Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Jack

P

Peter Guiton Cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
The Jack in the Cali is not really upto it , has anyone purchased a small trolley Jack that can be carried in the boot

Cheers

No.

The trolly jack stays at home.

Using the van jack myself would be an absolute last resort after the following have failed:

VW inflation kit
Plugging the tyre & pumping it up.
Calling VW assist

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
I'd agree, not worth the effort, space is already tight in a Cali...

As we have 18” wheels there’s no spare, so pointless carrying any type of jack!

The Jack in the Cali is not really upto it , has anyone purchased a small trolley Jack that can be carried in the boot

Cheers
Why not? I used it to take my tyre off last month, take the tyre to the garage for repair and put it back on again. Zero issues.

As we have 18” wheels there’s no spare, so pointless carrying any type of jack!
Same but after two punctures we bought the hanger kit and a 17” spare for next time. Still needed it to take the tyre off and pop it to the garage though, so used jack. They wanted the tyre leaving for the day to do a puncture repair.

I’ve used the supplied jack at least twice to swap to my spare after a puncture. It’s absolutely fine for the job.

I’ve used the supplied jack at least twice to swap to my spare after a puncture. It’s absolutely fine for the job.
Agreed, jack works fine for me. I carry a flat piece of wood to increase the spread on poor surfaces and protect where jacking over tiles etc. What I do not like is the CW wheel brace. It has a floppy fit on the wheel nuts - in particular with the locknut and key. I carry a long torque wrench and 19mm socket, which makes all the difference in undoing stubborn bolts, and putting them back to a safe torque.

Last edited:
Agreed, jack works fine for me. I carry flat piece of wood to increase the spread on poor surfaces and protect where jacking over tiles etc. What I do not like is the CW wheel brace. It has a floppy fit on the wheel nuts - in particular with the locknut and key. I carry a long torque wrench and 19mm socket, which makes all the difference in undoing stubborn bolts, and putting them back to a safe tightness.
I agreed with you the jack supplied on my 2015 se is really good as any I’ve ever tried. I must have used it 20-30 times to change my wheels around. I have a 2 ton trolley jack which is just not up to the job.

On first use my jack snapped and van came down with a bang. Very dangerous and scary. Had to call for a recovery. The jack was trapped under the van.

On first use my jack snapped and van came down with a bang. Very dangerous and scary. Had to call for a recovery. The jack was trapped under the van.
Obviously can't speak for a T5 jack, perhaps they used to be worse made, your experience sounds awful.