Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there increasing resistance against EV’s?

It certainly is because of Russia. But it was already a big challenge to substitute traditional power generation sources with green ones, now adding more EVs and receiving less gas from Russia may put some prospective EV buyers at least temporarily on hold..

Power generation in the UK peaked in 2006 and has dropped 39% since then even as EVs have become increasingly more popular.

Power generation might have to rise once more as we wean ourselves off petrol and diesel, but there is plenty more wind generation in the pipeline.

Is that because of EVs, or a reduction of gas supplies from Russia to Europe?

I suggest the latter.

Do you know how much extra power generation Europe will be getting from wind and solar over the next few years?

Already coal powet plants are routinely switched off and only used at times of peak demand. It won’t be too long before gas power plants are also routinely switched off and only used at times of low wind or peak demand.
Well lets hope you're right. I wish I could be as optimistic.

The big problem with going all electric is that when supply is interrupted, team UK will be completely stuffed.

And how many billions would the trunk road electrification cost! Electrification of the London to Bristol train line has been eye-watering and that is just one route!!

Many billions, and possibly take a generation or longer to complete. But probably cheaper and quicker than the conversion of the motorway network to smart motorways.

Many billions, and possibly take a generation or longer to complete. But probably cheaper and quicker than the conversion of the motorway network to smart motorways.
I doubt it.

The big problem with going all electric is that when supply is interrupted, team UK will be completely stuffed.
In the mean time China and India are building hundreds of coal fired plants and is Germany not bringing back online it's coal stations. The increase in emissions from China alone last year dwarfs any emission reduction the UK manages.

All it would take is the electrification of Britain’s trunk road network, and EVs over 4m high fitted with a pantograph. Batteries could power the final few miles from trunk road to depot.
From HSE the existing clearance height for bridges etc is 5.03 metres fitting electrical system would reduce this significantly or most flyovers would have to be raised to compensate, including rail bridges. HGV's are normally up to 4.02 metres in height.
Seems a non starter.

The standard minimum clearance over every part of the carriageway of a public road is 16 feet 6 inches (5.03 metres). When the clearance over any part is less than this, standard warning signs both on and prior to the structure should be provided. The stated clearance should be at least 75mm less than the measured height.

From HSE the existing clearance height for bridges etc is 5.03 metres fitting electrical system would reduce this significantly or most flyovers would have to be raised to compensate, including rail bridges. HGV's are normally up to 4.02 metres in height.
Seems a non starter.

The standard minimum clearance over every part of the carriageway of a public road is 16 feet 6 inches (5.03 metres). When the clearance over any part is less than this, standard warning signs both on and prior to the structure should be provided. The stated clearance should be at least 75mm less than the measured height.

Electrification would not need to be continuous. So long as trucks have a battery sufficient for a range of about 20 miles for travel away from the trunk network, the gap in electrification under a bridge or through a tunnel would be nothing.

Probably why our friends in China are currently building dozens of new coal fired power stations !!!!! :-(

Probably why our friends in China are currently building dozens of new coal fired power stations !!!!! :-(

I don’t understand this fixation on China as a guide to how we decarbonise in this country.

Britain was the first country to industrialise, there’s nothing wrong is being one of the first to decarbonise.

I don’t understand this fixation on China as a guide to how we decarbonise in this country.

Britain was the first country to industrialise, there’s nothing wrong is being one of the first to decarbonise.

It’s a bit asbestos.
We know it’s bad for us and banned it, China still use it…

China also has the most GW’s of installed solar and wind power of any other country… by far. It’s a big place.

God, I can't wait for the spring to arrive and folk start holidaying in their vans again. I'm sick of all these electric car debates on a Cali forum. Can't they be shunted off somewhere else? Like to an EV or Dailly Mail forum?

China also has the most GW’s of installed solar and wind power of any other country… by far. It’s a big place.

It also has the worlds largest hydroelectric plant. The Three Gorges Dam. I was lucky enough to travel from Chongqing to Wuhan on a local passenger ferry through the Three Gorges before they were flooded. 1995 I think.

My enduring memory, however, is not of the Three Gorges, but the bodies bloated like the Michelin Man floating face downward in the Yangtze, ignored by the passing river traffic. Some hapless fishermen I suppose.

It also has the worlds largest hydroelectric plant. The Three Gorges Dam. I was lucky enough to travel from Chongqing to Wuhan on a local passenger ferry through the Three Gorges before they were flooded. 1995 I think.

My enduring memory, however, is not of the Three Gorges, but the bodies bloated like the Michelin Man floating face downward in the Yangtze, ignored by the passing river traffic. Some hapless fishermen I suppose.
Massively negative environmental and humanitarian cost building that dam though.

I did a trip in the other direction to you Tom (Shanghai to Chogqing) after the dam was built and the gorges had flooded. No floating bodies i’m pleased to say, but a fair bit of plastic waste in the Yangtze.
Going through the flight of giant locks in the dam was quite an experience.

Well all I know is that I fill up my diesel Volvo every 2 to 3 weeks and the BMW every 3months. On the plus side my storage battery has pushed 1250kWh to the house in the 3.5months and summer is coming. So I will have electric coming out of my ears.

Massively negative environmental and humanitarian cost building that dam though.

I did a trip in the other direction to you Tom (Shanghai to Chogqing) after the dam was built and the gorges had flooded. No floating bodies i’m pleased to say, but a fair bit of plastic waste in the Yangtze.
Going through the flight of giant locks in the dam was quite an experience.

It’s probably harder to spot the bodies now the river has expanded from a couple of hundred metres wide to an average of 1.4km.

We passed all the abandoned cities as we meandered down the river. It is quite astonishing how communism drive over a million people from their homes for the greater good.

In Chinese terms, the Dam only just passed the vote of National People’s Congress. Nearly 200 brave souls voted against while a record breaking 664 abstained. It passed by 68%. Between 99 and 100% is more usual for this sort of vote.

All it would take is the electrification of Britain’s trunk road network, and EVs over 4m high fitted with a pantograph. Batteries could power the final few miles from trunk road to depot.
Trial under way in Germany. They suggest that electrifying one third of the highway network (not clear exactly how you'd map that across to a UK equivalent) would remove two-thirds of emissions.

Dumb question, what about the carriages?
the track guage is the same. probably different traction current/voltages.
i tried to go 2.9 miles up the road by bus last saturday night and gave up.one routes been scrapped and the only way was a 1 mile hike at either end. i was going for beers so an EV wouldn't work

Last edited:
Trial under way in Germany. They suggest that electrifying one third of the highway network (not clear exactly how you'd map that across to a UK equivalent) would remove two-thirds of emissions.

~250,000 miles of road UK
~32,000 miles of major road
- of which ~6,000 miles are trunk
2,300 miles of motorway

Total ~8,300 miles of trunk road

Last edited:
Electrification would not need to be continuous. So long as trucks have a battery sufficient for a range of about 20 miles for travel away from the trunk network, the gap in electrification under a bridge or through a tunnel would be nothing.
you would somehow need to 'auto drop' the pantograph and 'auto rise' it back in the next section at 56mph at every bridge. a disaster witing to happen with live or part damaged cables hanging over roads, the wires would need some sort of protection from idiots throwing stuff over them too (germany seems to have a lot less idiots than we do). this is done on the railway with dead sections but the wires run continuous and the pan stays up. the cost would be massive when they apparently can't afford to electrify the railway between leeds and sheffield or fix a pot hole.
it would be great to keep the trucks on the inside lane only though

Back