Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there increasing resistance against EV’s?

HS2 is not so much about shaving time off the journeys but increased capacity.
HS2 passes through my village so i’m affected more than many.
The scale of the works and associated disruption is significant and quite astonishing but despite that I’m of the view that long term the project is of strategic importance to the country.
In my opinion it’s not about the often quoted 20 minutes reduction on the London to Birmingham journey, it’s more about providing better north/south links; reducing the number of short haul flights in the UK and into the EU; taking freight off the road system by freeing up capacity on existing lines; job creation; etc.
Regarding the costs, isn’t the number quoted inaccurate? Every company and individual involved in the project pays taxes, so there is a reverse flow into HMRC. I’d like to see the true cost.
I have local friends who are totally against HS2 however most of them have enjoyed short breaks in Paris using HS1. A touch hypocritical that - OK to have high speed rail whizzing through Kent but not Buckinghamshire. :)
I’ll now put my hard hat on in anticipation.

Give it a break! You’re beginning to sound as delusional as a QAnon member/believer.
Hearsay. Do you have incontrovertible proof.
If you disbelieve the Knordkapp Visitor Reception Staff, because that suits your argument, then I have the right to request the same level of proof from you.

So, just over three years ago we 'leased' an eGolf for just over two hundred a month.
Thought had the potential to be a good deal. Financially it looked like depreciation at 25%, then 15%, then 15% at that pre covid moment of January 2021. This would be greater than our monthly payments by two or three grand. We Buy Any Car now values the car at ...£16,500 before inspection. The depreciation is almost double our outgoings. But not the point really. How did the car perform? Well, unusual for VW I know, but exactly as promised. A delight to drive. Consistent range of 120/130 in temps above 10 degrees. Quiet, safe and reliable for journeys entirely around our county. The Cali does the heavy lifting of miles away.

Now the lease ends in April, and we hand it back. What to replace with?. The ID3 was good, but the chunky game boy screens were a total turn off. Very impressed by the Kia Niro ev. However, not to be.

We need a vehicle capable of transporting bikes and canoes. The eGolf doesn't do this. ( you can get one bike inside, but not two)

I was very pleased to hear Azteccamper report the Audi 1.4 TFSI is a jolly good motor.
Ours arrives in May. And hands up to being an archetypal baby boomer.

If you disbelieve the Knordkapp Visitor Reception Staff, because that suits your argument, then I have the right to request the same level of proof from you.
I’m prepared to accept that there is a vanishingly small probability that you are right and no EV has been to Nordkapp. All the evidence, other than your dubious claim, suggests otherwise, so I’d not like to quantify that vanishingly small chance, but it is probably about as likely as Elvis being found alive and well and living in Nuneaton.

But you don't have incontrovertible proof either. You're asking us to believe your statement, without any incontrovertible proof to support it, which is by definition, hearsay too:

hearsay:
noun
information received from other people which cannot be substantiated; rumour.

:headbang

I’m prepared to accept that there is a vanishingly small probability that you are right and no EV has been to Nordkapp. All the evidence, other than your dubious claim, suggests otherwise, so I’d not like to quantify that vanishingly small chance, but it is probably about as likely as Elvis being found alive and well and living in Nuneaton.

Good grief!!

You must have been at the Nuneaton Palais at the same time as me :shocked

Ok, getting closer to getting this thread moved to the dreaded section starting with the number 3.

So ... let's get back to the topic ...

IS THERE INCREASING RESISTANCE AGAINST EV'S?

PS: Caps as copied from the title.

They lied to you WG, they lied to you and now you’ve been made to look a fool.

Besides, everyone know’s that the Knordkapp Visitor Center is funded by the Norwegian sovereign oil fund, Exon mobile and big Oil, so it’s in their interest to spread disinformation on EVs.

So ... let's get back to the topic ...

IS THERE INCREASING RESISTANCE AGAINST EV'S?
In principle I do not think I am 'resistant' to the idea of EVs. But I am not going to make the change until:

1. The cost of an EV is less eye-watering.

2. The range can match the mileage which I can currently guarantee from the fuel tank, regardless of temperature.

3. The charging infrastructure can cope, and charging speed means I'm not having enforced breaks of an hour or more in my journey.

4. There is clarity on what happens in (approx) ten years when the batteries reach the end of their life. What environmental damage will their disposal cause and will it be economically viable to replace them? If I carefully maintain a 10 year-old car as a local-daily-drive I know the engine can be kept going for years & years. Working on the premise that the least environmentally damaging vehicle is the one already on the road, I am not yet convinced that current technology can keep EVs going in the same way.

HS2 is not so much about shaving time off the journeys but increased capacity.
So £150 billion gives you increased capacity? Don’t the 40 tonners going up and down the motorways do that anyway.

So £150 billion gives you increased capacity? Don’t the 40 tonners going up and down the motorways do that anyway.

I don’t see the connection.

If HS2 takes the majority of passenger rail traffic, other rail lines can take more freight, and fewer trucks on our motorways.

That is, I think, the theory.

