Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Isofix and car seats

J

Jennydddd

VIP Member
Hi there,

We have just put a deposit down on a nearly new Cali and I need to get a car seat sorted for our 6yo son. Can I please ask those of you with an Isofix car seat, how difficult is it to clip and unclip it into place each time? We will obviously need to do that each time we put the lower bed down so need to know!

Thanks very much

At first we found the isofix fittings difficult to manage but we quickly got used to them.
The trick is to understand exactly where the welded-on rod is onto which the isofix jaws on the seat fix.
Do two things
1 slide the seat forward a foot, go round behind it and look and see where the welded-on rods are. each one is shaped like an inverted U, each arm about 2"
2 go back round the front and stick your fingers through the slot between the back of the seat and the bit you sit in and feel around until you come across the said inverted U and learn where it is. It might take a few minutes to find first time and there are some sharp bits.

When you have where they are positioned in your mind, ram the two seat fitting in until you hear them engage - a sort of click. We need to be quite brutal with one of our seats.
Then position the seat once these fittings are locked in.

We have a maxicosi isofix babyseat (18 months grandchild) which is much more difficult to fit than the Maxicos Rodfix seat for (5yr grandchild) - the former a minute or two, the latter 15 secs.

Hope this helps and enjoy your van :cool

Guys,
I can't believe the Isofix on the T5 is classed as fit for purpose.

The fittings are welded on to the box thing at the base of the back of the rear seat but are miles....MILES....away from the back of the seat.

I appreciate it must be difficult to have an isofix fitting for a bench seat that folds flat for a bed but it's been impossible for me to get the 2 clamps on the carseat through the crack in the seat and push them all the way back to the isofix fittings.

Am I doing something wrong??

I had the wife in the back (easy now...not like that) guiding the clamps towards to isofix fittings whilst I used all my strength to force the clamps far enough back to grip on. But no cigar.

Isn't isofix designed to be "easy on & off" as well as safe?

At this rate, the kids won't be coming to France in the summer :lol:

Art

They are a pain (esp the one at the kitchen side) but I manage it, so keep at it with the missus in the back!

I do find the 5th seat a heck of a lot easier, but we've only one child. In any case that comes out when we camp, so a good hour is usually allocated to getting the thing in the back!

I use a BeSafe Izi-Kid isofix rear-facing child seat, which has arms long enough to (just) get thru the rear seat (it also doesn't have the faffy straps that some use). We spent ages with the company we bought from, trying the various seats & options (I realise some of this may not help you Art, but just to mention it for others who may be buying).

I tend to angle the front of the seat up (to point the seat isofix arms down), push it in slightly then straighten it so the brackets come in line, before a final shove to lock. I do this probably 8 or 10 times before it works, so I'm not that efficient!

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We have a Recaro baby seat that goes in nearest the fridge as we worked out that while it made getting into the firdge etc harder it made it easier to get in and out of the van. We modified our Inka covers to let us put the isofix connector through and that helps as the holes are in line with the brackets. First fit took about 30 minutes now its a 2 minute job and really easy.

It's a few months since we first fitted our Car seat and it still takes a while although at least now we know it can be done. We can only do it with one of us in the back though with a torch guiding it in. Not easy!

For those of you considering a Beach, the 3 seater rear bench is easy to use with ISOFix child seats as it is actually a Caravelle item. We use a Britax childseat that fits easily. I would guess the 2 seat bench is the same in both flavours of Cali.

My tuppence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk