Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

International driving licence post Brexit

greenfintry

greenfintry

Cometh the van cometh the hour
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Not sure if this has been discussed but the search does not reveal it... Seemingly one consequence of a hard Brexit is that the UK driving licence will not be recognised ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD! This is because UK Never signed a UN accord in the late 60’s or early 70’s and our international licence came about through the EU legislation recognising member states etc. If we crash out, there is no agreement seemingly to allow Brits either to rent or drive vehicles anywhere either in Europe, USA or Oz etc. I guess the NC500 will get pretty busy, but not keen on being landlocked..... anyone else clocked this?:(

Jonathan Duke

Jonathan Duke

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
"Project Fear," alive and well I see. :headbang

If the NC500 too busy, there's always the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland..... Common travel area between UK-IRE, will keep you right. :thumb

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Not sure if this has been discussed but the search does not reveal it... Seemingly one consequence of a hard Brexit is that the UK driving licence will not be recognised ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD! This is because UK Never signed a UN accord in the late 60’s or early 70’s and our international licence came about through the EU legislation recognising member states etc. If we crash out, there is no agreement seemingly to allow Brits either to rent or drive vehicles anywhere either in Europe, USA or Oz etc. I guess the NC500 will get pretty busy, but not keen on being landlocked..... anyone else clocked this?:(
So I presume if they don't recognise ours we won't be recognising their's. Hooray, no foreign trucks.
Not going to happen.

Max-Felix

Max-Felix

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!
ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!
A-N-Y-W-H-E-R-E I-N T-H-E W-O-R-L-D!!!

Brexit!?!?! Driving Licenses?!?! Brits never allowed to drive anywhere, ever, again...

:eek::eek::eek::Nailbiting:Nailbiting:Nailbiting:shocked:shocked:shocked

maxresdefault.jpg

Or maybe just like everything else before or (if we ever do) after 'Brexit' it will be 99% the same...

:rolleyes:;)

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
For those younger than me. There was a time, I know it may be hard to believe, when the U.K. was a sovereign nation prior to joining the Common Market, as it was then called back in the 1970’s, and I don’t recall any problems driving off the ferry in Calais and down through France.

Jonathan Duke

Jonathan Duke

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

^ =
0000050_toy-hand-grenade.jpg

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
For those younger than me. There was a time, I know it may be hard to believe, when the U.K. was a sovereign nation prior to joining the Common Market, as it was then called back in the 1970’s, and I don’t recall any problems driving off the ferry in Calais and down through France.
My mum and dad had a separate international drivers' licence, but that was probably due to our living in Germany rather than a holiday essential.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
greenfintry

greenfintry

Cometh the van cometh the hour
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Seemingly those international licences were rendered invalid by UK not signing the UN treaty, and it was not an issue due to joining the Common Market at that time....

Digger

Digger

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Sunday must be a day of reflection or boredom. :headbang

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Seemingly those international licences were rendered invalid by UK not signing the UN treaty, and it was not an issue due to joining the Common Market at that time....
And the written evidence?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I seem to recall border checks being more thorough, taking pets overseas was troublesome, duty free on return was limited to 9(?) litres of wine or 6(?) litres of fortified wine. Beer limited.

My mum and dad had a separate international drivers' licence, but that was probably due to our living in Germany rather than a holiday essential.

We are referring to Driving Licences - Nothing else.:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We are referring to Driving Licences - Nothing else.:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang
And I pointed out that my parents required a second licence living in Germany - though on reflection they may have had German licences rather than international licences (or possibly UK, German and international).

I will edit out the other differences in deference to you.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
And I pointed out that my parents required a second licence living in Germany - though on reflection they may have had German licences rather than international licences (or possibly UK, German and international).

I will edit out the other differences in deference to you.

The majority of countries outside the EU, excluding Norway and Switzerland, require an IDP, International Driving Permit + a Valid Current UK Driving Liscence. That will not change after 2019. At worse might require the same for the EU and I’m sure that would be reciprocated as it is for the rest of the Non EU countries at present.

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
will not sleep tonight now

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The majority of countries outside the EU, excluding Norway and Switzerland, require an IDP, International Driving Permit + a Valid Current UK Driving Liscence. That will not change after 2019. At worse might require the same for the EU and I’m sure that would be reciprocated as it is for the rest of the Non EU countries at present.

If you need an IDP for travel, plan ahead as it's actually not so easy to get hold of one in the UK these days. Only some post offices now offer them and, as I found last year when I needed one at short notice, even the POs that say they do them, don't. You can apply for one by post from the AA but even their priority service takes a week.

Fortunately a lot of the countries that theoretically require an IDP actually don't in practice although you probably won't want to chance it if your plans depend on being able to rent a car.

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I had one in Thailand from the aa as velm as dad sez. can't imagine after Brexit I will be banned from hiring a moped in Thailand? I do believe life existed somewhat normally before the eu

CooperSmith

CooperSmith

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
It’s an interesting subject on how our European adventures are going to be affecting. One thing is sure, and that’s it’s going to make things more complicated and difficult with insurance, travel visa’s, medical cover, customs etc. All for what?....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bellcrew

Bellcrew

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
It’s an interesting subject on how our European adventures are going to be affecting. One thing is sure, and that’s it’s going to make things more complicated and difficult with insurance, travel visa’s, medical cover, customs etc. All for what?....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And yet our American/old Commonwealth cousins come over in their hundreds of thousands every year without any problems or visas.

VW California Club