearance was top-quality and the colours that may appear quite garish on (some) forum photos really worked well with the character of the Cali. Still can’t afford them though!

I’d only ever seen them in photos on the forum before popping into Breeze-Poole yesterday. They have some on a showroom Ocean and I’ve got to say they look a lot better in real life than I’d expected them to. The van was locked (COVID-secure) so I couldn’t sit/feel but the general appearance was top-quality and the colours that may appear quite garish on (some) forum photos really worked well with the character of the Cali. Still can’t afford them though!
Hi,

Every time i see photos of these i cant quite understand the value at £828 for an Ocean they don't scream value to me. I really don't like the look of the standard palladium seats and wold never dream of having something like that "in a normal car" but art velour's again wasn't value in my eyes for synthetic cover. Has anyone ever gone for a full retrim on a new vehicle and if so where did you go?
I hate the thought of removing the perfectly good condition original covers but a retrim in a nice dyed leather with perforated centres i would like if possible.

If i was forced down a cover route it needs to be "second skin" type for the aesthetics for me but i am yet to see something i like enough to place the order. Its not going to be a van that has children or pets to worry about so staining is not a big concern. It just feels like a big step back in time to keep the original factory fabric. I may feel differently when i see one in the flesh, but as everything to do with this purchase has been "blind" to date i cant see me ever seeing one in the flesh till mine gets delivered. Thanks for the posts everyone they really are helpful to someone like me that is starting out at a time when you cant physically view anything.

It depends what you want ,each to their own really and respect your view. We want investment protection with added character within our Cali Ocean as was £73k so the cost ,quality of the very best handmade covers is proportional. We also have good quality fitted rubber mats throughout covering carpet and the wood effect floor specifically for winter use. We do have a Springer Spaniel but when in Camper mode, cooking ,eating, sleeping, washing I would say you will need all the protection you can get in your Cali.
Good luck with your new Cali search.

Hi,

Every time i see photos of these i cant quite understand the value at £828 for an Ocean they don't scream value to me. I really don't like the look of the standard palladium seats and wold never dream of having something like that "in a normal car" but art velour's again wasn't value in my eyes for synthetic cover. Has anyone ever gone for a full retrim on a new vehicle and if so where did you go?
I hate the thought of removing the perfectly good condition original covers but a retrim in a nice dyed leather with perforated centres i would like if possible.

If i was forced down a cover route it needs to be "second skin" type for the aesthetics for me but i am yet to see something i like enough to place the order. Its not going to be a van that has children or pets to worry about so staining is not a big concern. It just feels like a big step back in time to keep the original factory fabric. I may feel differently when i see one in the flesh, but as everything to do with this purchase has been "blind" to date i cant see me ever seeing one in the flesh till mine gets delivered. Thanks for the posts everyone they really are helpful to someone like me that is starting out at a time when you cant physically view anything.
I am new to this forum but I have not yet seen Drive Dressy (https://drivedressy.com/) out of Germany mentioned in any forum. They have a 3d visualisation tool with some unique patterns that might fit your taste! Not cheap but 'cheaper'. I am considering ordering some myself for my new Beach.

Hi,

Jackyards covers do seem to be a marmite thing: love them or hate them.

Hello all,
We are pleased to share our photos, experience of the new handmade seat covers for our very special California Ocean 6.1.They were made by Jackyards in Poole, Dorset (www.jackyards.com) ,using the highest quality acrylic canvas for longevity and durability. We were able to agree our design(their was a lot of choice of colours and design! ).The covers are of outstanding quality and are a perfect match for the quality of the California Ocean. We got a high standard of personal service from Denise and her small team throughout the making process, delivery and after care. Denise is very professional and insisted that they must be a perfect fit and that we are 100% happy with them ,which we are of course. If you want top quality seat covers for your Ocean, Beach then Jackyards is the place to go to.
They do look fab

Hello Billylou,
Thank you for this very good advice and we will re fit the straps there.

Hello Blakeley,
Noted you are a hater ,noted your views, but please get your facts right re airbags.
Do you really know how an airbag works? They are triggered by sensors and linked to a small explosive device which ignites to produce a sudden release of nitrogen gas. The gas fills the airbag, rapidly inflating it to cushion the blow of an impact. The force of inflation can break bones! They are triggered at forces of more than 20 times the force of gravity. The seat covers have loose flaps on the side and one small velcro strap. Do you really think the seat cover would stop the airbags doing their job?

Hi @Scott and Linda
Thanks for the explanation above. I am considering your covers for my new Beach, but was a bit concerned about potential airbag deployment.
Do you have any photo’s showing the flap and velcro on one of the covers when fitted on a seat? Thank you in advance.

I would not trust seats that do not comply as airbag safe i know what expense some firms go through to get their seat covers approved they have special sewing machines that use special thread that breaks on impact they also to comply have a unique code produced by the machine and sewn on to the inside of the cover this unique code will tell who made the cover and were they were made and that the machine was used to sew them. there is no proof that a flap or velcro would work properly its a gamble.

