Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there increasing resistance against EV’s?

That's why I asked. Why change the loco if the railway gauge is the same?
Sorry :offtopic

Different standards for the power supply? Different hight & width restrictions ?

Apparently the HS2 trains are costing 50% more to be made smaller to meet UK general use requirements, rather than buying European standard size, even though HS2 itself is being built with sufficient hight & width clearances to take European standard size rolling stock.

The biggest obstacle between France and the Uk is the maximum permissible hight and width of the whole train.

So having overcome my initial resistance to buying an EV, which I will say was considerable, I have now been seduced by the cute good looks of the Buzz. I made the decision to cross the divide and sample EV life.
I agree, there does seem to a growing negativity to EV's, or is it an awakening to reality?
My Buzz purchase was in our case only a short term bit of fun until we return to Cali life.
So my question is: if Joe Public is about to decide it's been led up the garden path with EV's, when I come to sell the Buzz to fund the Cali, will I find I've bought a white elephant? Or should I say in our case, a yellow and white elephant?
So sell now while there's a possible premium to be gained, or wait until the Cali arrives?

So having overcome my initial resistance to buying an EV, which I will say was considerable, I have now been seduced by the cute good looks of the Buzz. I made the decision to cross the divide and sample EV life.
I agree, there does seem to a growing negativity to EV's, or is it an awakening to reality?
My Buzz purchase was in our case only a short term bit of fun until we return to Cali life.
So my question is: if Joe Public is about to decide it's been led up the garden path with EV's, when I come to sell the Buzz to fund the Cali, will I find I've bought a white elephant? Or should I say in our case, a yellow and white elephant?
So sell now while there's a possible premium to be gained, or wait until the Cali arrives?
If I’ve got it right, you have no intention of keeping the Buzz long term and you could sell it now at a profit.
You are worried that if you wait the profit will turn into a loss. Then I would say if you value certainty over uncertainty, take the money now. The only reason to hang on to it would be if you thought it would be worth more in a few months. I am afraid I have no opinion on that.

The long wheel base with bigger battery is due very shortly. Will this have an impact on first edition???

If you are 100% sure to sell short/medium term, I would sell now. The prices are not going to increase and you'll be putting additional miles on the Buzz.

Haven’t read any of the thread.

Had an EV for over a year, love it and wouldn’t go back. Calm driving experience, quiet.

Charging at home costs £5 for 250 miles.

Charging away from home had gone up loads which is a shame but I do this once every month at the most.

IS THERE INCREASING RESISTANCE AGAINST EV’S?​

Well as a "boomer", here's just one of the many reasons why I remain rather sceptical about the future of EVs.

I've just received this email from UK Power Networks. As you can see, they think that planned power cuts this winter are unlikely. So why exactly, did they bother writing to tell me?

Dear Priority Services Register customer​

In recent months there has been speculation in the newspapers and on television about the prospect of “power sharing” or planned power cuts this winter in the unlikely scenario of a national energy shortage this winter. We are writing to all the customers on our Priority Services Register to help you prepare for winter.​
While this winter is expected to be challenging, there is no guarantee emergency measures will be necessary. National Grid ESO’s view remains that there will be adequate electricity supplies through the winter. Power sharing would only be used as a very last resort after all other options have been exhausted.

Power cuts might be uncommon, but they can happen all-year-round so it’s important you are prepared and know what to do.​
Emergency power cuts are unlikely to happen, but if they do it is important you know:
  • You will have no power for at least three hours at a time, once or twice a day.
  • Priority Services Register customers will lose power in an emergency. Being on the Priority Services Register does not offer you any protection from the national power cuts.
  • Your gas boiler, heat pump, broadband and home phone will not work during the power cut.
  • Due to the national scale of the power cuts, UK Power Networks cannot supply generators/backup power to customers for these emergencies.

To prepare you should:
  • Find your block letter (and rota, when published) at powercut105.com.

• Keep a mobile phone fully charged (if you have one) so you can use it to go online for updates or call if you have a power cut.
  • Keep a torch handy in case you are without power during the night.
  • Have warm clothes, blankets and food which doesn't need heating accessible.

In the unlikely event you do ever experience a power cut call 105 or visit the 105 website for more advice on what to do.

Yours,

Ian Cameron
Director of Customer Service and Innovation​
blocked
The words "To prepare" say it all.

At the same time, the government are clearly aiming to replace the current national fleet with EVs in as shorter time as possible! They also want us to ditch our gas cookers and boilers in favour of solutions powered by "clean" electricity.

Clearly, it hasn't occurred to them that this "all eggs in one basket" approach to energy is very dangerous indeed and WILL lead to the UK becoming extremely vulnerable to all kinds of interference from a variety of sources!

