Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Isotop Mk VI T6.1 Electric roof

couplands

couplands

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
20230425_181823_Original.jpegHi,

We bought the MK VI Isotop and have been fitting it this week in the warmer weather. All going well fitting the Velcro etc following the excellent video from @Californiatime.

However, I’m now a fitting the actual canvas and it appears too short by about 60mm. I’ve tried starting at the front and working backward. Also starting at the back working forwards. Both times it’s just too short.

I’ve stretched it as much as I can (but there’s not much give in it anyway) and I can’t get it to fit.

Any ideas…? I ordered the version for the electric roof.

Could someone measure the length of their roof on the inside. From the join at the front to the rear..? Ours is 2460mm, just want to check some obvious dimensions as I still can’t get the Isotop to fit comfortably.

I’m so disappointed at the moment with this product.

Can't help with the Iso-TVI, but I've not been a fan of Brandrup stuff in general. For the cost it should be spot on. And there is way too much reliance on velcro across many of their products when magnets work so much better. GL getting it to fit.

I think I'm agreeing with you about the design/build quality.

Lots of loose velcro and a very tight canvas is making it look very shabby.

I've taken measurements of the canvas (2385mm long) verses the roof (2460mm long) and while I can imagine a bit of a difference 60-70mm is a lot of a gap to make up.

I'm about to email Brandrup to see what they say.

I did call the club shop but they referred me to videos I'd already watched.

Try undo the Velcro on the front panel both the top tabs and the bottom strip. Then do up the zips and try and attach at the bottom first then the tabs?

I have fitted four of these to different vans & not had one that didn't fit perfectly yet.

Could we have a phot of the back corners as those are the critical bits to get positioned correctly?

Last edited:
Try undo the Velcro on the front panel both the top tabs and the bottom strip. Then do up the zips and try and attach at the bottom first then the tabs?

I have fitted four of these to different vans & not had one that didn't fit perfectly yet.

Could we have a phot of the back corners as those are the critical bits to get positioned correctly?
I've taken the canvas out now (to measure it) but I've really got the top corners up and over the headlining. I've pulled it as far as I can and it still won't reach the front tabs without stress.

I'm starting at the back and work forward, it's not reaching the front tabs so if I zipped the front panel in it would be 50mm from the tabs.

Here are a couple of corner photos from attempt #15... 20230426_134622.jpg20230426_134630.jpg

20230426_134622.jpg

The seam looks as if its in the wrong place. I wonder if somehow you got an isotop for a different model. Dimensions seem way out of whack for T6.1.

That’s not fitted correctly at the back, you shouldn’t be able to see the elastic at all & rear section should be taught.

That’s not fitted correctly at the back, you shouldn’t be able to see the elastic at all & rear section should be taught.
On my other attempts the elastic is completely hidden up above the headlining. I've pulled it back/forth across the corner so I feel I've buried it as far as it will go.

A trip to Luton might be needed...lol :)

The seam looks as if its in the wrong place. I wonder if somehow you got an isotop for a different model. Dimensions seem way out of whack for T6.1.
I thought that too, but I checked with the club shop and they said that only the Beech is larger, so if I had the wrong g version it would be too big rather than too small.

I've sent detail measurements to Brandrup and I'll await their reply.

On my other attempts the elastic is completely hidden up above the headlining. I've pulled it back/forth across the corner so I feel I've buried it as far as it will go.

A trip to Luton might be needed...lol :)
Happy to help if you are passing.

I received a reply from Brandrup, they advised I attach the bottom of the canvas first and then pull it up to the roof, working from back to front.

I also took special care to get the back canvas panel exactly centre.

Both these things allowed me to get a close enough fit. I still had to pull/stretch the canvas along the top edge but at least it’s a bit closer to the front tabs.

I think my technique is improving and after this weekends camping I may try again and see if I can get it fitting better.

If it is any comfort I had a huge struggle when I first fitted my Brandrup seat covers. (11 years ago but I still bear the scars). After a time things seemed to improve. I think Brandrup make their kit to fit perfectly once on, but that can make the actual fitting quite difficult & hard work especially first time.