Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Irish and Scotish road-trip - sept. 2018

korben

korben

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone,

this year for our 3rd road-trip we've plan to visit Ireland and Scotland (and a bit England but we only go trough to get the shuttle, for this time), we have 30 days to discover what this part of Europe has to show :)

Here is our approximative road:

Trajet-Irlande.jpg

Trajet-Ecosse.jpg

We are interested by nature and outdoor activities and we would appreciate any tips/good plans/locations for:
  • mountain bike
  • equestrian riding
  • windsurf (with rental possibilities)
  • marine and terrestrial wildlife (sea tour, parc, ...)
  • alternative roads
  • celtic music
  • anything else ?
:thanks in advance for your advices:thanks

I would recommend the Causeway Coast / Antrim Coast Road, and the Mourne Coastal Roads in Northern Ireland. Some great MTBing in Rostrevor and Castlewellan also, and great hiking along the Mourne Wall.

I live in Belfast, so if you need any local info, feel free to get in touch.

You probably realise that's a big trip, even with 30 days (does that include transits to/from Geneva?).

I can't offer anything about Ireland (in fact will be watching this thread with interest, for a possible trip ourselves in Ireland next year) but for Scotland your route looks a good one.

Be careful not to plan for too-fast touring speeds in west of Scotland or you will miss a lot there, and also you won't have time for many of your activities you want to do along the way.

In Scotland, the drive down the east/central Highlands is going to be somewhat less interesting than the west coast which is where I suggest you budget the most of your available time. But it would be a shame to miss the Cairngorms, which you won't see much of if you just head down the A9 fast road from Aviemore. A much more lovely way is to go further across to the east to get onto the 'Snow Roads' route (https://visitcairngorms.com/snowroads).

And, as you said you're interested in marine life, the best dolphin watching spots are on the Moray Firth, particularly at Chanonry Point near Inverness but also at the Scottish Dolphin Centre at Fochabers. If you went that way from Inverness you could then head across from there through Speyside (whisky country!) and pick up the Snow Roads route from there.

Going into the eastern Carngorm in that way would add a bit to your overall route of course. So if you wanted to save some time/distance elsewhere, here's a radical suggestion. After seeing lovely Loch Eriboll on the north coast, instead of continuing along the fairly flat section of coast all the way around by John O'Groats, turn inland at Tongue and take the very small road through beautiful wilderness via Altnaharra and Lairg, meeting the east coast again near Golspie. Not many people do that as they want to say they've 'done' the whole coast road. But IMO the long stretch around Thurso and Wick is going to seem a bit dull after the spectacle of the west coast. Just my view, others will differ!

Enjoy your planning and hopefully you'll get lots of good advice here.

I just looked again in more detail at your planned route and noticed that north from Skye your route just follows the main road, which is mainly inland. Note that if you just stick on that road you will miss the most spectacular sections of coastline - especially the Applecross, Wester Ross and Assynt peninsulas. That would be a tragedy!

You can play it by ear a bit when you get there, but I'd allow plenty of spare time during that part of the trip to drive up into and around those coastal areas. As just one example, the Pass of the Cattle road to Applecross is not to be missed.

Hi,

thanks alot for all your recommendations :thumb:thumb:thumb!

@Jonathan Duke:
maybe a question about the ferry to Cairnryan, do we need to book it early or can we just come and take the next one ?

@Velma's Dad:
yes we do realise that's a big trip, but don't worry, we always plan too much things and we adjust along the way ;). In fact we love to move every day so maybe it's gonna make it. I appreciate your advice concerning the last part of the coast road, doing the whole road like you said is not an imperative for us so we'll probably take your shortcut suggestion :thumb. And yes we'll go to the Carngorm of course, the snow road seems to be a good way do that ! For Skye (and the rest of the road), it's just a rough path to show the regions we want to go, be sure that we'll not miss an occasion to leave the main roads :happy

@dayslikethis:
Doolin was already noted haha :thumb for the Aran Islands, we thought to visit Inishmore, do you think Innisheer would be better ?

We also wondering to go in the outer hebrides, our guide don't say anything particular about them but it's look likes very nice place (on google earth at least :D). So is it worth it ?

:thanks

We also wondering to go in the outer hebrides, our guide don't say anything particular about them but it's look likes very nice place (on google earth at least :D). So is it worth it ?

The Outer Hebrides are very special - they offer a fascinating glimpse of one of Europe's outer fringes. If you do decide you can fit that in but have limited time, I'd suggest seeing south Harris and if possible the north coast of Lewis.

Depending on which end of September you are travelling, you would probably need to book ahead for the ferries to/from the Hebrides.