Not wishing to stir things up but if you look at Jackysrds T&C’s you’ll see this:
7: Liability

7.1 Where the goods being supplied are seat covers and the vehicle to which they are being fitted is equipped with in-seat airbags we cannot warrant or represent that the in-seat airbags will operate in the event that they are deployed, as the goods have not been tried and tested in this respect.
exactly thats why the ones that do comply have actually been tested and approved.

All noted thanks calikev and believe this is an old chestnut, (fuse details for 6.1 brilliant, thanks and have replied to you).
Hello Billylou, would suggest you contact Denise at Jackyards she will be able to give you all the technical info re construction ,pictures and assurance. We have risk assessed this and have no worries whatsoever.

All noted thanks calikev and believe this is an old chestnut, (fuse details for 6.1 brilliant, thanks and have replied to you).
Hello Billylou, would suggest you contact Denise at Jackyards she will be able to give you all the technical info re construction ,pictures and assurance. We have risk assessed this and have no worries whatsoever.

We took the view that an open flap needs no testing, unlike weak stitching which would need to be tested.

If the material was thin the flap would probably be OK and acceptable but these are made from big thick fabric that if it obstructed the air bag the consequences could be fatal. (Watch YouTube on how airbags deploy)

I can't understand why Jackyards does not just get them tested , there are smaller companies than theirs that sell seat covers that are all compliant.

If you are in an industry like this there is no excuse

We took the view that an open flap needs no testing, unlike weak stitching which would need to be tested.
This is my view as well & Risk Assessment as well, - What I like about Jackyard covers is the
Sail-cloth supports the way we use the van and gives the protection we want. This thread gets like the Ocean v Beach spats that crop up now and again or where you buy your fuel from.

I don’t see how someone can say they have done a “ Risk Assessment “ without actually triggering the air bags with such covers fitted and noted the way the air bags deployed, speed, volume and position etc. Without such information there is no way such a “ Risk Assessment “ is valid.
As far as informing the Insurance Company, well non-certified seat covers would probably make the insurance invalid, especially in the event of a claim unless they had given permission.

I’m a bit confused here - the airbag deploys through the side of the seat back. What happens when the door-side armrest is raised, so is between the seat side and the door? Surely this will have more of a negative impact than a Velcro’d seat cover side?

I’m a bit confused here - the airbag deploys through the side of the seat back. What happens when the door-side armrest is raised, so is between the seat side and the door? Surely this will have more of a negative impact than a Velcro’d seat cover side?
The Airbag deploys upwards and forwards from the upper section of the side bolster, above the arm rest stowage position.

Noted thanks and agree Tom. We love our covers and many Cali owners do so moving on....

Thank you for posting.

I am struggling to understand how that could fail to deploy effectively from the open side of a Jackyards cover.

Have a look at where the open side of the Jackyards cover is - on the side of seat behind an arm rest if raised. Then have a look at the brandrup or Inka seat covers & have a look where the special stitching is - its more to the front of the seat.

The airbag if set off, it is fired more towards the dashboard so it ends up as a cushion between the seat occupant and the side window.

Purely my own opinion but I think the open flap on the Jackyards should actually be on the front corner of cover not on the side.

Having tried (without success) to buy covers for my California Coast from another well known manufacturer I came across Jackyards who were highly recommended on the California Owners Club forum. One look at their website but more importantly a phone call to Jackyards answered by Denise, I knew they were the covers I wanted, nothing seemed too much trouble, even a change of colour a week later was no problem (apparently they allow a delay to allow for this). These covers are truly bespoke made by skilled sailmakers. 4 weeks after I ordered them they arrived (1 week ahead of schedule), 1 hour after delivery Bertie my Bus had a big smile wearing his new clothes. Thank you Denise and all at Jackyards for a 1st class product and a level of customer service all should aspire to but very few attain.IMG_4129.jpegIMG_4131.jpeg

Having tried (without success) to buy covers for my California Coast from another well known manufacturer I came across Jackyards who were highly recommended on the California Owners Club forum. One look at their website but more importantly a phone call to Jackyards answered by Denise, I knew they were the covers I wanted, nothing seemed too much trouble, even a change of colour a week later was no problem (apparently they allow a delay to allow for this). These covers are truly bespoke made by skilled sailmakers. 4 weeks after I ordered them they arrived (1 week ahead of schedule), 1 hour after delivery Bertie my Bus had a big smile wearing his new clothes. Thank you Denise and all at Jackyards for a 1st class product and a level of customer service all should aspire to but very few attain.View attachment 96199View attachment 96200

Over five years on we still absolutely love our Jackyards covers. Some slight signs of wear, and some stains that won’t wash out, but after 80,000 miles and about 400 nights with four people and a dog sleeping in the van, that’s hardly a surprise.