Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the wife right about Xenon lights?

GrannyJen said:
Good job that I bought them then :D

Saves me a fortune in carrots....

Oh I don't know, £1000 buys a lot of carrots :laugh2

I have to say that the 'roof-repair loan Cali' has xenons and, out here in the dark country side of Wiltshire, they are a revolation over the the standard lights. Would definitely specify them if buying again and if still living out in the sticks.

Simon

AlanC said:
GrannyJen said:
Good job that I bought them then :D

Saves me a fortune in carrots....

Oh I don't know, £1000 buys a lot of carrots :laugh2

I had xenons on the X3 that I part-exed for, and Albert came complete with them so never really considered it, interesting to read the pro's and con's.

A couple of comments.
If you buy the wheels with Xenons they will be self levelling so you never need worry about dazzling any one. Some of the upgrades may not do this - this a controversial area within the Vehicle (Construction and Use) Regulations - unlevelled Xenons an MOT failure - this is untested but may change.

Second Euro settings. This is again controversial. Some on this forum state that the lights are set flat so need no adjustment for Europe. I am less sure given I have lots of VAG products in the vehicle stable. With standard halogens you just fit the external lens shrouds with stickers and its done.

I declined Xenons on my van for that reason. I did not want a trip to the dealer each time I crossed the water. I did upgrade my bulbs though…not been out in the dark yet to fully test them though!

Something to think about...

Bearonwheels said:
A couple of comments.
If you buy the wheels with Xenons they will be self levelling so you never need worry about dazzling any one. Some of the upgrades may not do this - this a controversial area within the Vehicle (Construction and Use) Regulations - unlevelled Xenons an MOT failure - this is untested but may change.

Second Euro settings. This is again controversial. Some on this forum state that the lights are set flat so need no adjustment for Europe. I am less sure given I have lots of VAG products in the vehicle stable. With standard halogens you just fit the external lens shrouds with stickers and its done.

I declined Xenons on my van for that reason. I did not want a trip to the dealer each time I crossed the water. I did upgrade my bulbs though…not been out in the dark yet to fully test them though!

Something to think about...

My understanding was that the Cali lights can be set with a "travel mode", a pre-programme set by VAG, that keeps the beams flat without a kick to either right or left and therefore suitable for both sides of the channel.

Xenons look like they'll be great to drive by. I've never experienced them as a driver. I have though had lots of experience being dazzled by them! Which is dangerous and unpleasant. So I tend to dislike them intensely! I've been told by someone who knows about these things (my son) that this occurs when the Xenons haven't been set up correctly. I hope this is an mot fail?

Always willing to put my two penny worth in on this subject.

I have them on my own vehicles, and would never have a vehicle without them now. They are excellent on the t5 as well. We have opted for half of our 2015 Cali's wih Xenons as we are constantly being asked for them on our used vehicles, and they do command a premium, in our experience.

Ref going abroad, they don't need adjusting, and I've never been flashed in any of my many trips abroad.

Do it you won't regret it, but at the end of the day it's your vehicle and money. If you want to come down at some point Id be happy to let you try a vehicle in the dark with and without Xenons - the difference is substantial.

HTH :thumb

Yes, non leveling Xenons are now an MOT fail. They should drop down to reset the level every time they are switched on. The other fail now is headlight washers if they are fitted and don't work, as I found to my cost.

On the Saab I have to spend about an hour cutting my hands to pieces finding a silly little lever buried deep in the back of the headlight to drop the kick-up to flat when we drive abroad. At least using the computer is easier and the setting can be left like that in the UK.

The headlight protectors with the sticker work very well, but are only available for the Halogen lights.

Alan

Yes, your wife is right about the Xenons lights, all this talk of being able to see better won't count for "diddly squat" the first time they go wrong, you'll have to come up with your own reasons and pretty sharpish, the arms will be folded and you will get "that" look with her head slightly bowed.
Remember your wife will also have the option of a retaliatory shopping spree at her venue of choice so they may actually cost you a lot more. :laugh2

Have to say that in 5 years of xenon use I've had no trouble with them, that's on my Skoda.
It sounds like a bit of scare mongering about them failing, if you're ordering new it'll be covered by warranty any.

I had them for 5 years on my 330 BMW, 18 months on my X3 and 15 months on my Cali and had no problems with them failing or anything else.

I have also had headlamps go off for no apparent reason..

In fact whatever happened to them I was left completely in the dark....

Ok Ok ... it's late ... sorry :sad

Xenons every time. They look great - very safe and undoubtably you will have more friends :). I know I did :)

Bulb upgrades good idea - miss the point of what Xenons are and do.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love them but at £1230 I'll just eat more carrots.

larrylamb said:
I would love them but at £1230 I'll just eat more carrots.

Have you seen the price of carrots recently? :eek:

Lord Woolton would turn over in his compost heap if he could see the prices.

I suspect that many Cali's with Xenons were either demonstrators or dealer stock that already had them fitted and nowhere near the list price was paid for them. I would have specified climatronic and rear heater in preference.

My Beach had Xenons, Double glazing, Cruise control & Thunders as the dealer ordered them on his demonstrator. They struggled to sell it as it had no privacy glass which most consider essential; so I got a bargain and got the windows film tinted for £250. :bananadance :bananadance

Notwithstanding that, they are brilliant (pun intended) and I've been really impressed. They are especially good out here in NZ where roads are not so well lit.

Oh and by the way, the polycarbonate headlight protector work fine on Xenons despite what you may read on here. I've had them fitted for 15 months with no problems.