Last edited:

Well as a "boomer", here's just one of the many reasons why I remain rather sceptical about the future of EVs.

I've just received this email from UK Power Networks. As you can see, they think that planned power cuts this winter are unlikely. So why exactly, did they bother writing to tell me?

In recent months there has been speculation in the newspapers and on television about the prospect of “power sharing” or planned power cuts this winter in the unlikely scenario of a national energy shortage this winter. We are writing to all the customers on our Priority Services Register to help you prepare for winter.​
While this winter is expected to be challenging, there is no guarantee emergency measures will be necessary. National Grid ESO’s view remains that there will be adequate electricity supplies through the winter. Power sharing would only be used as a very last resort after all other options have been exhausted.

Power cuts might be uncommon, but they can happen all-year-round so it’s important you are prepared and know what to do.​
Emergency power cuts are unlikely to happen, but if they do it is important you know:
  • You will have no power for at least three hours at a time, once or twice a day.
  • Priority Services Register customers will lose power in an emergency. Being on the Priority Services Register does not offer you any protection from the national power cuts.
  • Your gas boiler, heat pump, broadband and home phone will not work during the power cut.
  • Due to the national scale of the power cuts, UK Power Networks cannot supply generators/backup power to customers for these emergencies.

To prepare you should:

• Keep a mobile phone fully charged (if you have one) so you can use it to go online for updates or call if you have a power cut.

In the unlikely event you do ever experience a power cut call 105 or visit the 105 website for more advice on what to do.

Yours,

Ian Cameron
blocked

At the same time, the government are clearly aiming to replace the current national fleet with EVs in as shorter time as possible! They also want us to ditch our gas cookers and boilers in favour of solutions powered by "clean" electricity.

Clearly, it hasn't occurred to them that this "all eggs in one basket" approach to energy is very dangerous indeed and WILL lead to the UK becoming extremely vulnerable to all kinds of interference from a variety of sources!
Is that because of EVs, or a reduction of gas supplies from Russia to Europe?

I suggest the latter.

Do you know how much extra power generation Europe will be getting from wind and solar over the next few years?

Already coal powet plants are routinely switched off and only used at times of peak demand. It won’t be too long before gas power plants are also routinely switched off and only used at times of low wind or peak demand.

To prepare you should:

Yours,

Ian Cameron
blocked

Received the same email.

Is that because of EVs, or a reduction of gas supplies from Russia to Europe?

I suggest the latter.

Do you know how much extra power generation Europe will be getting from wind and solar over the next few years?

Already coal powet plants are routinely switched off and only used at times of peak demand. It won’t be too long before gas power plants are also routinely switched off and only used at times of low wind or peak demand.
It certainly is because of Russia. But it was already a big challenge to substitute traditional power generation sources with green ones, now adding more EVs and receiving less gas from Russia may put some prospective EV buyers at least temporarily on hold..

Or has the penny started to drop that EVs are not the universal solution. There are clearly sectors where EVs do work well. There are others where EVs do not work at all. EVs should definitely make up part of the transport fleet but universally definitely no!

Or has the penny started to drop that EVs are not the universal solution. There are clearly sectors where EVs do work well. There are others where EVs do not work at all. EVs should definitely make up part of the transport fleet but universally definitely no!

I do agree with that.
We can charge one EV, but two? No chance.
My work vehicle on some days covers 200miles over the day.
I don’t get a chance to stop. I bounce from one job to another. Rarely are two jobs close together.

All it would take is the electrification of Britain’s trunk road network, and EVs over 4m high fitted with a pantograph. Batteries could power the final few miles from trunk road to depot.

All it would take is the electrification of Britain’s trunk road network, and EVs over 4m high fitted with a pantograph. Batteries could power the final few miles from trunk road to depot.
And how many billions would the trunk road electrification cost! Electrification of the London to Bristol train line has been eye-watering and that is just one route!!

Haven’t read any of the thread.

Had an EV for over a year, love it and wouldn’t go back. Calm driving experience, quiet.

Charging at home costs £5 for 250 miles.

Charging away from home had gone up loads which is a shame but I do this once every month at the most.
Totally Agree. Have had a tesla m3 for 2.5 years and it is amazing to drive and cheap to charge at home. Costs comparable to petrol per mile if you need a top up when away.

There is soooo much misinformed opinion but certain parties have a lot of reason to feed out incorrect information and Express and Co happy to repeat it all endlessly.

I have a diesel VW Ocean on order which saddens me in some respects. I can't see there being an affordable and practical EV version in the near future. My Tesla does 200 miles on a full charge (with a bot left over - short range version) and that is just less than I would ideally want in any future Van or car until charge points ubiquitous in UK and where I would tour abroad.

Back