Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Installing Garmin BC 30 reversing camera

E

ENZED1

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have a Garmin SatNav and want to fit a Garmin BC 30 reversing camera to our 2017 VW California Ocean, preferably above the rear window. However, I am reluctant to drill holes in the body work (to connect the camera to the reversing light and the bluetooth box - that links to the Garmin Satnav) without knowing whether this option is viable or not. Additionally, the mechanic at my local garage suggested that there may be insulation in the roof area precluding this option.

Has anyone fitted a bluetooth reversing camera to their VW van? If so, your advice on how you installed it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

The easiest way to get a reverse feed and dc power is at the rear tailgate. This will however mean removing the lower plastic tailgate trim. There are many articles on here about how to go about this.

I have done this myself for a VW OEM reverse camera - hole cut in to tailgate above the number plate.

I have also installed a rear view 'dashcam' camera. This is fitted to the inside lower edge of the rear window, and provides an adequate image. I used an adhesive bracket rather than use one of those suction cup mounts.

If you are intent on installing the camera on the outside, but do not want any holes in the bodywork, then I'd suggest making a bracket that uses the awning mounting bracket positions. Positioning the camera at the very rear ward end of the awning rail.

Alan,

Thank you. I am happy to drill a hole in the bodywork, just not sure where is the best place on the back to do so. The option you used for the VW OEM camera sounds a good solution though I would have preferred the camera higher.

Appreciate your advice.

Gordon

The reason I went for this position for the rear dashcam was because I have the VW bike rack. If the rear dashcam camera is high then it might be obscured by bicycles.

Also is not that obvious from outside, and will catch anyone fiddling with bikes etc. This has already happened.

Also remember that the standard VW California rear view camera is installed just above the rear number plate. Works perfectly here.

I had a BC 40 fitted just above the number plate. It was battery powered so no wires needed.
The wide angle gives you all the view you need , in my opinion having it higher would not make much difference to the field of view.

Last edited:
I had a BC 40 fitted just above the number plate. It was battery powered so no wires needed.
The wide angle gives you all the view you need , in my opinion having it higher would not make much difference to the field of view.
So do you view through your Headunit or a separate screen on the dash?

We are looking changing our Headunit soon to have wireless carplay, and interested in having a camera on the numberplate fitted at the same time.

Some headunits have Garmin Satnav so in theory you could view on the headunit if they are compatible.

So do you view through your Headunit or a separate screen on the dash?

We are looking changing our Headunit soon to have wireless carplay, and interested in having a camera on the numberplate fitted at the same time.

Some headunits have Garmin Satnav so in theory you could view on the headunit if they are compatible.
It displays via the Sat Nav . Separate to my head unit . I believe the camera connects via WiFi so I would check the compatibility with Garmin, I have found them helpful via chat and email.

Back