Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Innie or Outie??

MeltedGoldfish

MeltedGoldfish

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Lots of great advice in this section on different makes and models of front windscreen covers, but wondering what the consensus of opinion is on inside vs outside?

Looking to replace the fiddly-to-fit standard fabric screen (SE) and thinking an external one would be quicker to fit and avoid any suction cup marks etc. But then it could be a pain to store when wet, and having to dry it out when we get home (which was a big factor in upgrading from a tent in the first place!) and the associated probability of then forgetting it on the next trip!

Any thoughts welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The external thermal screen is the most effective in terms of keeping the sun away from the windshield and keeping the cali cooler in the summer , also more effective in cold avoiding frozen window and less condensation on the inside .
Also the best way to make it fully dark .
Bulky and needs drying , yes , but lots of stuf needs drying returning from a wet trip , roof canvas and wind-out awning the most important
I store the external screen (as many do) in a campingseat in the boothdoor.

The lighter fabric inner screens with the poles are indeed fidly i think , i got the roller blinds build in the a-pilars and very happy with them for stealth camping and a quick black out .
The inner side window screens are the foldable ones (not the magnets ones) and also happy with those.

Lots of great advice in this section on different makes and models of front windscreen covers, but wondering what the consensus of opinion is on inside vs outside?

Looking to replace the fiddly-to-fit standard fabric screen (SE) and thinking an external one would be quicker to fit and avoid any suction cup marks etc. But then it could be a pain to store when wet, and having to dry it out when we get home (which was a big factor in upgrading from a tent in the first place!) and the associated probability of then forgetting it on the next trip!

Any thoughts welcome!

We have a very thin silvered screen with magnets sewn in to act as a reflector in direct sunlight.
Unless overlooked or we want privacy we then use the supplied blinds which in my SE are weighted curtain that hangs from the sun shades in the cabin or magnetic for the side windows, but frequently we don’t bother with anything on the windscreen.

Plus one for outie for the reasons that MeltedGoldfish says

I have the internal brandrup ‘extreme’ (I think that’s the name) silver on one side, Cali grey cotton on the other. Has an extra flap over the dash vents to create an in between temperature between the cab and the screen. It’s a bit of a struggle to fit (Velcro) but does a good job, stays dry and can be removed in a rush if stealth camping and you find yourself in a dangerous situation (never happened, probably won’t, but one upside of the innies!). Comes with the side windows too. Creates a comfy feel in the cab.

Had an inside one for years it’s does the job well no drying needed and rolls up neat on the rear shelf but the screen can get condensation on it in cold weather

Have both, but prefer the standard internal material ones to be honest. Like to be able to peek out and be nosey.

We use the ones from the SE with magnetic sides and the front one that goes over the sun visors. Still use these in the new Ocean as find the pull out front blinds in the Ocean a bit useless.

Last edited:
I use the external Brandrup for the screen and the VW standard cloth ones for the doors. The Brandrup is great as a blackout and stops any condensation on the screen but it’s a silly price for what it is and the tin foil material delaminate. It’s pretty compact when folded and stows away nicely.

Just adding that the external screen i use comes from the clubshop and i have it now about 5y and does not show big signs of wear or delamimating .The accecoires from Campervanbits do the job and are good quality imo.

Had an inside one for years it’s does the job well no drying needed and rolls up neat on the rear shelf but the screen can get condensation on it in cold weather
Agree that condensation is inevitable with internal screens in this weather.

The outer Comfortz cover is excellent. Does mean that front doors can not be opened though. Just shake water from it and stuff in its own bag, until you get a chance to hang and dry properly.

Last edited:
Also depends how much of a blackout you like. First couple of trips in ours there always seemed to be a campsite light positioned perfectly to shine through the gaps when using the internal screens.
Bought an external one from Silverscreens, insulating and no gaps!

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Achieving total blackout isn’t a high priority for us (we’re sleeping up top anyway) and not really had an issue thermal-wise (though not slept in sub-zero yet!). Condensation on the windscreen in winter has been a problem though (in our limited use so far) so anything to help alleviate that would be good (I’m also ordering a rechargeable dehumidifier and will be experimenting with venting setup to get that bit right!). We don’t tend to open the front doors once the seats are swivelled, so that’s not an issue.

I quite like the factory side window covers (don’t think they’re magnetic – it’s the wire-framed ones that just pop into place) and I like the simplicity of just sticking with the factory windscreen cover as many of you have – but I can see myself breaking the sun visors when trying to fit/remove it in a hurry, and find it a real pain to get the bottom strip to wedge into the base of the windscreen/dash properly. Sounds like a few of you have the same curtain as me (it’s not the one with poles @hotel california mentioned), though do you just leave it hang (like @WelshGas) rather than trying to wedge it in?

Very fair point @hotel california that there will inevitably be stuff that needs drying out after a wet trip, though I'd like to minimise that as much as possible, at least for short trips.

I borrowed the Bandrup external screen once, which seemed to work well (even without the Velcro fitted to the van, in the dry at least!) though you’re not the only one @ArunAlec that I’ve seen saying it delaminates easily.

Decisions, decisions…and I thought all the deciding was over when we’d finally settled on buying the van!

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Achieving total blackout isn’t a high priority for us (we’re sleeping up top anyway) and not really had an issue thermal-wise (though not slept in sub-zero yet!). Condensation on the windscreen in winter has been a problem though (in our limited use so far) so anything to help alleviate that would be good (I’m also ordering a rechargeable dehumidifier and will be experimenting with venting setup to get that bit right!). We don’t tend to open the front doors once the seats are swivelled, so that’s not an issue.