If it is worth the money is another matter on which I’m not qualified to judge, but it does have broad cross party consensus, albeit with some serious misgivings.

I’m impressed with how the Elizabeth line is now working, although there have been some early difficulties.

3.5 million passengers per week and not yet fully operational, and able to expand from 9 carriages to 11, and from 24 trains per hour to a staggering 34 trains per hour.

It looks like it could take an astonishing 7 million passengers a week by the end of the decade.

So Britain can build successful high capacity train lines.

4. There is clarity on what happens in (approx) ten years when the batteries reach the end of their life. What environmental damage will their disposal cause and will it be economically viable to replace them? If I carefully maintain a 10 year-old car as a local-daily-drive I know the engine can be kept going for years & years. Working on the premise that the least environmentally damaging vehicle is the one already on the road, I am not yet convinced that current technology can keep EVs going in the same way.
Most batteries are expected to last 100,000 to 200,000 miles, 15/20 years and are recycled. Obviously range will drop as it gets older (in the same way a car battery drops in performance over time but there is more tech in an EV that conditions the battery to extend the life), any ICE also detoriates over time, one upside of an EV is that there is less to go wrong so service bills will be minimal, mechanically it’s fairly simple.

The rest of the car can then be recycled in the same way as an ICE vehicle. Its a cleaner recycle as you don’t have an oily engine block to deal with, just a clean electric motor, chassis, body, wiring loom, body panels etc.

There is big money in scrap so nothing is wasted.

Yes, we lease an EV so quite possibly biased! but also own a 11 year old Cali. Prior to that our vans were 20 years old upon selling with 160k miles…engines were fine but bodywork starting to suffer…so I think in reality that life of EV is comparable / close to ICE.

What a lot of people miss is is how smooth EV’s are to drive and get blinkered on range anxiety/inaccurate charge times. There is no gear change with instant acceleration, no need to brake, easing off the throttle lows the car.

But that said I love old vans so always likely to own a diesel Cali!

Below photos are 35k of scrap being loaded from Liverpool to the USA, next time you see it will be a new car on a garage forecourt!..

B7C1FB9C-E4B5-4C47-A88E-C5F3EE3553F4.jpeg402FF5AD-3032-4058-A436-84536932C844.jpeg2ABA1FC2-7463-4C7C-9D6C-2C56B18DCFC5.jpegA9B076AC-B670-4942-9010-81046004F36C.jpeg41EE0165-8134-43BF-8D22-91FC0019DA3F.jpeg4A7E7632-D975-4301-8609-D938EB534A7B.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 104476

I think you need to read your previous post.
As I said in my original post, which you decided to ignore or were unable to read, “ as of May 2022 “, but of course that didn’t fit your own agenda.

But you don't have incontrovertible proof either. You're asking us to believe your statement, without any incontrovertible proof to support it, which is by definition, hearsay too:

:headbang
And so. If the Greenwich Guardian gang insist on referring all comments that don’t fit their own agenda as “ Hearsay “ then I think it is utterly reasonable to treat their comments in the same way, as they are unable to offer any factual evidence to the contrary.

As of mid May 2022 the Knordkapp Visitor Reception still displayed the Nos 1 EV visitors commemorative pack.

You can take my statement as “ hearsay “ if you wish but I also have the right to treat your comments similarly.

^ sorry, this might be on the wrong thread.

This is the EV haters thread innit:D
Could admin move to the one where people aren't too fussed.

Long term national prosperity and security is all about infrastructure. Just look at history of the past 100 years. Hammering the tarmac with ever more 40-tonners isn’t sustainable and scaled for the future. The UK should have started this project 30 years ago!

And so. If the Greenwich Guardian gang insist on referring all comments that don’t fit their own agenda as “ Hearsay “ then I think it is utterly reasonable to treat their comments in the same way, as they are unable to offer any factual evidence to the contrary.

As of mid May 2022 the Knordkapp Visitor Reception still displayed the Nos 1 EV visitors commemorative pack.

You can take my statement as “ hearsay “ if you wish but I also have the right to treat your comments similarly.

It is not me with the agenda!

I simply don’t believe that of May 2022 no EV has visited Nordkapp. Yet you stick to your position, “I heard it so it must be true”. That fits YOUR agenda.

Long term national prosperity and security is all about infrastructure. Just look at history of the past 100 years. Hammering the tarmac with ever more 40-tonners isn’t sustainable and scaled for the future. The UK should have started this project 30 years ago!
So (another) rail link North to South makes everything right.
There’s nothing with HS2 we haven’t already got only half an hour quicker. And another £150 billion down the toilet. What we really need is More Doctors, more Nurses and above all More hospitals.

They could’ve built a standard train line for less than half the HS2 cost.
That would answer the capacity issue.
Fewer people are using the trains post covid. There’s a strong argument this project needs to be scrapped or at least re-thought considering the mind boggling numbers involved in building HS2.

Let’s be honest, in a country a small as ours, we don’t need faster trains, we just need clean, reliable, regular and a well maintained.

Back