Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is this a T4 California?

The furniture is correct for the period. The ‘modern’ less colourful furniture came in around 1996/7 with the longnose front end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I re-checked my details and see that this is in fact a 1996. So that would fit with your upholstery comment.

I can understand why you might question it’s originality but I’m with @sidepod on this. It looks genuine with a few slightly different spec items due to its journey through Japan and Canada to you.

As mentioned Westfalia did usually leave a plaque or sticker to identify the model. It may well of been removed if it’s had an all body respect at some point but you should find it on near where the arrow in this picture is pointing. On the ‘C’ post.

191ef1b50076e9aa66b5b8d41e135a0f.jpg

I will check on the plaque. I am awaiting delivery at this point and so cannot tell.

Well whatever it is your van looks absolutely gorgeous. What a find! From your photos it looks mint.

With all the complicated techy stuff on modern vans just waiting to go wrong at some point in the future, it's these early vehicles than will stand the test of time better. :thumb
It is close to mint, from what I can tell (awaiting delivery). Has only 34,885 miles on it! An independent mechanic confirmed that it does indeed appear to have been used very little. I guess Japan is a small island...but still!

The colour matches with what VW we’re selling at the time for Westfalia California’s, the only thing is it is possibly missing some decals - like in @sidepods picture. I couldn’t be sure about that though as it’s a different market to here Europe.

If you can find one they cost the earth as well as weighing about the same as the earth. I had one. Used it three times in 10 years so sold it.

As I have three kids, and as it is a stick shift, the extra seat seemed key. I believe if not for the stick shift, I could get a double seat for one of the front seats and make a bench seat, basically?

We'll see about how hard it is to get that seat out. POSSIBLY, as my kids are small, I can run with the extra seat facing backwards (safer anyway) and then just slide the seats together to make a bed of sorts. But unsure if it would be in the way/a royal pain in terms of storage access.

If my wife and I are able to heft the middle seat out at campgrounds, sounds like we should find a way to secure it...you think somebody would know what it is and steal it? Perhaps some fake vommit would dissuade them? Or a stuffed Attack Chihuahua with motion sensor? Seriously, open to ideas. Maybe I can get some walls that hook on the Fiamma canopy to provide some cover to reduce temptation...?

Interior and cabinets are genuine, not sure if they are original to the van though. As mentioned windows look wrong and the electric hook up looks in the wrong place. I also didn't think they had a heated rear window, although that might have been on the ones with double glazing. That said, it might depend what year the van is as the spec's seemed to change based on what I've seen advertised on ebay.

The roof rack is the same as the one I had, which is discussed here:

Either way, lovely looking van, which I'm sure you'll have great fun in.
GOLD! So that is a "Sherpas Combi Translift roof bar system"!!! Well done, mate!

As I have three kids, and as it is a stick shift, the extra seat seemed key. I believe if not for the stick shift, I could get a double seat for one of the front seats and make a bench seat, basically?

We'll see about how hard it is to get that seat out. POSSIBLY, as my kids are small, I can run with the extra seat facing backwards (safer anyway) and then just slide the seats together to make a bed of sorts. But unsure if it would be in the way/a royal pain in terms of storage access.

If my wife and I are able to heft the middle seat out at campgrounds, sounds like we should find a way to secure it...you think somebody would know what it is and steal it? Perhaps some fake vommit would dissuade them? Or a stuffed Attack Chihuahua with motion sensor? Seriously, open to ideas. Maybe I can get some walls that hook on the Fiamma canopy to provide some cover to reduce temptation...?

I’m not sure it’ll slot in the opposite way round but I never tried that. It’s quite a hefty lump so I doubt you’ll need any additional deterrent but a stuffed attack chihuahua could be fun. We used to use it as additional seating once we set up camp. Or we’d just cover it with a big plastic bag if there was rain. Sides for your Fiamma awning are definitely an option though.

Go on, tell us what you paid? :cheers

Hi Neofeudal,

Nice T4

link below has the US / Canadian + U.K. version of the owner manual thought it may be of useful to you along with a few other links on the site.

like to see some more Pictures when you get the van.

Hi Neofeudal,

Nice T4

link below has the US / Canadian + U.K. version of the owner manual thought it may be of useful to you along with a few other links on the site.

like to see some more Pictures when you get the van.

Many thanks!

