Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is your van your only vehicle? (Poll included)

Is your van your only vehicle?

• Yes

Votes: 114 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 130 53.3%

• Total voters
Hello all,

We are waiting very excitedly for our Cali Ocean to arrive - hopefully be here by the end of October.

As the delivery date approaches, it’s got us thinking about if we will need our existing car as well as the Cali. We previously owned two vehicles, but since the pandemic and working from home (which is set to continue), we sold one as we just didn’t use it… and haven’t missed having two vehicles.

I’ve read plenty of topics about people who use their vans as a daily drive without too many dramas which is great, but I just can’t currently imagine popping to Tesco for the weekly shop with my sleeping bag and portaloo in the boot!

I’ve created this poll (hopefully!), as I’m interested to see how many others have just the one vehicle and what your experiences are, is it really practical? I’m wondering if others like us sold a second vehicle in the last two years as circumstances changed and found they don’t miss it.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Absolutely - I replaced a Q7 with a Cali and actually find it easier to park and more practical. It’s a tiny bit wider but fits everywhere (unless I’ve got the roof bars on) and visibility is brilliant.

Hello all,

We are waiting very excitedly for our Cali Ocean to arrive - hopefully be here by the end of October.

As the delivery date approaches, it’s got us thinking about if we will need our existing car as well as the Cali. We previously owned two vehicles, but since the pandemic and working from home (which is set to continue), we sold one as we just didn’t use it… and haven’t missed having two vehicles.

I’ve read plenty of topics about people who use their vans as a daily drive without too many dramas which is great, but I just can’t currently imagine popping to Tesco for the weekly shop with my sleeping bag and portaloo in the boot!

I’ve created this poll (hopefully!), as I’m interested to see how many others have just the one vehicle and what your experiences are, is it really practical? I’m wondering if others like us sold a second vehicle in the last two years as circumstances changed and found they don’t miss it.
Hello all,

Bought our Cali in June 2015 (we have a floristry business) and it’s been our only vehicle since then. We work together so no need for a second vehicle. Currently on 98,000 miles. No issues with day to day use, parking et. etc.

I just have the Cali and an electric bike for getting into town/ the allotment. I do wonder though whether it’s bad for the cali to do short trips eg taking the cat to the vet! any thoughts welcome..

Used my Cali as a daily for years, however couple of years ago bought an old Toyota Yaris for £600 which is now my daily, love the old Yaris, love having a banger as my daily again, no longer worry about muddy dogs, tip runs and people opening car doors onto my beautiful Cali in supermarket car parks…no longer worry about anything…and it does 60mpg.

This is what I do to safeguard my daily driver “Bertie” T6 Ocean

I have a '21 Ocean and a 2017 BMW 2 series. I've been thinking about getting rid of the BMW and just driving the Cali.
The Cali has better driving aids (reversing camera, all-round parking sensors) which makes it quite easy to manoeuver. I also like the high driving position, which makes it easy to see over other cars. I have the 2.0 4Motion with DSG which work well. It's still a bit like driving a jelly compared to a car, though. It's certainly not a drivers machine (and I like driving). It fits (just about) in my local Tesco parking bays.
Fuel economy is poor, especially on short runs, but I knew that when I bought it.
It can be an only vehicle, but not if you want something fun to drive, and it's a bit too ponderous for town driving for me.

Our Cali replaced an Audi Q7 which we travelled about a lot in (but usually had to return home at the end of day-trips unless booking a hotel). The Cali brought an added dimension to our travels and has given us greater flexibility in where we go, what we do and for how long. Our alternative transport is a little Mazda MX-5, our fun car for days out on the back roads and "small" shopping trips.

I have two Minis next to the VW. One is a 2012 All4 Countryman that I drive in winter and the other a 2018 Mini Cooper S that I drive in summer. I like them both a lot and can't make up my mind which one I should sell. Only one can be on the road at any given time as they both use the same license plates and insurance policy.