@Jonathan Duke:
maybe a question about the ferry to Cairnryan, do we need to book it early or can we just come and take the next one ?

You can save maybe 10-20% by booking in-advance, but you can also just turn-up and catch the next sailing. You’d be very unlucky for there to be no space on the next crossing. You can also book a flexi-fare. I normally book via aFerry.co.uk - They charge a £10 fee to amend the booking once made, if your plans change.

Hi,

thanks alot for all your recommendations :thumb:thumb:thumb!

@Jonathan Duke:

@Velma's Dad:
yes we do realise that's a big trip, but don't worry, we always plan too much things and we adjust along the way ;). In fact we love to move every day so maybe it's gonna make it. I appreciate your advice concerning the last part of the coast road, doing the whole road like you said is not an imperative for us so we'll probably take your shortcut suggestion :thumb. And yes we'll go to the Carngorm of course, the snow road seems to be a good way do that ! For Skye (and the rest of the road), it's just a rough path to show the regions we want to go, be sure that we'll not miss an occasion to leave the main roads :happy

@dayslikethis:
Doolin was already noted haha :thumb for the Aran Islands, we thought to visit Inishmore, do you think Innisheer would be better ?

:thanks
Re Doolin - I'd recommend Riverside Camping in the village (and nearest to 3 pubs). There is another site near the pier but our preference was Riverside. Re Inishmore, I'm sure that's also stunning - we just never got there. Innisheer has the amazing rusty shipwreck from Father Ted by the way.

You probably realise that's a big trip, even with 30 days (does that include transits to/from Geneva?).

I can't offer anything about Ireland (in fact will be watching this thread with interest, for a possible trip ourselves in Ireland next year) but for Scotland your route looks a good one.

Be careful not to plan for too-fast touring speeds in west of Scotland or you will miss a lot there, and also you won't have time for many of your activities you want to do along the way.

In Scotland, the drive down the east/central Highlands is going to be somewhat less interesting than the west coast which is where I suggest you budget the most of your available time. But it would be a shame to miss the Cairngorms, which you won't see much of if you just head down the A9 fast road from Aviemore. A much more lovely way is to go further across to the east to get onto the 'Snow Roads' route (https://visitcairngorms.com/snowroads).

And, as you said you're interested in marine life, the best dolphin watching spots are on the Moray Firth, particularly at Chanonry Point near Inverness but also at the Scottish Dolphin Centre at Fochabers. If you went that way from Inverness you could then head across from there through Speyside (whisky country!) and pick up the Snow Roads route from there.

Going into the eastern Carngorm in that way would add a bit to your overall route of course. So if you wanted to save some time/distance elsewhere, here's a radical suggestion. After seeing lovely Loch Eriboll on the north coast, instead of continuing along the fairly flat section of coast all the way around by John O'Groats, turn inland at Tongue and take the very small road through beautiful wilderness via Altnaharra and Lairg, meeting the east coast again near Golspie. Not many people do that as they want to say they've 'done' the whole coast road. But IMO the long stretch around Thurso and Wick is going to seem a bit dull after the spectacle of the west coast. Just my view, others will differ!

Enjoy your planning and hopefully you'll get lots of good advice here.

Agreed, great wee camp site Strathnaver looking at Ben Klibreck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

this year for our 3rd road-trip we've plan to visit Ireland and Scotland (and a bit England but we only go trough to get the shuttle, for this time), we have 30 days to discover what this part of Europe has to show :)

Here is our approximative road:

Trajet-Irlande.jpg

Trajet-Ecosse.jpg

We are interested by nature and outdoor activities and we would appreciate any tips/good plans/locations for:
  • mountain bike
  • equestrian riding
  • windsurf (with rental possibilities)
  • marine and terrestrial wildlife (sea tour, parc, ...)
  • alternative roads
  • celtic music
  • anything else ?
:thanks in advance for your advices:thanks

As others have implied you’ll need at least 30 days for Ireland alone, we only got half Wild Atlantic Way done in a fortnight. On west coast Scotland you probably need 3 months haha, maybe head Skye and north west coast (stick rigidly to coast as you avoid some idiot racers and large vehicles on NC500 route) then cut cross country after Tongue, that will give you a good sample and allow 2 weeks for that Scottish section alone. Hire a guide for a day for Skye Cuillin, try sea kayak with guide, loads mountain biking tracks, GB and Parks offline map app is best for them as easy to head up the wrong glen ;) you need map and compass knowledge for the hills any time of year. I stay Inverness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Kaf2546,

yes it's true 3 month would be better haha, we would love to have that time !

Thank's for your suggestions, we've just add it to the map ;)