WOW what a beauty! It’s amazing how little the basic layout and equipment has changed in nearly 30 years…… I guess once you’ve got it right there’s no point changing it!

Definitely need more pics once she’s delivered :thumb

I noticed when I went from the T4 to the T5 that the space in front of the lower bed was smaller. Could only just get the portapotti in front of the bed. Same with my T6.

I have a '98 Cali, never left Germany till I bought it.
Yours looks excellent, I'd be delighted to have such blemish-free metal! But I suspect it's a combination of 2 vehicles - a genuine Westi perhaps with rust or crash damage, and a low mileage good quality donor. Whether the donor was used to provide complete panels, or whether the insides of the westi were stripped out and put into a another vehicle is hard to say from the photos alone.

The furniture is the real deal, though the coloured strips are unfamiliar - maybe that is just the age - my strips are varnished wood. The roof is identical to mine. The back left panel rather than glass is troubling, though glass is utterly pointless in that position anyway. Mine has 2 black plastic chunky vents, on the floor at the step into the cab, one for recirculating the hot air or aircon into the habitation, and one (unused in my case) for the optional diesel heater located under the chassis more or less under the sink unit. I would have expected to see the iconic "Caktus" design on the seat fabric - but, again, that might be different in your year. That second mains socket in the centre of the van is not original I'd say.

OK - one big red flag - look at the window at the kitchen unit. In mine it's a push out type, with little arms at each end - and goes out to about 180 degrees. It's made of plastic, double glazed, kinds bubble out a bit like caravan windows. Comes with a warning to close it before moving off. On yours, it looks like the one on the sliding door, glass, with a sliding section and built-in flynet. Again it could be just the year but I'd suspect a donor.

All in all that's a classy looking Cali. I'd be proud to own it. But it might not satisfy the guys who gather in muddy fields to evaluate each other's vans for historical accuracy.

My 2¢!

Yours looks excellent, I'd be delighted to have such blemish-free metal! But I suspect it's a combination of 2 vehicles - a genuine Westi perhaps with rust or crash damage, and a low mileage good quality donor. Whether the donor was used to provide complete panels, or whether the insides of the westi were stripped out and put into a another vehicle is hard to say from the photos alone.

The furniture is the real deal, though the coloured strips are unfamiliar - maybe that is just the age - my strips are varnished wood. The roof is identical to mine. The back left panel rather than glass is troubling, though glass is utterly pointless in that position anyway. Mine has 2 black plastic chunky vents, on the floor at the step into the cab, one for recirculating the hot air or aircon into the habitation, and one (unused in my case) for the optional diesel heater located under the chassis more or less under the sink unit. I would have expected to see the iconic "Caktus" design on the seat fabric - but, again, that might be different in your year. That second mains socket in the centre of the van is not original I'd say.

OK - one big red flag - look at the window at the kitchen unit. In mine it's a push out type, with little arms at each end - and goes out to about 180 degrees. It's made of plastic, double glazed, kinds bubble out a bit like caravan windows. Comes with a warning to close it before moving off. On yours, it looks like the one on the sliding door, glass, with a sliding section and built-in flynet. Again it could be just the year but I'd suspect a donor.

All in all that's a classy looking Cali. I'd be proud to own it. But it might not satisfy the guys who gather in muddy fields to evaluate each other's vans for historical accuracy.

My 2¢!
Hi Pat, can we have some pics please:thumb

I made a mistake about the push-out window - that should read "pushes out to 90 degrees", not 180!

Re photos - normally I'd be delighted to put up whatever photos you needed, but not right now. Mine is sadly in getting major surgery. She failed the roadworthiness test this year - has a lot of rust in the usual places - all around the rims, arches, and particularly on and under the sliding door. I got a kit of 12 of the most likely panels (well the lower sections) from Poland and UK made by Klokkerholm ( or copied from them!). But when I stripped her of all the Westfalia furniture, and the grey flooring and the plywood underneath - there was some ugly rust/rot in the floor. The chassis seems fine though. So the guys have gone off to cut out a complete floor from a donor van, then duplicate all the holes for the fridge exhaust etc, then do the original job with the rusty rims, then spray... - it will be another week or two till I get it back, and will be months I'd say until I have everything back inside her. I want to add sound and heat insulation while it's wide open, and add a rear camera for better visibility when launching my boat. I'm still hoping to get some playtime out of her this year, but most likely it will be with a portable gas ring and no fridge, and a mattress on the bare floor! If you want photos of the Westfalia furniture of course I can do that.