We use our T6 Ocean as our main family car. We had a 5 series estate as well for a while, but sold it as not really used. We do have an old MGF we use as a runabout, which with two kids is helpful, but if we needed to go back down to one car it wouldn't be a problem, and the van is actually probably one of the most practical car's we've ever had

My Ocean joined my '17 Mustang 5.0 about two years ago on our "fleet", so we were a two car household for a while. But literally the Mustang never turned a wheel after getting the Cali, and a dog!, so it was sold on a rising 2nd hand car market in the middle of 2021. I did not enjoy that. We loved, me especially, the Mustang and thus it was leggy for that type of car but still got a good price (73% retained value). In terms of our personal circumstances, I WFH full time and my better half either cycles/runs/walks/busses to work.

My company offers EVs at great rates, but ultimately the Cali sits for 95% of the time and any EV would do the same, so pointless getting something because "it's cheap".

So therefore, our van as a single vehicle will do us for the foreseeable, with the potential for swapping it for an EV equivalent when the market has bedded in a bit.

Our Beach was our only car for two years, then we bought a Skoda Citigo which gets used much more often but only does 3000 miles per year compared with the Beach’s 15,000 miles per year.

On top of that, our two boys have a bicycle each, Clare and I have a main bike and a folding bike each. We have a tandem, a tandem triplet and a genuine Chinese cargo trike, imported from Shanghai- complete with registration plate mandatory for all commercial bikes in China.

As I discover every year when I insure my Cali, answering 'none' to "how many other vehicles do you have access to?", rapidly reduces the number of folks willing to quote. Add in LHD, and it shrinks again.
Those who insure £80k of Cali for £300 expect it to be reserved for holidays and high days. When they see it is an everything and only vehicle, they scarper. Its still possible, and wise, but not very popular.

If this seems at odds with the 40/60 poll results, is because your question allows for those where their spouse / partner to have a 2nd vehicle in the household and still answer yes in your poll.

As I discover every year when I insure my Cali, answering 'none' to "how many other vehicles do you have access to?", rapidly reduces the number of folks willing to quote. Add in LHD, and it shrinks again.
Those who insure £80k of Cali for £300 expect it to be reserved for holidays and high days. When they see it is an everything and only vehicle, they scarper. Its still possible, and wise, but not very popular.

If this seems at odds with the 40/60 poll results, is because your question allows for those where their spouse / partner to have a 2nd vehicle in the household and still answer yes in your poll.

Do many people consider their cars his and hers?

We consider our two cars ours.

The decision over which car to use is based on need.

For completeness, I am the registered keeper for both, the named first driver for our Beach and the second driver for our Citigo. But all that is out of necessity not choice.

we did have only one car for the last few years after I started working fully remote and this was the case until we got the Cali in June. We don't need two cars and the Cali (only 500 miles on it) has just been sitting on the drive while we use the family car for most trips. We could definitely sell the family car and save a lot of money on running costs plus get a chunk back for the sale. I'm struggling to use the Cali as an every day car at the moment though cos I am too precious about it, haha. Also our Audi TDI does 50-60mpg and the Cali only 30-40. As you can tell, I'm on the fence same as you about what to do! It would make sense to only have the Cali but I can't get my head around leaving it to get dinged in the supermarket car park etc.
We have the same set up and supermarket concerns so tend to use the Audi as the run around, it’s a diesel ultra so £30 annual road tax and over 50 mpg BUT…. Just had the four year cam belt service at over £1,000 and it needs 4 new tyres soon so…….

If I had to use the Cali all the time I’d hate it within a month. Great vehicle but a PITA in town.

If I had to use the Cali all the time I’d hate it within a month. Great vehicle but a PITA in town.
You know I'm a big T4 fan, but one of the areas they have progressively improved over the years is the around town driving experience. Lighter steering, shorter gear throws, lighter clutch, ride, and the big step forward the DSG.

What I'm pointing out is that the question is catching many more 'yes' responses (nearly 50%) than actually apply to what I think is the OP's future circumstances are.....

It sounds like they are considering just having the Cali as the only vehicle in the household (which is my circumstance), whereas I'd postulate that the vast majority of yes votes are from couples who have a Cali and a car. One being the main driver of the Cali (and likely forum member), but with lots of swapping around, or picking the most suitable one, based on requirements.

What I'm pointing out is that the question is catching many more 'yes' responses (nearly 50%) than actually apply to what I think is the OP's future circumstances are.....