I quite like the factory side window covers (don’t think they’re magnetic – it’s the wire-framed ones that just pop into place) and I like the simplicity of just sticking with the factory windscreen cover as many of you have – but I can see myself breaking the sun visors when trying to fit/remove it in a hurry, and find it a real pain to get the bottom strip to wedge into the base of the windscreen/dash properly. Sounds like a few of you have the same curtain as me (it’s not the one with poles @hotel california mentioned), though do you just leave it hang (like @WelshGas) rather than trying to wedge it in?

Very fair point @hotel california that there will inevitably be stuff that needs drying out after a wet trip, though I'd like to minimise that as much as possible, at least for short trips.

I borrowed the Bandrup external screen once, which seemed to work well (even without the Velcro fitted to the van, in the dry at least!) though you’re not the only one @ArunAlec that I’ve seen saying it delaminates easily.

Decisions, decisions…and I thought all the deciding was over when we’d finally settled on buying the van!
If Condensation is a problem then Ventilation is the answer. If you get condensation on the windscreen then ventilation is in adequate. If you use a Thermal Cover to get rid of the condensation WITHOUT addressing the ventilation then the condensation is still present within the vehicle, just in places you can't see on the body panels within the furniture or behind the trim panels.
So whatever you use get the ventilation sorted first and if it's cold, well that's why there is a Parking Heater.:thumb

If Condensation is a problem then Ventilation is the answer. If you get condensation on the windscreen then ventilation is in adequate. If you use a Thermal Cover to get rid of the condensation WITHOUT addressing the ventilation then the condensation is still present within the vehicle, just in places you can't see on the body panels within the furniture or behind the trim panels.
So whatever you use get the ventilation sorted first and if it's cold, well that's why there is a Parking Heater.:thumb

We have had a little issue with condensation, but I not too bad I guess. To be honest, the worst was in a Cali we hired twice just before we bought ours, but then the footwells were also soaking wet in that van for some reason (o_O)! Still learning our way around the van at the moment and still working myself up to the concept of leaving the windows cracked open with the heater on! Anyway, it's not the main reason for wanting a new windscreen cover and I know that won't magically reduce the humidity, but if it helps keeps water condensing on the windscreen then great. Dehumidifier on order, so between that and playing with optimum window positions I'll hopefully have it all sorted by the time the weather warms up!! I probably still won't have decided on which cover by then anyway....ha!

We have both, usually internal screens for summer and external for winter when condensation is a bigger problem. Only issue I have with external one is front door opening is limited.

We use a small folding screen cover on the inside (example picture below). It is black on one side and silver on the other. The silver side reflects the sun and helps to keep the temperature down on the inside of the van. It is much quicker and easier to put in place than the weighted fabric one which comes with the van.
If we are parked where we are not overlooked we don’t tend to bother with the front screen cover at all.
DF06F44C-0D7A-4E50-9E13-C5D3CED79303.png

I like internal screens as
  • they won’t get knicked
  • if you need to look out you can easily without leaving the van or opening windows
  • if you get in to any bother you can drive away without leaving the van or opening windows
  • they aren’t getting wet/dirty from the outside elements
We have internal screens for the cab from Caktanks. Really well made and fix by suction. You can also buy their fabric by the metre and the fixings too if you want to make screens for the other windows. Keeps the sun out or the heat in. Fold up fairly small and come with a storage bag.

Last edited:
Thermal internal screens for the cab from Caktanks. Really well made and fix by suction. You can also buy their fabric by the metre and the fixings too if you want to make screens for the other windows.

The external thermal screen is the most effective in terms of keeping the sun away from the windshield and keeping the cali cooler in the summer , also more effective in cold avoiding frozen window and less condensation on the inside .
Also the best way to make it fully dark .
Bulky and needs drying , yes , but lots of stuf needs drying returning from a wet trip , roof canvas and wind-out awning the most important
I store the external screen (as many do) in a campingseat in the boothdoor.

The lighter fabric inner screens with the poles are indeed fidly i think , i got the roller blinds build in the a-pilars and very happy with them for stealth camping and a quick black out .
The inner side window screens are the foldable ones (not the magnets ones) and also happy with those.
Outside silver screens
No contest !

Outside silver screens
No contest !
I use the silver screens when winter camping but they are a pain to pack when wet and make the van very dark.
The standard internal blinds/side window screens are fitted/removed in moment, we always try to go to sites with views and we look forward to revealing the scene whilst brewing our first espresso.

I use the silver screens when winter camping but they are a pain to pack when wet and make the van very dark.
The standard internal blinds/side window screens are fitted/removed in moment, we always try to go to sites with views and we look forward to revealing the scene whilst brewing our first espresso.
Silver screens allow the main portion ( held by strong Velcro) to be rolled down / removed
Totally eliminates interior condensation even when freezing outside and heating on inside

Silver screens allow the main portion ( held by strong Velcro) to be rolled down / removed
Totally eliminates interior condensation even when freezing outside and heating on inside
As I stated we do use silver screens in winter for the reasons you list and I agree the front portion can be lowered but unfortunately the side windows and parts of the windscreen are still covered.
As Welsh Gas has noted many times condensation will have appeared somewhere else in the van, that high humidity generated by cooking/breathing will find another cold surface to condense on, probably out of sight.

As I stated we do use silver screens in winter for the reasons you list and I agree the front portion can be lowered but unfortunately the side windows and parts of the windscreen are still covered.
As Welsh Gas has noted many times condensation will have appeared somewhere else in the van, that high humidity generated by cooking/breathing will find another cold surface to condense on, probably out of sight.
Pays yer money !