Regarding getting dazzled by Xenons, I suspect they may be aftermarket halogen bulbs which seem to everywhere and far more affordable than Xenons. Xenon bulbs were over £100 plus last time I checked and I suspect you have to have a complete new fitting rather than just a bulb.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/V...0891047bb20283ed1dab8775a21f88f0580f54&000384

Andy

With regard to whether or not the Xenons on the Cali need adjusting for Europe…
I have a Skoda that has an adjustment to 'travel mode' that switches the Xenons from one side to another for mainland Europe. That works fine - I drove practically from one end of Europe to another last summer with no issues on that score. You could see the light pattern switch from one side to another and I was happy to drive at night as a result.

If the lights are set 'flat' so no adjustment is needed thats a different matter. When you buy or hire a vehicle (in the UK) as the driver YOU are responsible for ensuring it complies with current legislation - no liability WHATSOEVER attaches to the manufacturer. I suspect the same applies elsewhere on Europe. So if your lights need adjusting, relying on a manufacturers claim that the lights are flat and need no adjustment is not a defence you can rely on. Many a van hirer has been caught out by this when using less respected operators than those listed here, even if there was no way they could have detected the vehicle fault.

Read what it says in the manual - it is your responsibility to ensure your lights comply with the law - wherever you are and NOT the manufacturers. So if you are happy to take the risk, albeit a small one, fine. I wasn't - I stuck with the halogens and upgraded the bulbs. I use my van to go on holiday and relax, not worry about things like this. Keep it simples - less stress, less worry, more fun!

Yes. I am totally stress free. Three trips to France now and no one getting cross with me. I feel quite saintly in fact

snowy55 said:
Yes, your wife is right about the Xenons lights, all this talk of being able to see better won't count for "diddly squat" the first time they go wrong, you'll have to come up with your own reasons and pretty sharpish, the arms will be folded and you will get "that" look with her head slightly bowed.
Remember your wife will also have the option of a retaliatory shopping spree at her venue of choice so they may actually cost you a lot more. :laugh2

When did you meet my wife.. :p ....your description is uncanny. I am still undecided if I am honest. We don't have HD TV and we can still watch a good quality picture..its a bit of 'you don't miss what you don't have' I suppose.

What's that my darling....you want a cup of tea...of course, and would you like a chocolate hobknob too. ;)

Cheers

Ian

Bearonwheels said:
I have a Skoda that has an adjustment to 'travel mode' that switches the Xenons from one side to another for mainland Europe. That works fine - I drove practically from one end of Europe to another last summer with no issues on that score. You could see the light pattern switch from one side to another and I was happy to drive at night as a result.

If the lights are set 'flat' so no adjustment is needed thats a different matter. When you buy or hire a vehicle (in the UK) as the driver YOU are responsible for ensuring it complies with current legislation - no liability WHATSOEVER attaches to the manufacturer. I suspect the same applies elsewhere on Europe. So if your lights need adjusting, relying on a manufacturers claim that the lights are flat and need no adjustment is not a defence you can rely on. Many a van hirer has been caught out by this when using less respected operators than those listed here, even if there was no way they could have detected the vehicle fault.

Read what it says in the manual - it is your responsibility to ensure your lights comply with the law - wherever you are and NOT the manufacturers. So if you are happy to take the risk, albeit a small one, fine. I wasn't - I stuck with the halogens and upgraded the bulbs. I use my van to go on holiday and relax, not worry about things like this. Keep it simples - less stress, less worry, more fun!

Good sound advice...thanks

Bearonwheels said:

Or just look at your non xenon lights and see if they have stickers on or not ;)

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Always willing to put my two penny worth in on this subject.

I have them on my own vehicles, and would never have a vehicle without them now. They are excellent on the t5 as well. We have opted for half of our 2015 Cali's wih Xenons as we are constantly being asked for them on our used vehicles, and they do command a premium, in our experience.

Ref going abroad, they don't need adjusting, and I've never been flashed in any of my many trips abroad.

Totally agree ,great option would not want them without

Bearonwheels said:
When you buy or hire a vehicle (in the UK) as the driver YOU are responsible for ensuring it complies with current legislation - no liability WHATSOEVER attaches to the manufacturer. I suspect the same applies elsewhere on Europe. So if your lights need adjusting, relying on a manufacturers claim that the lights are flat and need no adjustment is not a defence you can rely on. Many a van hirer has been caught out by this when using less respected operators than those listed here, even if there was no way they could have detected the vehicle fault.

Its good that you point this out. We fully prepare all our european hire vehicles, and make sure they are 100% correct and comply with all laws. We are in the fortunate position that we also run a 7 bay workshop and MOT centre, so we can actually check the lights - hence how we know that Xenons are set flat from the factory :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Bearonwheels said:
When you buy or hire a vehicle (in the UK) as the driver YOU are responsible for ensuring it complies with current legislation - no liability WHATSOEVER attaches to the manufacturer. I suspect the same applies elsewhere on Europe. So if your lights need adjusting, relying on a manufacturers claim that the lights are flat and need no adjustment is not a defence you can rely on. Many a van hirer has been caught out by this when using less respected operators than those listed here, even if there was no way they could have detected the vehicle fault.

Its good that you point this out. We fully prepare all our european hire vehicles, and make sure they are 100% correct and comply with all laws. We are in the fortunate position that we also run a 7 bay workshop and MOT centre, so we can actually check the lights - hence how we know that Xenons are set flat from the factory :thumb

Hi Oli

I am the origin of this topic and I just wanted to thank you for your good advice. You clearly know what you are talking about and your input has been invaluable

Best

Ian

Back