It sounds like they are considering just having the Cali as the only vehicle in the household (which is my circumstance), whereas I'd postulate that the vast majority of yes votes are from couples who have a Cali and a car. One being the main driver of the Cali (and likely forum member), but with lots of swapping around, or picking the most suitable one, based on requirements.

Thanks everyone for your continued input to the poll and comments, it’s made for interesting reading :thumb

@2into1 you raise a very valid point here. I was aiming to keep my poll super simple, but perhaps I over simplified by not being more specific about only vehicle in the household / that you have access to.

In addition to our California Ocean we have a (leased) Mercedes A220D. We didn’t have a choice about keeping the Mercedes as the lease didn’t expire until March 2024. We live in a village (which has a train station) and we’re trying to see how often we both need a vehicle to go on separate journeys. Not sure what we’ll do in the future. The Cali isn’t as easy for nipping around town due to height barriers on car parks.

In 2018 we looked at a "demonstrator" Ocean at a VW dealer and, out of curiosity, we asked if they would part exchange one of our cars - expecting pitifully low figure. To our amazement it came back as a good figure so we asked about our other car and the same again. So we took the plunge, part exchanging an S Max and a Jag XE to buy Maurice the Traveller. He's been our only vehicle since and we haven't looked back. We would have no hesitation in recommending a Cali as a sole vehicle.

We bought our Coast 2nd hand in February with the intention of getting rid of our ageing Peugeot 107. We have had 2 previous Fiat Ducato campervans over the last 10 years and kept the 107 all this time (had it from new 2007). We have been saying each year at MOT time that when it finally dies we’ll chuck it in the bin! ………. Well, it just keeps on going!

So that brings us to where we are now…. The Cali is nicer to drive in EVERY SINGLE WAY but the 107 is so cheap and tatty that we really don’t care how we treat it (trips to the tip full of rubbish/garden stuff etc), it’s super cheap to tax and insure and does 65 MPG on a run or 58 round the houses……… so that makes it difficult to think about just popping down the road in the van knowing the cost will probably be double :eek:

Our dilemma remains however……. it does look as if the 107 might eventually die soon…..but until then it will get used for all the shorter trips, rubbish trips and even the 1200 mile round trip to see family in Cornwall (from where we are inScotland)……….. but when it does go…… the van will become our only vehicle.

To put some perspective on this we are both retired so no need for independent transport. We used to do 200 to 300 days away per year but looking more like 150+ now so the VW does fit the middle ground.

When my van arrives it will be my only vehicle, one of the reasons we went for a California is it’s versatility. Cant justify two vehicles as wfh and commute by train, yes there will be compromises having only one vehicle both from a daily drive and on longer trips. But having considered all options and budget the Ocean is the best all rounder for me.

Like many others always paranoid about my vehicle getting bashed in a public car park.

When my van arrives it will be my only vehicle, one of the reasons we went for a California is it’s versatility. Cant justify two vehicles as wfh and commute by train, yes there will be compromises having only one vehicle both from a daily drive and on longer trips. But having considered all options and budget the Ocean is the best all rounder for me.

Like many others always paranoid about my vehicle getting bashed in a public car park.
A positive take on a Cali as a daily driver is that it does prompt you to consider “Do I really need to take the Cali or would walking or cycling be the better option”

My iPhone tells me that pre Cali my daily average walking distance was 2.7 miles and now has increased to a daily average of 3.7 miles.

Cali is averaging 9210 miles per year at 34 mpg (25.7 miles per day )

Hello all,

The main reason I opted for my Cali was its ability to be all things all year. It’s even good at going shopping and shifting large objects, although it’s best trick is that whenever I climb aboard I’m also transported to the possibility to just keep driving as I always have a second home with me.

We consider our two cars ours.

The decision over which car to use is based on need.

For completeness, I am the registered keeper for both, the named first driver for our Beach and the second driver for our Citigo. But all that is out of necessity not choice.
well, you are going into divorce grounds territory.. Husband and wives have often different views on what his/hers and what is "theirs".
So a man may end up answering "YES" because the Cali is his only (half of it) vehicle, while the Boxster and the E-Class Estate are actually the wife' cars (+half of the Cali).

Back