I made a mistake about the push-out window - that should read "pushes out to 90 degrees", not 180!

Re photos - normally I'd be delighted to put up whatever photos you needed, but not right now. Mine is sadly in getting major surgery. She failed the roadworthiness test this year - has a lot of rust in the usual places - all around the rims, arches, and particularly on and under the sliding door. I got a kit of 12 of the most likely panels (well the lower sections) from Poland and UK made by Klokkerholm ( or copied from them!). But when I stripped her of all the Westfalia furniture, and the grey flooring and the plywood underneath - there was some ugly rust/rot in the floor. The chassis seems fine though. So the guys have gone off to cut out a complete floor from a donor van, then duplicate all the holes for the fridge exhaust etc, then do the original job with the rusty rims, then spray... - it will be another week or two till I get it back, and will be months I'd say until I have everything back inside her. I want to add sound and heat insulation while it's wide open, and add a rear camera for better visibility when launching my boat. I'm still hoping to get some playtime out of her this year, but most likely it will be with a portable gas ring and no fridge, and a mattress on the bare floor! If you want photos of the Westfalia furniture of course I can do that.
WOW sounds like a mamouth job!

Best of luck getting the old girl roadworthy again :thumb

Always great to see what others are up to so some pics of the renovations I’m sure will be appreciated by all if you get chance.

I recently purchased a 1995 T4 Westfalia. It was made in Germany, imported to Canada and then to Japan and then to the US. At least, it *looks* like a California. The finish on the cabinets and the upholstery does not look like a California, however. Can anybody tell me what this is?

Stoked that it has a middle seat, at least. I plan to fit that backwards so the kids can scream directly into eachother's faces.

Thank you very much!!!!
View attachment 81725View attachment 81726View attachment 81727View attachment 81728View attachment 81729View attachment 81730View attachment 81731

Hey. I don’t know if you have access to the Chassis/VIN number of your camper but if you can get it try punching it into a website like this - https://en.vindecoder.pl and it should tell you what derivative of the T4 yours should be. I don’t think it was branded as a Westfalia California for the Japanese/US market but may well still of originally been built by Westfalia.

I recently purchased a 1995 T4 Westfalia. It was made in Germany, imported to Canada and then to Japan and then to the US. At least, it *looks* like a California. The finish on the cabinets and the upholstery does not look like a California, however. Can anybody tell me what this is?

Stoked that it has a middle seat, at least. I plan to fit that backwards so the kids can scream directly into eachother's faces.

Thank you very much!!!!
View attachment 81725View attachment 81726View attachment 81727View attachment 81728View attachment 81729View attachment 81730View attachment 81731
No idea what it is but I fell in love :kiss lol

Hi Pat, can we have some pics please:thumb

My 2¢!
I agree, it does not look like a California. That said, it does look like a T4 converted by Westfalia. The roof and bike rack appear original, and that roof rack has left a faint paint stain down the side over the years. Do you know if VW did Westfalia conversion (via Joker) that were not Californias?

Looking in the US market at Winnebego conversions, that rear window remaining solid is reminiscent.

I take delivery tomorrow and will be able to sleuth more, including looking for a Wesfalia tag inside the slideing door frame or elsewhere.
Hey. I don’t know if you have access to the Chassis/VIN number of your camper but if you can get it try punching it into a website like this - https://en.vindecoder.pl and it should tell you what derivative of the T4 yours should be. I don’t think it was branded as a Westfalia California for the Japanese/US market but may well still of originally been built by Westfalia.

That did the trick! According to the VIN, it is a 1995 EuroVan, body style "2 Doors Camper Van". So, I guess VW did get some campers produced that were not Californias per se, but were converted by Westfalia!

That did the trick! According to the VIN, it is a 1995 EuroVan, body style "2 Doors Camper Van". So, I guess VW did get some campers produced that were not Californias per se, but were converted by Westfalia!
Buiult in 1995, anyway. I think it was a 1996 model year.

If it were Me, an email to VW would not be out of order to ask if they can identify the van further from their records And see if they can / will provide more detail. It would be a real bonus to the provenance if they can assist.

Back